I AM STARVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Okay, so I've already posted a message about looking for ways to not be so starving all day, but I don't know what to do!! With the last message I posted, I got a lot of responses that were great about spreading out meals and eating a lot of small ones through the day. Which I'm trying. But I'm still starving. Not only that, but if I keep eating small snacks and meals, I'll use up all my calories before I even get to dinner!

I recently decreased the weight per week I want to lose to 1/2 lb a week, just to gain some more calories each day....and it's STILL not enough. AGGHHHHHHH! I'd love some input!

:) Lisa

Replies

• jenhudgins
    Options
    Chew lots of gum and drink some green tea. Its an appetite suppressant. Especially if the tea is hot, it makes you feel "fuller"
  • crissgr
    crissgr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water throughout the day. I usually drink 10 cups a day. Also, I keep myself occupied by chewing gum but I know this doesn't work for some people. Give it a try.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ME TOOOOOOOOOOO!! The first 2 weeks were great..I was doing good not hungary..but this weekend and today I am starving...my stomach is growling and I ate! so I dont know what to do either...would love some input as well
  • Titus220
    Options
    Drink a lot of water!!! I set my watch it beep every hour to remind me to drink water...Once it goes off I try to drink a glass of water!
  • lobaca
    lobaca Posts: 2
    Options
    eat lots of veggies! they will fill you up because they are full of fiber and they are low cal! (+ like others said drink green tea/water)
  • rlaskey
    Options
    water water water!!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Do you have time to exercise? i find without exercise, i don't have enough calories and sometiems I am hungry..

Other than that, try eating oatmeal for breakfast it keeps me full until lunch. Tea throughout the day also helps. Keep yourself busy and you won't think about it as much.

Also eat meals thata re filling but low in calories, big salads, or lots of lettuce in your sandwich, vegetable. You can have snacks of broccoli, celery..etc and won't use many calories
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Try having some protien in every meal/snack (and water, lots of water).
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Baby Carrots. Only 35 caloeries for a cup. And there are only so many carrots you can eat at once. :sick: :laugh:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I cant see your diary, so I'll just ask. What kinds of foods are you eating? Are you eating healthy? or are you eating processed, pre-cooked foods? Are you filling up on protein, fruits, veggies? or are you eating a lot of carbs?
  • davidmsheppard
    Options
    Look at your carbohydrate types. You are looking for slow releasing carbohydrates, and protein. Avoid processed food and sugar/glucose. Believe it or not fresh fruit can be quite high in sugar. This messes up your blood sugar levels and makes you feel hungry. Keep at it.
  • davidmsheppard
    Options
    Look at your carbohydrate types. You are looking for slow releasing carbohydrates, and protein. Avoid processed food and sugar/glucose. Believe it or not fresh fruit can be quite high in sugar. This messes up your blood sugar levels and makes you feel hungry. Keep at it.
  • iverayna
    iverayna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and foods that sit heavy for a bit like Oatmeal, Bran muffin, Fiber one bars are FANTASTIC.. Its what works for me..
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    Water and more of it.

If you are a snacker like I am, keep grapes or other fruits low in calories and sugar (if thats possible) on hand.
    Chew low calorie sugar free gum and candies like mints. Granted they may not taste the best but it will keep your mind off of wanting to eat something.
    Even while doing this keep up your water intake.

I take grapes with me to work and drink tons of water. I chew Extra Dessert Delights in the Mint Chocolate Chip flavor (tastes just like the real thing and lasts). The whole pack has 75 calories-not saying you should chew the whole pack in a day lol. No fat, sugar and 30 total grams of carbs (for the whole pack-2g per stick).

Good luck!
  • jaymeec75
    Options
    Chew lots of gum and drink some green tea. Its an appetite suppressant. Especially if the tea is hot, it makes you feel "fuller"

I'm chewing gum right now because I'm so hungry today. I also LOVE green tea when I'm hungry and its not time to eat yet. Great advice!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I found, surprisingly, that the more I exercised, the less I wanted to eat. I think a lot of my "hunger" was actually boredom, so filling up that time with going to the gym or doing an exercise-type video game or walking the dog was a win-win situation. I burned calories AND didn't consume calories. :smile:
  • mmargraf
    Options
    You did not gain your weight by eating raw veggies. Snack on them through out the day if you are hungry. Drink water and don't skip your protein. Your body will get used to the amount of food you are taking in. Make sure you are eating something every 3-4 hours. Save your fruit for snacks. Make a cabbage/veggie soup and keep on hand to eat before or after a meal.
  • trishthedish13
    Options
    Are you eating filling foods? Try to choose foods that have more nutritious value rather than less calories. Lots of veggies and higher volume foods (they make you feel more satisfied) .... and like the others posted, lots of water! When you are starving, be sure that the first thing you do is drink something - then wait and see if you are still feeling so hungry.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Drink water!!!! :smile:

And also, make sure you're eating the right kinds of calories. The fullness you get from fat and protein will stay with you longer than if you ate empty carbs. Of course of these need to be eaten in moderation. Good luck!

:flowerforyou:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Your body also needs time to adjust to the change. Before MFP I'd eat lunch (usually, sometimes skipped) and dinner (always huge, typically more than my daily 1200 cal I started on MFP with) and then would nosh on stuff if it was available around the office (usually pastries) and then have some sort of dessert (anything from a skinny cow bar to one of those 4x4 squares of cake).

When I started MFP my daily schedule was 1200 calories that I divided between breakfast at 9am, lunch at noon, snack at 3pm, dinner around 6:30pm and dessert at 9pm. I felt like I was starving for the first week or so, despite having my calories spread out all day. Then it moved into just sorta feeling hungry or anticipating the next time I ate. And then eventually I got used to the schedule and calories and I didn't feel hungry anymore.

It takes at least 21 days for your body to form a new habit, and that includes a dietary change. But stick with it, drink lots of water, chew peppermint gum and it will get better. :)