Options
Starting...

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends!

Hope you all had a good weekend. :smile:

My goals this week: drink more water, intervals 3x this week, push ups 3x, sit ups at least 3x, and log my food. Trying to get back on track regardless of how I feel.
    Today I have to get caught up on cleaning, do school with Alex, run some errands, and take Alex to tumbling class. I should be able to get my work out in today since it's a light afternoon, but if I go crazy on the cleaning I may wait till tomorrow. Both need to be done.
    That's it for now. I may post again later with the goals I got accomplished today.

All feelings aside boogaloo!
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Morning pebbs,
    MM, you just beat me to it.:wink:

I'm looking this week at trying to establish a pretty rigid work/workout schedule. I'm excited about leaving the one gym (so I can use the extra dollars to pay down some debt). But, this means that I lose some of my workout flexibility, at least until winter is over and I can exercise outside in nature's treadmill.:tongue:

Here are my goals for the week:

1. Keeping my sat fat and trans fat under MFP's guidelines. I think I simply need to lay off the dairy, especially cheese and butter. I feel like I don't use that much of either, but it adds up so quickly. To this, I'm aiming to re-try my old goal of one vegan meal a day. Yesterday, I had roasted kobucha squash with a tahini garlic sauce and a few handfuls of spinach (everything got warm and combine-y...) it was awesome, and satisfying.

2. Workouts: dance M/W, Zumba R/Sun, Yoga or weights T/Fri (if my trainer is available, Friday will turn into a session with weights with her). Saturday: actual day off.

3. Work: two hours five days (11-1 with a short break M, W, R, F and Sun).

Gah, that seems like enough. February 1st I'll have some weight classes and a muy thai class at the gym I'm sticking with, so that should give me more options. Right now, I'm my own mild drill sargeant.

Sargeant Boogaloo reporting for duty, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I beginning to count the weekends left in SA. There are parts of training I really like - Teaching Methodology, never had that, wow what a concept, teach me how to teach - other parts, not so much - I really care about my chakras - or any New Agey/quasi-religious part of yoga. In fact, my hard yoga teacher said, "you're all about the asana (postures), and could leave the philosophy behind." Yep, spot on.

Mediation, on the other hand, is completely different. Catholics mediate when they pray the rosary or walk the stations of the cross. Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims all have a form of mediation. Sooo, I'm going to learn how tonight. The next 5 weeks, I'm going to mindfulness mediation after yoga. While yoga can be mediation in motion, I feel I should learn seated mediation as well. It comes from the Buddhist tradition (Thich Naht Hanh is considered a master of mindfulness), but the Buddhism is taken out. So, that should be interesting.

So yoga and walking for exercise.

All about the asana, boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    :yawn: morning, pebbs...

Up early to go teach/prepare to go teach. I worked so much on my own stuff yesterday I forgot to plan. Oops.

Today, I'm aiming to walk home from the subway (providing it's not snowing like crazy or too cold...and it might be either or both of those) and then do a short weights workout (upper body/abs) or short yoga, depending on what my body wants to do. Probably yoga, as I'll come home to an empty house.

Have planned my food out for the rest of the week. Sat down yesterday, put it into my diary and made a few shopping lists (I have the luxury of being able to shop every few days easily in my neighbourhood) Since I feel a bit stalled, I'm eating a little fewer base calories as an experiment (since it's all really good...I still feel really full, like I'm eating a lot...but I am noticing how many of my calories came in the form "butter: one tablespoon" or "cheese: one ounce.").

Wishing for warmth, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I will finish my paper today.

I also plan on doing volunteer work, walking, laundry, and cooking.

Mediation was ok yesterday. I will try it for 5 weeks. If I don't notice anything, I can stop. I'm starting with 10 minutes today. They did 20 minutes last night, which I thought was too long for beginners. It's hard to sit up straight when you are starting out.

Finish, boogaloo!
  • SMJ64
    SMJ64 Posts: 66
    Options
    hi friends.

not doing very well..had a bad day yesterday. feeling overwhelmed by career stuff. confusion mostly. I think I need a teacher or mentor or something but not sure how to go about finding someone I can trust.

I've not logged for a few days but am not overeating (so far) wasn't hungry at all last night which is unusual cuz night is the worst time for munchies.

Haven't exercised in days. I feel it....I sure hope this turns around soon. Not sure how it will...feels like I'm lost at sea waiting for a rescue. should I be my own rescuer I wonder?

boogalooishly perplexed.
    s.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    SMJ, it's okay to have a bad day once in awhile. I'm having a bad month...or two. At least your not overeating. I am.

I got on the treadmill and walked/jogged for 30 minutes. My heart wasn't in it. We're going through some junk right now. I thought the work out would help but it didn't really seem to. I cried in the shower afterwards. That didn't help either. Talking with friends did help a little. :)
    I'm kind of tired today and unmotivated. I'm not sure what I am going to get done. I am thinking I might take a rest day. I need to get some cleaning and laundry done, and it seems like that's all I have energy for. Alex and Steve are both going through the crud now. I hope it's what I've already had and not something new. I really need to be healthy soon. I miss feeling good.
    Have a good Tuesday!
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Morning pebbs,

Despite my lack of planning, I had a great class yesterday. I must remember to do the following more often: grab a CD, and resolve to "talk about Beethoven for an hour or so." In other news, in my travels, I've learned an awful lot about Beethoven. :laugh:

Today is: dance class, brain work (I had the best work session I've had in months Monday. It's amazing what not being in pain will do for your brain.) and then some housecleaning. I got great news yesterday, as a doctor who a friend of mine (with fibro) absolutely loves, who was not accepting new patients, agreed to take me on as a patient. I have to wait until May, but the idea that I will be treated with respect is worth the wait! Also, I am now a complete convert to traditional Chinese medicine. (I confess I was skeptical, yet desperate, when I first went) I discovered in my visit with her Monday (after I got the ultrasound results that essentially said that the blood flow to my head was impeded) that the mysterious Chinese herbal medicines were called "move the blood mansions" and "something about calm the heart for sleeping". My doctor, after listening to my pulses (in a few different points) had determined that my blood wasn't getting around my body, especially not to my head. She did all this by actually touching me, listening to my symptoms, and without a super expensive machine. Amazing. :noway:

In other news, I'm doing pretty good with my food goals. I essentially grabbed a bunch of back issues of Clean Eating magazine, and I'm eating off of their food plan menus (every month they include two week's worth of food and shopping lists). It occurred to me when I was pouting and wishing I could hire a dietitian that this was pretty much the same resource (without individualization). So far, so good.

Jabberjaws, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Good morning,
    V, so glad things are going well for you. :smile:

I have decided I need to do something today. Anything. I haven't been getting anything accomplished. We are being pummeled emotionally right now so I just don't want to do anything. I make myself do things but I hate it while I am doing it. I am going to get past that today.
    I will either clean all day or do some cleaning and do intervals. I will also get school done, and I may go out and look for boots again. I really want some boots. DH is working late tonight so I will decide if I want to go on to church by myself. I should, but I have a hard time wanting to get out in the evenings. I'm a homebody.

Kicking against the goads boogaloo!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Good luck finding boots, MM. If I have to wear dress up shoes, I really like my Justin boots, though I don't wear anything but gorilla shoes unless required. I wear boots instead of heels - even on my own wedding day.

I ended up at a yoga class yesterday. I had some extra time, since I finished the paper :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I just have to fix a few typos and it's done (Charlie hasn't finished going over it). I haven't heard from the teacher to find out if I need to make the video. I asked her if it was too much - 12 page paper (with lots o' pictures) and a 15-20 minute video.

Anyway, today is double yoga. Yeah!

Finished, boogaloo!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I wear boots instead of heels - even on my own wedding day.

Finished, boogaloo!

"I wear boots instead of heels"..yep although in the summer, it's Birkenstocks. I did wear heels on my wedding day, but had an epiphany after I moved to the city...and threw all of my heels (except for one pair, which I couldn't part with). I decided that I need to be able to move. Also, I like my back, knees and ankles.

Good job finishing the paper! woot

MM, I am praying that you will get lifted up soon.:heart:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hey, everybody. Fell off the posting wagon again this week, alas! It is still way too dark in the mornings to get up. I have been going to bed earlier this week, though, after my boss told me I looked like hell on Monday. I'm almost wondering if I'm allergic to something at work (I know, I know, oldest joke in the book) because my eyes keep bothering me - which makes me feel and look more tired. It's funny how accustomed I am to NOT getting eight hours of sleep, though - I keep waking up 2-3 hours before I need to.

Anyway, just saying hi. I should probably drop my gym membership because I haven't been in almost 2 months - but it feels like giving up. I'm worried about my husband not working out either. He said he stopped because he was too stressed about getting home and getting dinner ready, so I've been trying to help out with that... but he's still not going. I guess I shouldn't have got him those video games for Christmas. :wink: I did workout a bit yesterday with the Kinect game (I am getting really out of shape). MM, I should start pushups again. The problem is I don't actually like them :tongue: - I just like improving, and feeling accomplished when I finish them.

Thursday already?!? boogaloo
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    CP, is there any way you could get in some activity on your lunch hour? Although, you sound so overworked, you may not even truly get one. It makes me sad that you're not getting your workouts in (just because I know I turn into a stress beast when I don't have mine...and it sounds like you have plenty of stress to deal with).

My news for the day:

I've once again gotten up early enough to put in my two hours of work before a workout. The goal for the rest of today is Zumba at 10, and to do the housecleaning I was planning on getting to yesterday, but didn't. Yesterday, I used the extra time to buy groceries for the rest of the week. Part of today will have to be a food inventory (when my refrigerator gets too full, I have a tendency to forget what's in there, find it later and throw it away...I'm working on it.)

Slight headache today...I'm convinced that my desk is too high for working (the surface is about an inch too high for my body/chair combination). I ordered a new part for it, so as soon as that comes, I can lower the desk. In the meantime, I have to remember to stretch periodically.

Stretch periodically, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    CP - ditto to what V said.

A few final edits on the paper and I'm done! Also hardly any homework for the week (we are supposed to be ready to teach the seated postures, shouldn't be a problem). My teacher and husband both looked over my paper, and I realized I'm more of a perfectionist than they are. Though the teacher did notice one thing I didn't in one of the photos, but she said it was minor and she wouldn't retake the pictures.

So today - finish edits, clean house, do a little gardening, walk, maybe a bike ride? The high today is supposed to be 66, so I should enjoy the sunshine a bit. Though there's this allergen outside we call "cedar" but is really a type of juniper - anyway, almost everyone becomes allergic to it, so I'll have to see how high it is today, before spending too much time outside.

Outside, boogaloo!
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    CP, maybe it's eye strain that's causing your eyes to hurt? You look at a computer all day right? Steve bought a new laptop over the weekend and used it for about 30 minutes before he said it hurt his eyes. I looked at it and could immediately tell it hurt my eyes (but I'm a sensitive person. :wink: ). He took it back and got a different one with a different screen, but the touchpad doesn't work on the this one. :laugh: He's had a horrible time with a new laptop but it's getting fixed. I don't really like doing push ups either but I did like seeing the difference in my arms and feeling like I was accomplishing something. I have only done them once in the last couple of weeks. I will try again today.
    V, I have to do food inventory in my fridge as well. Usually it's leftovers that don't get eaten. My dad was such a nut about not having leftovers that I guess I am going to the other extreme and forgetting I have them. :ohwell:
    Today did not start off great. Alex was putting the lid on his cup of chocolate milk when it dumped down between the cabinets and the fridge. :grumble: I didn't get mad about that but I got mad when he wouldn't finish stirring the second glass I poured. Now he's not eating breakfast and not talking to me. He always "acts" up on Thursdays. Or maybe I always act up on Thursdays. The point is:Thursdays are not my best days.
    I'm still searching for boots that I want. I'm afraid to order online cause I hate returning things, but it looks like I might be doing that. I'll go out one more time to look today. I have to grocery shop too. It's suppose to be a beautiful day so that cheers me up.
    I have proven to myself that I am an emotional eater (like I needed proof). I don't know how to deal with that. The last few days have been so stressful that I couldn't eat, and when I did eat it was junk. But I am excited that I finally got to order a new grill! I miss eating grilled foods! I have to wait 7-10 days before it gets here, but I'm looking forward to using it!
    Goals: shopping, get Alex and me out of the funk, and try to get a work out in. I'm getting fat and I don't like it.

Ramblings boogaloo!
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    MM,
    I will say that Zappos.com has a fabulous return policy. I order from them all the time (sometimes I even order two sizes and send the one that doesn't fit back) no problems. Easy-peasy.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    I forgot about zappos. I did find some locally today though! I have been to that store three times and I saw these but I was wanting something a little taller (like below the knee) and these are also 1/2 size smaller than I normally wear. Then I realized that I don't need the tall boots because I will be wearing them with pants/jeans, not short skirts. So I tried these just to get an idea of what size I would need to order them in, and they fit! Yay! They have a 2 1/2 inch heel I think (I like heels but not the stiletto type)but they are pretty comfortable, and look classy. Okay, that's my boots story. :laugh:

I worked out and feel better now. I was able to jog a total of eight minutes,and probably could have gone a couple more minutes but I was running (pun intended) out of work out time. I also did push ups, sit ups and some leg raises. :bigsmile: Now I need to get my eating under control and I think I will start slimming up again.

Update boogaloo!
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Just went to make my breakfast, and my fridge (remember the one I filled with healthy foods and pre-made, pre-planned meals and frozen soups?) is dead. And, it's been dead I'm guessing since some time yesterday, as the frozen items have had enough time to completely liquify. So, everything in it (except for maybe some condiments) is toast. Hundreds of dollars worth of food, probably. Gah. I need to catch a household break, seriously. (in good news, maybe I'll get a new fridge that's more energy efficient?) Now I'm wondering if I should ask the landlord to pay for some of the food? Probably not his job, but the fridge we have is about a hundred years old, and I will now have to throw out and replace literally every non-vinegar item in it.

Good news: I just finished my brain work (getting up at 3:30 a.m. for no apparent reason helps). So, I'm looking for something fun to do with the rest of my day, and some sort of healthy eating-out plans. Today is a scheduled rest day, but if it stays dry I'll probably go for a walk.

Bad juju, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Oh No V! That's awful! I'm so sorry. :frown: That truly stinks, especially after you've loaded it up with good foods and prepped meals. I feel bummed for you. I hope you get an awesome new fridge and the rest of your day makes up for your morning. :flowerforyou:
    Mary, were you able to get in a bike ride yesterday? Cedar is bad up here too but I think it's actually worse down there.

We actually had a good day yesterday! First time in....awhile! Hubby is still sick but it seems he has turned a corner. Alex and I actually felt better yesterday too. I got a good work out in, found my boots. And we also got our fingerprints back from the FBI and they passed! The first time! And it only took them a month to process them instead of the 13 weeks it took last time! :happy: So we have a couple more things to do to get all our paper work caught up. We could be in Moscow a month from today. :smile: Not holding my breath of course.
    I am not sure what's going on today. Steve has enough over time to get off at ten this morning but he may try to get over time if there's work to do. So depending on that, I will either get on the TM, go for a walk with Alex outside, or we may all go roller blading. (Well Alex will ride his bike.) I need to get some cleaning done today. I've done the basics for weeks but the house is just kind of nasty. School with Alex. Haven't done much of that this week.

On the upside? boogaloo!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I didn't get the bike ride in yesterday, but not because I was afraid of the outdoors - I was barely out there. Did get many things done though. Charlie has the day off today in celebration of "birthday week". He's coming to my class this morning, then we go to lunch, do some chore in the afternoon, hopefully get a little walk outside in (as it will be very nice outside), go to group practice, go to dinner. That's the plan. Austin is one of the worst cities for allergens - mostly because there is something all year long - November, February and August are usually ok - but January gets most people - if you live here long enough, you become allergic to cedar - there's just so much pollen.

Sorry about your fridge, V. Hopefully a new one will get there soon. I'm sure it will be more energy efficient and have more space.

Birthday week, boogaloo.