Hello Everyone

Options
I have about 150 lbs to lose. This is my first week on MFP. I found out about this website in weightloss group I am part of at a local hospital. I have gained a lot of weight since graduating from college 11 years ago. My first week I lost 12 lbs following the hospital program to a T. I am using this to hold myself accountable. My wife is doing it with me, we are eachothers best support. Feel free to add me. My goal is 100 lbs by June. Granted it sounds like a lot, but very do-able, with my current weight being were it is. I have tried and was successful at losing weight in the past, but unfortunately has gained it back and then some. I feel this website will help me be more accountable for my actions. Good Luck to All. Feel free to add me for support or just to chat.

Replies

• elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! :flowerforyou: I love it here!

I wish you luck on your journey, but just a word of caution. I started out at 290, and have lost 113 since then. It's taken me a little over two years. I did lose a lot at first (about 20lbs my first two weeks), but after that it slowed down considerably. I've found that this is common for very overweight or obese individuals.

Of course, every body is different, so your mileage may (will) vary; but there's nothing more frustrating than hoping you'll lose a bunch of weight and then coming up short. I strongly recommend you set your goal for 1-2lbs of loss a week. It's better to keep your expectations realistic, and just be pleasantly surprised if you happen to lose more. :smile:

Not to mention, slower weight loss is much healthier on your body, and you're more likely to keep it off for good after making the gradual changes needed to maintain a healthier lifestyle.

Good luck to you!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    thanks for the support. it is all being medically monitored by a series of doctors, psychologists, and exercise physiologists. i am basically taking in about 1000 callories a day. the first day was tough, very hungry, but it seems to get easier each day. i have had the urge to cheat at times, but keep telling myself that i don't want to go back to my ways. it's basically a modified fast bfast, lunch, snack (shake) and then a low carb dinner. it's unbelievable how much one can look forward to dinner. it also helps you realize how much one should really eat during the day.

if i don't drop the weight i am looking for with this program, this website will be a great help in dropping the additional pounds i would like.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is working well for you, and since you're under doctor supervision, I wish you the best of luck! And again, welcome! :flowerforyou: