Brides on a Mission: Week 4

Options

Replies

• Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I had to go to our jeweler today to get my ring re-sized! I used to wear a size 9, was measured at an 8 when we were ring shopping (Feb) and it fit just fine when Greg proposed (June). Now they have me at like 7.5-7! I have a ring guard on for now and once I hit my goal weight the jeweler said he will take the ring in then...it isn't that great to have to re-sized multiple times he told me.

Did the jeweler say why it wasn't good to have it re-sized multiple times?

I ask because I took mine in to get it re-sized from a 7 to a 7.25 and they made it a 9.25. Then because he had made the mistake he fix it by changing it to a 7.25.
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    I had to go to our jeweler today to get my ring re-sized! I used to wear a size 9, was measured at an 8 when we were ring shopping (Feb) and it fit just fine when Greg proposed (June). Now they have me at like 7.5-7! I have a ring guard on for now and once I hit my goal weight the jeweler said he will take the ring in then...it isn't that great to have to re-sized multiple times he told me.

Has that happend to anyone else yet? It makes me want to have a kick *kitten* workout this afternoon!

Yep I have to go in this weekend and get a ring guard. I almost lose mine the minute my hand gets wet...and my hands sweat A LOT lol...So now I'm paranoid. But I'm not getting mine resized until we order the wedding and 1 year anniversary band. They can size them all at once

WHERE COULD I FIND A RING GUARD TILL I CAN GET MINE RESIZED
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

WHERE COULD I FIND A RING GUARD TILL I CAN GET MINE RESIZED

Walmart has them - go to the jewelry section and ask for ring spacers
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options

Hello,
    I am new here. New to being engaged and this thread, not to MFP. I just got engaged on Friday night and have no clue what I am doing or how to plan a wedding! I have been waiting for this a long time. Nine years and two kids later he asked me to be his wife and I think I am still in shock! laugh
    Where did you all start?
    How can I figure out a budget? (We are very poor :tongue: )
    He doesn't even want a wedding (court house tomorrow would make him happy) but he knows I do, so we will have a small wedding with close family and maybe some friends.

I don't know about you all, but I can't stop looking at my ring! love

CONGRATS!!! I've been engaged 1 and 1/2 years and when the sun hits my ring while i'm driving and i notice it sparkle, i still stop and stare...

I'm a little neurotic with the wedding planning, so the first thing I did was buy a book. It's from Bride's Magazine and was maybe $15. Totally worth it for us because it had some great guidelines and questions to ask vendors. The next thing I did was get a 3-ring binder and divide it into sections (flowers, ceremony, reception, music, etc) and every time I thought of an idea, or saw an idea, it went into the book. Great for keeping me organized and remembering all those "great" ideas I have come across along the way. Our budget isn't huge, but we haven't had to pinch pennies as much, but we're still utilizing our friends and family as much as possible. His mom is an amazing seamstress and will be making my veil, a bridesmaid's aunt is a professional seamstress who does wedding gown alterations, so she's doing mine (and will probably not charge me as much). An old childhood friend is doing our photographs (she is a professional wedding photographer and we loved her engagement session she did with us) and a family friend will be doing the ceremony music. I would be careful in asking people do to things if you are a perfectionist or don't trust their work. No need to ruin a friendship.

I am also a huge fan of marthastewartliving.com. some great DIY ideas.

Good luck!
    Jennifer

I'm doing all of my own wedding planning on a budget. So far the most money I've spent is going to be on my dress ($300) but it's something I can wear again since it's knee length and a style that I would normally wear (we're having a vintage/ military wedding).

For ceremony location we found a war memorial in town and we're doing it there for just family and standing only- no chair rental or site rental needed.

For reception we found a community center that has chairs and tables available, so I just have to decorate and pay for linen rental. Plus it just got remodeled and has a game room for kids and a nice huge kitchen.

My mom is going to cater and we're just going to do lots of hors d'oeuvres and that cuts the cost by A TON! We're going to buy alcohol and hire a bar tender, but that works out to be a lot cheaper than having a caterer come in.

Flowers are going to be ordered in bulk a month in advance from Costco and the bridesmaids and I are going to make the flower arrangements the night before the wedding.

Photographer (and this is a big one)- I found a TFCD (trade for CD) photographer on craigslist and was able to look at their portfolio. These type of photographers are usually just starting out and trying to build their portfolios, so they'll shoot your wedding for free and give you a CD in return. Just make sure you look at their work before you decide to go with them.

And since I managed to save so much on everything, my parents decided to reward me with a beautiful pair of blue, peep-toe Christian Louboutin stilettos to get married in... huge splurge there- but my dad gave me a $5,000 budget and I've only managed to run up costs to $2,000
  • Meganne1982
    Options

Has that happend to anyone else yet? It makes me want to have a kick *kitten* workout this afternoon!

Yes! I can still wear it, but it slides around a lot and so I know I'm going to have to resize- I've started looking into where to go to do so. But I figure my fingers can't possibly get much smaller. I have always had freakishly small hands. I'm 5'9", I wear a size 12 pants, and my now too loose ring is only a 5 1/2! I'm kinda nervous my fingers might end up like pencils!
  • Meganne1982
    Options

Yes! I can still wear it, but it slides around a lot and so I know I'm going to have to resize- I've started looking into where to go to do so. But I figure my fingers can't possibly get much smaller. I have always had freakishly small hands. I'm 5'9", I wear a size 12 pants, and my now too loose ring is only a 5 1/2! I'm kinda nervous my fingers might end up like pencils!

PS- where did you get your ring guard? I didn't know such a thing existed :)
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options

Did the jeweler say why it wasn't good to have it re-sized multiple times?

I ask because I took mine in to get it re-sized from a 7 to a 7.25 and they made it a 9.25. Then because he had made the mistake he fix it by changing it to a 7.25.

He just said that streaching and un-streaching multiple times isn't good for anything. He said as long as I can do with the ring gaurd for a while then it would just be better for the ring mount...less handling and less of a chance for something to go wrong. I am sure yours will be fine! He was just really worried with mine because they do not have another ring like mine and he didn't want to mess up the mount and then I wouldn't have "my" ring!
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options

PS- where did you get your ring guard? I didn't know such a thing existed :)

My jeweler put it on for me. I think walmart has them too, but I dont know how they are put on. I would think Kohls has them too.
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    Ugh! I weighed in this AM...I gained 3.2lbs in a week! :cry: I have only worked out twice this week, ate out 3 times since Monday, and haven't controlled my portion size! Ahhhh I need to get this back under control.

I have family in from out of town. They are not the most healthy of people....well far from it. They eat whatever they want really. It is hard to eat healthy when all they have is cookies, cake, chips, ect around. I love my cousin and aunt to death but they are so unhealthy it isn't even funny. You would think that seeing how they are would make me want to not eat how they are eating.....I didn't do too bad but I really like food! If it is infornt of me I will eat it. :blushing: When I am at home I do really good because I buy healthy food. My grandma bought and made so many goodies and they are all sitting aorund her house waiting for me to eat them! My family goes back to SC on Monday so hopefully I can make some changes before then and really make it count when I need it! But I am ready to kick butt at the gym on Monday!

I want to sign up for a group fitness class at my Y, but they are just too expensive for me right now. I have to pay a "non-member fee" because I am under my dad's family membership at his local Y in the city (it is too long of a drive to go there and take the classes). I can use my local Y but only for their machines and running track. It is hard that I am in school and don't really have a job to pay for something like this yet. I love, love, love group fitness classes and had lost a ton of weight doing them 4 days a week a few years ago. Maybe I can figure something out!

Sorry to rant and rave this week! I am just so stuck between wanting to eat what I want, finding time to workout, and wanting to be healthy. I just want to thank everyone for their support! This website trully is something that is addicting and it is because of all the friends that I have made! I am so glad that we have this group! :smile:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I WAS THERE! I was sooooo ready to just cancel everything and disappear over the Christmas holidays and elope!! My mom and I were fighting over EVERYTHING. It's gotten better but this weekend is the dreaded guess list talk with her... she wants to invite so many people that I don't want at my wedding.. it's super annoying and since we are splitting the wedding 50/50 on cost and it's MY wedding, I feel like I should have final say... but apparently that makes me a bridezilla!

You're not a bridezilla. I had to explain the very same thing to my mom a week or two ago. She wanted me to invite a whole list of distant cousins, ones that I couldn't pick out if Isaw them on the street.:-P I basically told her that the church wouldn't accomodate that many guests and that we simply couldn't afford it. Plus, we are trying to keep it a small-medium size wedding and would really be pushing it to add that many names to the list. She sulked a bit, but she got over it. It's NOT being a bridezilla, it's been sane and economical!*LOL*

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    [I hear ya...I'll post the name of the stree free bridal magazine I bought yesterday, maybe there's some tips in there that can help us...

Are you gals getting a lot of your ideas from bridal magazines or particular websites? I use both. I love the Knot, Brides, Bridal Guide, and Martha Stewart's Weddings, and Real Simple Weddings (this is the one I've used the most). The other magazines out there seem too uppity to me. I also use the Wedding Channel website the most. We have our wedding website set up through their site too.

http://fryfrantz.ourwedding.com

Shannon
  • agoessli
    agoessli Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Where are you guys getting your bridesmaid dresses? This is something I don't want my girls to have to spend a ton on...but they all seem fairly expensive....I'm open to ANY ideas???
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Where are you guys getting your bridesmaid dresses? This is something I don't want my girls to have to spend a ton on...but they all seem fairly expensive....I'm open to ANY ideas???

I have been looking on Alfredangelo.com. There are alot of cute dresses for under 125 dollars. Especially if you want shorter dresses.

Also, Davids bridal has some good deals. :)
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful brides!

I took your advise wannabrn10, and got a magazine last night while at the store. Real Simple Weddings. Shannon also mentioned she liked this one, but I didn't see that until today. While it was very informative it was also extremely overwhelming for me! I am a simple, flip flop kind of girl, and although I am enjoying thinking about all the little possibilities I am also scared that I will not be able to pull this whole thing off without spending tons of money I don’t have. I know I will, but there is soooo much to do and think about. The time line and check lists were especially daunting for me. But I was relieved to see that everything is spelled out so I don’t feel like I have no clue what needs to be done, or that I am missing some important information that all “normal brides” are clued in on. I don’t feel like the typical bride. I will be planning and paying for everything myself and because we have been together for so long and already have two children together I feel like I shouldn’t care about having such a big fuss over every little detail. I really want great pictures of the event, and I want to look and feel beautiful in my “perfect dress” but other than that I don’t have many expectations. Well, I do expect Kris to show up and look handsome also, lol.
    Did any of you feel like you shouldn’t talk about the wedding very much with your fiancé at first so you don’t scare him? I feel like if I show all my excitement he might feel very overwhelmed, after all we have been engaged less than a week and it took him nine years to get to this point.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    My fiance doesn't want anything to do with the planning- he just knows he wants a military wedding and is on board for whatever I come up with. My only issue is that he wants to invite 500 people that he knows and I'd rather keep the wedding small and intimate.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had to coax my fiance into proposing but I think it helped that he knew I wanted a really long engagement... I just wanted my ring before I graduated college so I could show it off :-P

So talking about the wedding didn't really happen until a year or so after we got engaged and I think he was more comfortable with the idea then.. But he isn't really involved. It's basically me and my mom doing all of the planning and I just let him know what's going on. I'm honestly kind of glad he doesn't want to be involved... I hate saying "no" and I would be doing a lot of it :-P
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    My fiance is really excited about the wedding...but not all the little details. He has really good input. If I say what do you think about this...he normally says "thats nice" but then ask questions and even will say "well how about something like this too." I am kind of surprised. I think he really wants everything to look nice and really put together. He is the first in his family on his moms side(of the grandkids) to be getting married. We have been to a few weddings on his dads side of the grandkids and they were really, really nice weddings. He wants people to talk about our wedding like we talk about those weddings that we have been to that were a lot of fun.....I dont blame him!
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    1. Weight loss/inches lost this week: 1lb..12 more to go until goal! 4lbs this month!!! :)
    2. Highlight of the past week: (not weight, just something exciting that happened): I finished up my J-term class and have 3 more classes until I have my Bachelor's degree in Nursing!!!
    3. Lowlight of the past week (not weight, just something that you need support with): Didn't have much of a low this week.
    4. What is your first dance song and are you taking dance lessons/planning a “special” performance: Michael Buble...haven't figured out what song yet!
    5. About how many people will be attending your wedding: 150-175
    6. Any wedding news updates: We hired a decorator!! So happy!!
    7. How is your fiancé handling your healthy living changes: He loves it, and roots me on everyday!! He doesn't think I need to lose weight but he knows how much I want it!
    8. How did you do with the week 3 challenge (adding 10 minutes onto each workout): Umm not that good..ha ha! This week will be better!
    9. Weekly wrap up: Hope everyone has a fabulous week this week and think skinny!!! :) You are all beautiful brides who deserve to look your best on the best day of your life!! :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    2. Highlight of the past week: (not weight, just something exciting that happened): Found SUPER cute bridal attendant gifts that I am very excited about :-) Also, my fiance just graduated in December and had an interview for a job that would double his current salary...he has his second interview today....crossing my fingers!

I've taken care of my girls and moms too. What did you decide on?*curious* I purchased earrings and necklace sets for the wedding itself and I'm putting them inside of Vera Bradley purses (Dan's sister collects them).

We've got the BM a weather station that mounts on the wall because he's into that. There's a spot to put a picture of us into it, which we thought was neat and really personalized the gift.

I have NO clue what to do for the Dads yet. My father likes guitars and oldies music a lot. Dan's dad likes collecting trains and oldies music and coffee. I'm hoping to spend around $50. Any ideas?

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Wow! There are two gals in here we just got engaged within the last two weeks. Congrats to both of you!

I know I've been engaged for almost a year now, but I still find myself staring at my ring and smiling.:-D

Shannon