Heart Rate Monitor Questions

Options
For those of you who use a HRM, do you guys leave it on all day and then record your calorie loss at the end of the day, or do you take it off after your workout? I actually like seeing the calorie number rise as I'm sitting down working! =)

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I just wear mine while I workout. I turn it off as soon as my cool down is over. I have left it on for long periods and it actually was the catalyst of me figuring out that my BMR was set way to low.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i have a watch hrm. and i only use it for workouts to see what ive burned. they typically are designed just for that use. now if you have a bodybugg or something similar that can be worn throughout the day to see a total burn. but they're expensive!
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    Well, I have Polar FT7. It's a strap you where under your bra and it transmits to the watch.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I only use mine when I work out, but one day I would like to get a baseline idea of what I really burn in a typical day.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine for workout, but go ahead and wear it one day just to get that baseline - say on a day without exercise. Don't forget that MFP does take into account the # of calories we burn just by doing nothing into our daily calorie requirements
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I got a body bugg yesterday. Im interested to see tomorrow morning my first 24 hour day and what it said I burned and what I ate.
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use mine for workouts only. I believe that's what they are really meant for.
  • lesleyk26
    lesleyk26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ive just bought a hrm wtch off ebay cant wait for it to come can you wear it all day? lol i aint got a clue but would be interesting to see how much i do burn off as i dont include like walking to shops or cleaning as an exercise which i do everyday but some peeps are different. x
  • michie1979
    michie1979 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could wear it all day to get a baseline, but u couldn't add it to exercise on MFP, as MFP gas already taken off some for day to day calories burned. :)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have worn it it all day one time just to see.... But I only use it for workouts because that is what is actually causing my deficit. not my daily routine.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I used to wear it all day too lol, its cool seeing the changes. I only wear it during my workouts now.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT7 so I could really fine tune my workouts and I aim to burn 1,000 calories per workout. If I found out exactly how much I burned through the day I probably would use that as an excuse not to work out! "Oh, I burned 500 calories just sitting at my desk and walking around the office - I can skip a work out!"

But if it won't hinder your work out efforts, it sure would be interesting to find out!