Given up Coca Cola... !

Options
I am new to MFP but have to say that so far it is proving to be very useful. I was not aware of the amount of calories I was actually putting in my body so it came as a shock on day one when I entered everything I had eaten and saw what it said!!

The crunch came on 3rd January 2011 when I actually tried some clothes on in the shop which I don't normally do! Needless to say, stood infront in the changing rooms with mirrors on three sides of my body in my underwear and had the shock of my life!! I knew I was getting bigger but OMG I didn't realise I was that big!

The first change I have made is getting this app on my phone and saved on my favourites on the computer! The next thing was I gave up drinking coca cola (one of my favourite things in the whole world!:frown: ).

The next I am working on is increasing the amount of excerise I have been doing - not really a difficult job as I have not been doing any!! So starting today is taking the dog out for a walk every night to start things off slowly with a view to increasing as the weight starts to fall off and I feel better!

I do struggle with my food as I don't eat any fruit or vegetables and don't actually like alot of foods so my diet is very limited and I'm not able to do any of the normal diets / groups people talk about.

Any advice would be appreciated to help a busy working mum of 2 kids (7 & 3yrs old).

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• Robyn1733
    Options
    WTG with the start you have done. I, too, gave up pop in general this year. I am challenging myself to drink more water. I believe with your focus, you will be on your way to a wonderful weight loss.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Gotta eat your fruits and veggies. You have to get them in and what a great way to start your kids on healthier eating habits. I've been learning new ways of cooking and it is absolutely delicious! I had baked fries the other night and they tasted better than fried. I've noticed that I have way more energy since I don't eat those heavy foods anymore. God didn't intend us to eat all the crap we put in our bodies so I'm trying to think about how my ancestors ate and what they had and what they didn't have when thinking about what I'm eating. Good luck Lady!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a coke zero when your having real bad soda cravings.It works for me.
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    congrats! I also have basically given up pop (I'm not a big fan of diet pop either, so it has been a hard conversion). I've now gone just over 2 weeks without a regular Coke/Dr. Pepper, etc. I'm attributing not having those extra calories as part of my weight loss success so far.

good luck!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hiya. good luck and wanted to say you are not alone. i had a similar light bulb moment in a clothes shop last year which disgusted me and so began my long journey to loose weight. ive fallen off the wagon soooo many times but im on a mission this year! so fingers crossed we both get to goal

as for soda, see ive always had diet coke/ pepsi max. never did like full fat coke so cant help :)
  • hayley26d
    hayley26d Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero. 0 calories

Tastes the same as normal coke aswell
  • xenan
    xenan Posts: 4
    Options
    Giving up coke was easier than I thought but I think it had something to do with the fact that my head was in the right place this time! I did suffer with headaches for a couple of days but I was expecting that so it wasn't as bad as I thought.... I gave up smoking 11 years ago now and I did that cold turkey so I knew I could do it when my head was in the game!!

As for the fruit and veg... I have been NOT leading by example with the kids and am pleased to say that they both love fruit and veg and have never questioned why mummy doesn't have any or her plate!!!

I personally can't stand the smell or taste or complexion of them - I even tried Hypnosis which was £500 down the drain!!
  • deandp371
    Options
    i"m finding a good breakfast really helps me. If you can find something you like in the morning with complex carbs: oatmeal, shredded wheat, bran muffins. I'm a big fan of the Kashi Autumn Wheat myself. And doing this seems to help my cholesterol too...
  • TimH1970
    Options
    Having your head in the right place is the big thing especially for me. I have needed to lose 30lbs or more for last 10 years but could not be bothered. Didn't like the thought of exercise and its been difficult to stay motivated. Since joining MFP just over a week ago all that has changed. Great people here to keep you going and to share your success as well as the downs...

Good luck to you, its a great journey to start.
  • xenan
    xenan Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for the support. My hubby is trying to be supportive but he doesn't really understand how I feel and always manages to say the wrong things bless him without realising it!

:smile: