Newbie from the UK

Options
Hi everyone...

Im new to the website - have been using it as an app on my phone before discovering the website!!

Im at the heaviest I have ever been (142lbs) which is pretty much over weight for my height (5'3) and want to lose 22lbs to get down to a UK size 8-10 again

Any tips/advise for a new healthy eater?! My downfall is definitely chocolate and fast food (I cant cook!) so any advise is appreciated!

Replies

• lisa_lotte
    Options
    Welcome :-)

I'm heavier than you at 154lb but I used to be A LOT bigger as I have lost 28lb already, and still got a lot more to lose!! I haven't followed any specific diets or fitness dvd's but have basically just been eating healthier and exercising. The biggest tip I can give anyone though is to avoid carbs in the evening, as this made a massive difference for me. Now I normally have something like chicken + veg in the evenings or a salad, where as I would always have carbs before. Was hard at first but once you get used to it it become routine, and helped me lose loadse of weight!! I'm in the UK too by the way :-)

Lisa
  • xxnicxx
    xxnicxx Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi

I like you have been using the application on my phone and have just started using the website today really.

I find that having a stock of weightwatchers (or similar) microwave meals is a good way to avoid fattening fast food. Then if I am too tired to cook, I can easily put one of them in the microwave and I am not tempted to order a pizza!

I also love sweet stuff. My problem is if I have a piece, I think I need to finish the lot. I have been trying to by cereal bars instead, I find it easier to just have one of these! Some of them are really nice too, I recommend the Special K Bliss ones.

I am also from the UK and have a similar goal weight to you! :-)
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi! welcome to MFP - i'm from the UK!!!! It's nice to see fellow brits on here! Can we please be friends so we can have some moral support. I only had a couple of friends on here for a while and it's so much nicer with people to talk to! Good luck with your weight loss journey - you'll all get there in time!
  • xxnicxx
    xxnicxx Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi there, yes the support is needed! How long have you been using MFP for? How are you doing so far? I saw from your profile that you have quite similar circumstances to me :-)
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from the UK too - agree that it's carbs in the evening that hinders your progress. It's a habit I'm still trying to break! :blushing: haven't done it yet...
  • Jennifer2311
    Options
    Hi
    Im also in the UK, Im 5 1 and 140 pounds, Im aiming to lose 20 pounds and would love to fit back into my size 8-10 cropped jeans this summer! Im using Wii fit and a step machine, also sticking to the calorie count each day, Im new to this so not sure if its working yet!
  • kezereth
    Options
    I'm from the Uk too *high five*

Somebody once gave me a little tip. If you have a big bar of chocolate break it up into portions (a few squares etc) and then put it in the freezer. then you can take out one portion as a treat whenever your treat day is and because it's a bit frozen, it tricks your brain into thinking you have had more because it takes you longer to eat.

As for fast food, other than barracading the doors of mcdonalds with it's own bouncer to keep you out, im pretty sure that one just requires will power lol
  • e3slisa
    e3slisa Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to MFP, weight loss is much easier with freinds on this sight, I am originally from the UK but now live in Mallorca, please feel free to add me as a freind and we can support each other on this journey :smile:
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from the UK too :)

If you can't cook, why don't you get a simple cookbook and start teaching yourself? I find Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food a great book to have around for basic everyday foods and it's really easy to make most of the recipes in there. Even if you can just cook pasta and stir fry, you have loads of options with those!

You can download some of the recipes online to give you a taster, or you could try watching cooking shows on TV to get step-by-step help- I think there are even iPhone apps with videos in if you have an iPhone.

You will feel so much better and find it so much easier to control calorie intake once you start preparing your own foods, ready meals have all sorts of preservatives, salt and sweeteners in which are no good at al!