Waist not, want not

Options
Did I get some of the grammar pedants to click that link? I hope so, because we grammar pedants ought to stick together, and this rotund Asian man could use your help. I would apologize for tricking you to click this topic, but I haven't had any coffee yet, so apologies aren't in the cards.

Anyway! Where does one measure one's waist? I've read websites that say "above your hipbones." That's tricky, since I have a generous layer of fat covering those and it's difficult to feel them out. Typically male, I guess - most of my excess baggage accumulates around my gut. I did give it a whirl, and decided that "above my hipbones" was more or less right above my belly button.

Another website said "use your natural waist, which is where your pants sit." The waistband of my pants is an inch or so above my, um, plumber's crack. I took that measurement too.

The "above the hipbones" measurement today was 45 inches. The "pants on the ground" measurement was 37.5 inches. Quite a difference, yes? Told you I was a rotund Asian man!

Which measurement is the appropriate one for the purposes of MFP's body measurement metrics?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to get the same place every time. Some measure the smallest part (which may change location as you lose weight, you can do the belly button (easy to get same spot every time) or a certain distance above or below the belly button, this makes it easier to get the same spot every time.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the key. If you want to use an online bodyfat calculator though, they say around the belly button. Unfortunately those aren't very accurate. Especially for people with a lot of weight to lose.
  • ktmarie11
    Options
    I've always heard that if you bend your upper body to the side, wherever the natural crease is is your natural waist line. Usually the skinniest part. :)
  • QueenObscene69
    QueenObscene69 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    about an inch above your belly button at the slimmest part of your waist.

being a model, i have to measure my waist all the time so you can trust me on this. haha. it's how the pros do it! :P
  • DoingTheNeedful
    DoingTheNeedful Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I get the message that whichever measurement I use, I ought to be consistent about it. I might just take both measurements going forward, and just pick one (either above-the-belly-button or pants-on-the-ground) for the purposes of MFP's metrics.
  • homemom3
    Options
    I am so glad someone asked this because I've been wondering myself. I thought it was just below the ribs but hubby kept insisting it was at my belly button. :)