Gym exercises for toning

Simonscat
Simonscat Posts: 249
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I go to the gym 3 times a week.
What can I do there to tone my stomach, arms, legs?!

When I'm there I do 30 mins on the tredmill, running at 5mph for 5 mins then walk for 4mph at an incline of 7%...etc
Bike 20mins
Cross trainer 20mins
Rowing machine 10 mins

Replies

• Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    You need to do some weight training to tone up. Light weights with higher reps work good for toning and wont give yoiu bulky muscle. Good luck.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    The weight room shoudl have ab machines. You can also do sit ups using a balencing ball. for the side of your stomach. lift you back up of teh floor hold a weighted ball and twist it from side to side. But my all tiem favportive all pourpose toning is taking a yoga class. it works everything. Good Luck!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Add some weights to your routine.
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    I go on those weight thingies...
    Uhm you sit on them, and lift bars up?! And you change the weight of them..
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    There should either be lots of individual weight machines that work one muscle group, or their should be a couple big machines that have lots of options for different exercises. If you have th individual machines everything should be very straightforward, they should even have instructions on the machine. If you the other kind of machine, it can be a little tricky if you don't know what you're doing. Your best bet would be to ask a gym employee how to use the machines.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Try doing strength training exercises that use only your body weight. You can do a good twenty minute routine three times a week that works your entire body doing exercises like pushups, dips (reverse pushups), pull ups, squats, lunges (and reverse lunges), squatting calf raises, flutter kicks, leg raises, planks, and side planks. To start out, do two sets of 10 for each exercise you pick to do.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Here's a nice workout for 3x a week that also incorporates cardio.

And all you need is 2 dumbbells.

First off you need to stretch it out good. Then you need to warm up your muscles.. 15 pushups and 15 burpees should get you there.

Take your dumbbells and do the following:
    15 Hip Thrusters (That's where you stand straight up, DBs in hand and have them at shoulder level, squat, and when you stand up press the DBs)

15 Swing Squats Each Arm (Take a DB in one hand, extend your arm in front of you and bring it chest level, squat and bring it down to between your legs, stand up to original position. After 15 Swap hands)

Put both DBs on the floor, and grip them and do 15 push ups.

Still on the floor in a push up position ,spread your legs a bit and pick one hand up with DB in it and bring it to your chest, set it down gently, then do the other. Do this 15 times with each hand.

Stand up, and do 15 curl lunges. Curl with both hands, lunge on one leg 15 times, then swap legs and do it again.

So we understand this is how it goes:

15 Hip Thrusters when done go immediately to
    15 Swing Squats on each arm when done go immediately to
    15 Pushups using DBs when done go immediately to
    15 Floor Rows when done go immediately to
    15 Curl Lunges on each leg.

When done with lunges, take a minute rest.

Then repeat.

First 2 weeks do this 2 rounds. Weeks 3 and 4 do 3 rounds. Weeks 5 and 6 do 4 rounds. Then we'll talk more.
This discussion has been closed.