TMI For Some - Getting Regular

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Well, being 'regular' is an important part of digestive health and losing weight.
Well, since I've been walking/hiking almost daily, and doing kalisthenics on other days, I have been a little less than regular. Like, once a day to every other day - a bit off from the healthy 2 times a day.

This is with taking fiber supplements every day (about 30+g of fiber per day). I've also been eating a lot of figs because they're fairly cheap, taste good, and I have a ton.

Any other ways you guys know of to speed your digestive tract up? I don't want to take any meds, though I've considered an herbal cleanser.

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Well, being 'regular' is an important part of digestive health and losing weight.
    Well, since I've been walking/hiking almost daily, and doing kalisthenics on other days, I have been a little less than regular. Like, once a day to every other day - a bit off from the healthy 2 times a day.

This is with taking fiber supplements every day (about 30+g of fiber per day). I've also been eating a lot of figs because they're fairly cheap, taste good, and I have a ton.

Any other ways you guys know of to speed your digestive tract up? I don't want to take any meds, though I've considered an herbal cleanser.
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I love the Fiber One bars and they have helped me.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    All the Fiber One line...Cereal, Fiber One Bars, the yogurt they have, it seems to work.

Also, are you drinking your water? That could be the prob if not
  • msarro
    Options
    I have 2 boxes of them, along with kellogg protein/fiber water, and kashi golean fiber/protein bars. Just doesn't seem like they've 'greased up the works' any.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies as well, including leafy greens (usually lettuce or bok choy). I tend to drink 1/2 to 1 gallon of water a day :(
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem except regardless of how much fiber,water, or exercise I get nothing happens except an expanding belly (it is such a pain) but after seeing the doctor and him telling me that I need a laxative asap in which I did I knew I needed to do something and plus I have been reading that people hold 8-20+ lbs in their bowels I decided to do a colon cleanse :sick: So I went to GNC and bought these colon pills for like 11.00 you take 12 a day (yeah its a alot but it sure gets you moving and its not like a laxative) cleansing your colon gets the gunk that packs on weight- I plan on getting another one maybe one more expensive who knows..
  • huskergal15
    huskergal15 Posts: 102
    Options
    Beans! Black beans, red beans, white beans... you can find recipes for them all over the place. and they are oh so yummy. =)
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    when all else fails.....drink coffee:laugh:

Sounds crazy but as long as we're sharing, it's been used for a long time in my family for such reasons!!
  • turkeybird
    Options
    My nutritionist has told me to use ground flax seed in every way possible. It's full of fiber which also helps you feel full.
  • tech_sarah
    tech_sarah Posts: 91
    Options
    Just take Flaxseed Oil pills... I've recommended them to many co-workers. You can take up to three tablets a day, but you should only need one. Good luck!
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    my mom's a dietition and she always told me when all else fails, warm beverages with caffeine will do the trick. Two cups of coffee for me gets things moving smoothly.
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    I know what you mean, I am in the same boat. It's very frustrating too, because like you, I was VERY regular. Now I am miserable. It's a wonder how I am still losing the weight!!! :blushing: