If you run, I need your help

yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok I really don't want to ask this question but it is getting problematique!!!

Ok here we go....I started doing C25K. I am at W5D2 done tonight my goal is to be able to run a half marathon next fall. So everything is going great except when I started doing longer runs. After a few minutes I need to go....to the bathroom :blushing: for...well you know what I mean. It bum me out to have to stop running to go to the bathroom. I can't go before. I am really worried of when I will be running outside or when I will do official runs.

Help!!! any tricks from the pros??? At least tell me I am not a freak!!!! :embarassed:

Replies

• curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Ha ha. You have the trots, the runner's trots that is (I'm assuming it is #2). Not funny problem though. I have read up on this a lot over the past two years, as I have had the same trouble off and on. I have been running for years, but have only had this problem for the past couple. It seems to be on longer harder runs, especially in the summer, so I have sworn off long distances in the hottest months. I can put in 4 or 5 miles without trouble, but after that, its a toss up.
    Anyway, you basically have to see what helps you. I definitely wouldn't be using any energy beans, bars, gels, etc if you are not doing a half marathon or more right now. You have to keep yourself hydrated with water, or you can try some electrolye solution if it is really hot or your run if fairly long (over an hour or so). I have even had to see a doctor just to make sure there wasn't anything more serious lurking, and his suggestion after colonoscopy and other tests negative, is to just find out what works for you.

I have found that eating food low in fiber the day before a long run, and eliminating milk products as well the day before helps. Also cut back on the diet foods and caffeine, as they can have stimulants in them. I try to get up and eat something small, like a bagel and banana or something like that for breakfast with water. Then wait an hour or so and go for my run. Hopefully things "get moving" before I go for my morning run which cuts down on my worries during a long run. Also, NO COFFEE! Major stimulant.

Try some different things and see what works so you will know before your race. Otherwise, take lots of TP and run close to restrooms. Good luck!
  • Try to hydrate yourself. Drink water before and during your run-that will help with stomach cramping.
    I take over the counter Immodium before long runs and during race days of half marathons. It was recommended by a GI doctor of my and it's worked wonders. :smile:
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    By the way, I have read that as many as 50% of runners have had this problem at one point or another. Guess that's why the porta johns are always full during races. My problem has gotten better since I have lost the last 10 pounds or so and the weather has gotten cooler, but I still have some cramping and what not now and then, but not nearly as bad.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    I've had this problem before. I think it may have to do with a build up of lactate acid in the body. If you work your body hard, this is what happens. Of course, having a lot to get rid of doesn't help matters either.

I live in a small town and would jog out in the country, so apart from sneaking into a corn field, I didn't have many options. I have memories of turning around 3 miles from home and just about making it to my bathroom. Just about. I even called my dad to pick me up once, since I was 5 miles from civilization, and it was an emergency.

Despite all this, I still loved running.
This discussion has been closed.