Timex Ironman HR monitor vs MFP ?????

hollyyoung71
hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok... so when I log that I did 40 minutes on the eliptical on the MFP it tells me that I accumulated about 420 calories.... When I look at the Timex Ironman HR monitor Iwear during my cardio it tells me that I accumulated 621 calories. That is over a 200 calorie difference. Which one is more accurate and I should use?

Thanks... Holly:flowerforyou:

Replies

• newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    I usually go with my HRM, but deduct 10% for marginal error.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Personally I use what my HRM gives me cause it does the calculations based on my age, height, weight, and hr. If you would rather play it safe then go with the lower number. Do you remember what the eliptical said you burned?
  • If you hrm is set up to take personal settings check them.
    If they are correct (weigth age DOB) then use the hrm info.
  • Calculators on equipment are not as accurate as personal monitors because the equipment monitors are based on averages. If I were a 400lb person on a treadmill, I would burn more calories than an 180lb person on the same piece of equipment running at the same pace.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Also take into consideration, your HRM is including your resting metabolic rate and MFP tell you what you have burned on top of your normal activity. So for your 621 calories your HRM said, subtract about 1.3 calories(just a guess at what RMR is, I think in the goals category it tells you)*40 minutes. 621-(1.3*40)=569 Still above MFP, but closer.

I used HRM for a long time to track my calories, then I got a body bugg. My HRM was over estimating my calories burn quite a bit. I was surprised. My HR is pretty high, so it would calc more calories. Just a surprise I found when I switched over.

All else fails, enter the lower number to be concervative.
This discussion has been closed.