Soup Recipes?

Options
Any suggestions for healthy soup recipes?

Replies

• jenkline75
    jenkline75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for soup recipes last night and stumbled across this website http://www.healthy-quick-meals.com/homemade-soup-recipes.html. I haven't tried any of them yet but went to the store today and picked up the ingredients for a few of them.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Soup is a lot about personal taste. But the one thing I recomment is using an organic reduced sodium broth, unless you are making your own broth. Even though soup seems like a healthy choice, many of the commerical soups are loaded with sodium, even the reduced sodium ones or healthy heart ones. I like to put pearl barley in mine for some substance, but then veggies and/or meat of your choice. You can also make a home made noodle soup, but I prefer to use whole wheat pasta. Good luck and be creative!
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup:

1 can black beans
    1 can dark red kidney beans
    1 can light red kidney beans
    1 can corn
    2 cans diced, no salt added tomatoes (or 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can Rotel-style tomatoes)
    1 lb ground (*and browned*) turkey/beef (optional--tastes great w/o and still is packed full of protein)
    1/2 packet of Taco or Fajita Seasoning (Or put whatever kind of seasonings in you want! Tabasco sauce is good, too!)

Heat on stove or in slow cooker until heated through. Serve hot with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips or corn chips.
  • luckymommy
    luckymommy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "Weight watchers soup" is low in calories and tastes yummy too. I change up the veggies all the time. I also make a southwestern chicken and white bean soup- making it tomorrow actually! Im using dry beans this time and leftover pork though, we'll see how it turns out...
    3 cups nonfat beef broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat vegetable broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat chicken broth (beef is the best)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 cups chopped cabbage
    1/2 yellow onion
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup green beans
    1/2 cup chopped zucchini
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    salt & pepper

Directions:
    Prep Time: 7 mins

Total Time: 32 mins
    1 Spray pot with non stick cooking spray saute onions carrots and garlic for 5 minutes.
    2 Add broth, Tomato paste, cabbage, green beans, basil, oregano and Salt & Pepper to taste.
    3 Simmer for a about 5-10 minutes until all vegetables are tender then add the zuccini and simmer for another 5 or so minu

Southwestern Chicken and White Bean Soup

2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1 tablespoon 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning (such as Old El Paso)
    Cooking spray
    2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup green salsa
    Light sour cream (optional)
    Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Combine chicken and taco seasoning; toss well to coat. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken; sauté 2 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned. Add broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.

2. Place beans in a small bowl; mash until only a few whole beans remain. Add beans and salsa to pan, stirring well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thick. Serve with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 134 (19% from fat); FAT 3g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.5g); IRON 1.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 40mg; CALCIUM 22mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.5g; SODIUM 623mg; PROTEIN 18g; FIBER 1.8g
  • SeeDavidLose
    SeeDavidLose Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much.
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    oh,bumping this to remember later! We've been looking for the WW soup!
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do a lovely soup, all veg. Onions, carrots, parsnips, celery, red and yellow peppers and a veg buillion cube
    Delish and no PPs
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    BUMPING THIS!!!!!!!!
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here is a great cauliflower potato soup

1 head cauliflower cut into florets
    1 large russet or yukon gold potato cubed
    2 carrots
    2 celery stalks
    1 container low sodium chicken stock

Put all the goodies into a pot and simmer about 20 mins until the cauliflower and potato are fork tender. Strain the stock from the veggies, put the veggies in a blender (i take the celery and carrot out at this point). Add enough stock back in to blend so the soup is thick (i like a thick hearty soup), put the soup back into the pot and here are some options depending on how many calories/fat etc

Add 1/2 c skim milk or whole fat or just a few TBS 1/2 and 1/2
    Add 1/2 c to 1 c 2% sharp cheddar or 1/2 c to 1 c shredded swiss or gryuere and mix until smooth

Also can skip milk step add cheese and add 1/2 c Greek Yogurt

It is a great soup and my husband thinks he is eating baked potato soup ha ha!