Newbie Runner

Learning2LoveMe
Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am an aspiring runner... I have re-occurring dreams where I run long distances, participate in 5/10K's & marathons. I really want to get into running and I think I might really enjoy it (I do in my dreams thats for sure).

Here's the thing... I'm not a runner..at all. I can't run more than the length of two houses without becoming out of breath or my knees starting to hurt. I never have been a runner, even when I was fit. My fastest mile all throughout school was about 12 minutes, when I was 10 and participating in sports and active a lot. Not too mention I've never been able to run a full mile, I've always had to walk at least some part of it.

I realize that I'm 70 ish lbs overweight and still somewhat out of shape so I'm not going to be able to walk outside and just start running to my hearts content. Is the couch 2 5K program good for people who have never been able to run? Is there any other programs that help people run who never have been able to?

Or if anyone was like me and is now a runner and want to share your story and how you were able to do it, that would be awesome as well. =)

Replies

• Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Yes. I was like you and I'm now training for a 1/2 marathon. I started with a modified C25K progam and pretty much felt like a failure the entire time. After week 2, I was never able to keep up. I decided to just do what could and as long as it was a little bit more than the week before, it was a success. It took me about 12 weeks to run a mile, and nearly 5 months for a 5K. I just kept at it and never quit. When it got hard, I would tell myself that as long as I wasnt moving backwards, it was fast enough and sometimes that was a 14 - 15 minute mile.

If you keep at it, your body will learn how to do it. I promise, it really will.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    You can RUN! In a nut shell I was the same way you are when i started running back in 2007. I was near 200 lbs and couldn't even run a lap around a track. I saw my city's marathon on TV and decided that the next year I was going to be a participant. And so I trained. And it was tough. But in Jan 2008 I FINISHED the Houston Marathon. 26.2 miles in just under 6 hours! I was so proud of myself. Now, I just run half because training fits better into my busy lifestyle. Moral of the story, I wasn't a runner but now I am and so can you. Here's what to do:

1. Get fitted for proper running shoes at a running store.
    2. Sign up for a 5k about 2 months away
    3. Start running (go to runnersworld.com to get a free training plan. Lots of ppl on here use C25K but I've never tried it).
    4. Ask for help/support when you need it.
    5. Have fun! Good luck
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    I did the Couch to 5K program last fall and it worked for me, before that I thought running was a good idea and I would have loved to have done it...but hated running. I got up to running as much as a mile a couple of times and then quit because it was too hard and painful. C25K was great for me, and I still use their week 9 podcast for a lot of my runs.
    Good luck!
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    I'm in the C25K process right now, I recommend it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I'm still about 40-50 lbs overweight, and I'm up to running 4 miles at a time! I encourage you to do the C25K program, which is an introduction to running using intervals (walk a little, run a little, etc.). They make podcasts for ipods/MP3 players and also there are C25K apps for smartphones - both of these allow you to know when to walk/run without always looking at your watch.

I did C25k last summer (it was a challenge to myself because I'd always hated running, but for no good reason). Now I love running! I've done two 5ks, and am signed up for a 7k and a 10k between now and May. I'm hoping to do a half marathon in October.

It's definitely helping me continue to lose weight - running is a great way to burn calories and improve your overall health!

I second the note that you need to get good shoes - they can make ALL the difference, and if you overpronate (your feet/knees turn inwards when you're running) you need to get shoes with extra support or you can injure yourself and cause unnecessary knee/hip pain.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    We have a thread for C25K (or any sort of novice runner) if you're interested. I'm sure there are others on here as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157757-new-couch-to-5k-c25k-thread-anyone-out-there-in-week-1

I'm not a runner at all, but I'm in my second week of C25K and it's a fantastic program. There are podcasts designed for it as well and a lot of nice apps out there to keep you on track.

Feel free to friend me, I'd love to hear about your progress.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    I am currently 60ish pounds overweight and have started using the C25K program and I am currently on W2D1 this evening and I am loving it :heart: You can check out the C25K program at this website http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and I downloaded podcasts from this website http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/ there is also a C25K app that you can download, which works but doesn't have music attached to it. Other advice I would recommend it make sure you have the proper running shoes and a proper athletic bra as well. Other wise good luck and have fun :bigsmile:
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    I was NEVER a runner and used to be a smoker as well! I smoked for over 30 years and finally quit 2 years ago. I started the Couch to 5K plan in Mid December but was doing it on the beach and it was really, really hard. Then a friend who is a runner told me never to do that and get out on the dirt roads around my house. MUCH better. I am now on week 4 of the C25K - today I ran 2 stints that were 5 minutes each and I made it - 16 minutes of running in total! I may have to stick to week 4 more than one week though!

The biggest plus is going to the ITunes store and downloading the C25K podcasts. I then transfer them to my Shuffle and off I go. I prefer the one from NHS choices - a better mix of music. But if you like techno - get the one by Robert Ullery.

I don't care how long it takes me - I will do this. I don't care about speed either - I'm doing this to lose some pounds and improve my cardiovascular health. I am about 20 lbs overweight.

I can only comment on the first 4 weeks of this program but it got me off the couch - I even look forward to it!!!

Good luck to you!
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    You and I are very similar. I have great visions of myself running cross country but...I get winded easy and I cant run...right now.

Someone posted a link on my thread [about this same topic :)] about a modified C25K plan which I think is a GREAT option for people like us...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27

Good luck! Maybe I'll see you hitting the pavement in some future races! :)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    I also recommend the Couch25K program.. I am in week 3 of it now. I also hate running, always have but I want to run a 5K this year so I'm doing it. Some days it is hard, some days it's easier. Just gotta stick with it! Good luck!
  • Like others have said, I was there too. A few years ago I was cheering a friend on for the Chicago marathon. As I watched hundreds of people go by I noticed there were people of all shapes and sizes. It helped break the stereo type I had of what a runner should look like. I've been running off and on ever since 5ks to half marathons.

I always tell people to get a heart rate monitor. It really helps you train at the right pace. I also agree with getting the correct shoe for your running style. You should go to a running store for both of these. (Sporting goods stores will carry "running" shoes but there's more to it that just getting the right size.) They'll also be able to teach you how to use the heart rate monitors they carry.

Best tip for early training. Pick a reasonable distance (2 or 3 miles) and run as far as you can and then walk. If you feel better run again and then walk as needed, but finish the goal. The next time do it again but try to run more and walk less. The heart rate monitor will help you manage your pace and as you build your cardiovascular capacity your pace will increase. Good Luck make those dreams a reality.
  • Hi & all i can say is give it a go.

I was always the one that didnt like PE at school, never done any exercise & was over weight most of my life until about 7 years ago, i always had aspirations to do a marathon. So when i started to lose weight i decided to try running.

I was still over weight & not very fit, i started going out in the dark of night with black jogging bottoms & top, i would start by walking at first,then i would try running, at first if a car came along I would stop. I started running about 50yards to begin then walk. This carried on for the first few times of going out, then as time went on i was finding i was running further with less walk breaks.

After not to long i was running about 1 mile with no breaks, slowly i was getting to run further & further until i could run several miles without breaks, not at a lightening pace, but constant running, so after attempting to enter the London Marathon in 2005 with which i was rejected i then got entry the following year, i completed the marathon in the time i had had set myself.

This is still one of my greatest achievments & still feel proud to now that i achieved what i had set out to do.

Sadly after the marathon things changed & since then i have been putting on the weight.

So now im back into getting healthy & looking to run again.

So to sum it all up, if you can put one foot in front of the other, you can become a runner, im sure after a few trys you will feel better for it.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member

So to sum it all up, if you can put one foot in front of the other, you can become a runner

This is true, and a really great way of putting it.
This discussion has been closed.