Anybody out there have Insulin Resistance Syndrome??

Options
I was diagnosed with this last year and this is the first time that I've actually tried to start losing weight. It's tough because I have a hard time taking the meds (hard to swallow) so I don't have the full amount (2000 mg/day) Any ideas or suggestions that you guys have to help me jump start my weight loss? I had my second weigh in on Saturday and I lost nothing. I weighed again this morning and I gained 2 lbs. =(

Replies

• melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Are you following a low sugar or lower carb diet? That might help a great deal.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself like you are diabetic. IR is also known as pre-diabetes. If you stick to the diabetic diet, you'll delay (for many many years) the onset of Type II. I'm IR as well, being PCOS diagnosed and know the struggles. I found that on 1500mg of Metformin daily, my weight really left quickly.

Good luck!
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    Well, that's the thing. My doctor never put me on any kind of diet. She just gave me the meds and basically said good luck.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy, it's essentially insulin resistance caused by a hormone produced by the placenta. The thing that helped me control my blood sugar was not snacking. This gave my body the chance to process and digest my food before I threw more at it and continued to raise my blood sugar. I also avoided all refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Those both caused major spikes in my blood sugar. I also had to avoid refined ("white") carbs. No white bread, white rice or pasta, only whole wheat, whole grain versions of those.

If you can, get a glucose meter so that you can check your blood sugar 1 hour after each meal. Also check it in the morning before you eat. This will let you see how foods affect your blood sugar and will help you figure out how to eat and control your sugar levels.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Diabetic diets should be ~50% carb, 20% fat, 30% protein. Carbs should be whole grain, non refined. Fats should primarily come from nuts, lean meats and fruits/vegetables. Go on a sugar detox - remove all white flour, sugar and processed foods from your diet - as best you can. Try and stay away from sweeteners - studies are proving that they make you feel hungry and crave sugar. Try and have protein with every meal and try and eat every 3 hours. You'll keep your blood sugar stable.

Make sure to take your meds after food or they'll upset your stomach.
  • catsnow
    catsnow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes - I was diagnosed beginning of last year and I am also on meds. I lost my first 27lbs just by elimanating sugar and following the myfitnesspal guidelines (no exercise). Once I was comfortable with the change in diet, I added exercise. It was a very slow process and I found that planning ahead for meals was key. I'm down about 35lbs now (it's been about 11months) and I hit a weight loss plateau - so, I took a 3 week break from diet and exercise - I start back up today (hope this works). The trick for me was to set an alarm clock for every 3 hours and eat small healthy meals. My goal is to lose the weight and be completely medicine free. - I hope this helps and keep it up!
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    Thanks for the bump! The thing is that my blood sugars are perfect! It's my insulin levels are high. She basically told me to exercise, which I'm doing, eat better, which I'm doing, and take my meds, which I'm not, lol. I hate them!!! I gag on them every single time. I was taking the Byetta and I lost about 40 lbs with that, but it's too damn expensive (about $360/month). =(
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Do some more research Hun. Most doctors are not very well educated on the nutritional needs of the body. They are willing to tell you to lose weight and exercise, but not how to do it in a healthy manner. You could always ask to see an independant dietician or nutritionist. If your doctor has been out of med school for a while (more than 5 years) they are probably not up to date on the current scientific studies and some of the newer treatments available (unless they got it from a drug rep that visited their office). I looked at the "information packet" that was sent to my boyfriend by his doctor on how to lower his triglycerides. It was published in 1991, and was all about removing ALL fats from his diet. Uhhh... that was 20 years ago. What about all the new research and stuff? Not a mention was made of his high sugar consumption (uber sweet tea) or his carb intake. Along with the "info packet" was a prescription for a med to lower his triglycerides......one that he has already been taking for 6 months. I think he needs a new doctor, but he likes where her office is, and doesn't want to drive further than he has to....

Google is your friend!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the bump! The thing is that my blood sugars are perfect! It's my insulin levels are high. She basically told me to exercise, which I'm doing, eat better, which I'm doing, and take my meds, which I'm not, lol. I hate them!!! I gag on them every single time. I was taking the Byetta and I lost about 40 lbs with that, but it's too damn expensive (about $360/month). =(

If your insulin levels are high you need to make sure you're avoiding all artificial sweeteners. They are interpreted by the brain to be the same as natural sugar, so insulin gets released when it doesn't need to.

Also, take your meds! Cut the pills in half if you have to (if they're pills and not gel caps or something).
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS/IR and my doctor didn't put me on any meds at all, saying instead that she prefers patients to work with diet and exercise to bring the symptoms down and stabilize insulin spikes. I did start taking an acai supplement (told it would curb my appetite). It does, but only because it makes me terribly nauseous. As long as I eat breakfast BEFORE taking the acai, it is far more tolerable.

I watch my carb and sugar intake and make sure to link everything I eat with a protein (protein equaling half of the carbs I eat ex: 14 carbs, 7 protein) and that seems to be doing something because I feel a lot less sluggish when I pay attention and do this properly. Now I am adding in exercise and counting calories to be sure that things continue to go well.