Working on Organic and Sustainable winter foods

Options
I am working on adding more organically and locally grown foods to my diet but I live in Maine and right now their is no season for fruits and veggies till spring. Can anyone help me figure out what should be the next best thing to add to my grocery list besides canned and bagged organic/natural.

Replies

• RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I prefer frozen veggies and fruits because if you steam them they still taste pretty good and they usually have no additives and salt.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Go to eatmainefoods.org. They have a map that shows all the farms where you can get locally grown foods. Find ones in your area and see what they have available.
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    This is not a quick fix, but here goes. I live in Oklahoma, which we obviously have milder winters than you do, but, I built a small cold box (it's a box made from field stone and covered with a wood and plastic hinged lid that you line with manure for heat and fertilized and of course dirt) I started this to grow more herbs over the winter as we don't have much selection where I live. I have started growing mesculin and other green varieties this winter. I'm not sure how sustainable that is for Maine, but last winter we had 18" of snow and 0 degree weather several weeks at a time and I had fresh herbs and lettuce all winter long. It does not take much to build one, so you might check into that. You are limited by size as to what you can grow, but I'm wanting to try some cold weather produce like maybe cabbage just to see if I can get it to grow. Good luck!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I buy in bulk at summer's end from my organic farmer. I put away potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, onions & carrots to last the winter. They are staples here. I do buy a lot of pineapple in the winter. Oh and bananas too. Any other berries I buy are organic from Costco. I just try to limit it to those things during the winter months. I get organic greens from Costco too! I do some preserving/freezing over the summer though, so I do have frozen peas, green beans, berries, etc... on hand and in the freezer. Oh, and whole tomatoes freeze great too!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Collard greens and Kale.

Collard greens can be sauteed, grilled, steamed or boiled...............

Kale - can be done the same way or make kale chips!!

YUMMO