Fruit & Nut Mixes

Options
I'm trying to cut down on my snacking and thought picking up a bag of random fruit and nut would be a good idea..

The bag (200g) is 510Lcal!

The app seems to think my daily intake should be 1620, I'm I'm chucking over 500 of that away on snacking then maybe I'm going wrong somewhere?

Replies

• clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try to keep small portions of fruit and nuts for snacking. No more than 40g (I try to keep it lower if only nuts). Much better than eating the whole 200g :smile:
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fruit and nut mixes are a good healthy snacking choice, but unfortunately most nuts are very high in calories due to their high fat content.

Try buying large bags of trail mix and splitting them into small, 300-calorie portions.
  • mclouge
    Options
    nuts are very high in calaries but least there good for you why not half or quater the bag and mix it with an apple or banana instead to help fill you up on less calories...
    Sure a bag of popcorn would be half of that
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    It's true, when it comes to nuts one must take it easy. I usually eat a handful (1/4 of a cup) of raw cashews and mix it with half a handful of raisins or cranraisins. In addition, I try to keep pineapple/oranges/bananas handy for quick snacks. I get the munchies at work sometimes so I get creative and it keeps me away from the vending machine. Hope this helps.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Try WHOLE fruits instead of fried ones and Whole Raw nuts instead of roasted salted ones. Generally the reason people snack to much is they are not getting enough calories in there main meals or eating foods that have chemicals in them that cause you to not feel satisfied with what you have eaten. Also you have to remember nuts are a great source of heathy fats, fiber. Yes they may be higher in calories but sometimes is about eating Quality calories vs just empy calories.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Try WHOLE fruits instead of fried ones and Whole Raw nuts instead of roasted salted ones. Generally the reason people snack to much is they are not getting enough calories in there main meals or eating foods that have chemicals in them that cause you to not feel satisfied with what you have eaten. Also you have to remember nuts are a great source of heathy fats, fiber. Yes they may be higher in calories but sometimes is about eating Quality calories vs just empy calories.

I agree with this as well. Raw nuts and whole fruits are the best choice.
  • Trig0r
    Trig0r Posts: 47
    Options
    Awww crap, I just read the label properly, its 510Kcal per 100g!!!!
    Theres about 1/4 of the bag left... lol
    The packet consists of..

55% Peanuts (paleskin peanuts, blanched peanuts, redskin peanuts)
    29% Raisins (Raisins, vegetable oil)
    8% Brazil Nuts
    5% Almonds
    3% Hazelnuts

Problem is when I open something I find myself eatting whatevers in the packet, I do the same with yogart, I eat the onken ones (http://www.oetker.co.uk/oetker_uk/html/default/debi-7m2med.en.html) and eat a whole one of them in one go..
    Think its time to start buying large and then rebagging, should be a bit easier as the other half is going to start on the same thing as well at the end of the month so at least there will be a bit of competition/support between us..