Sore calf!

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have an achy calf. I can trace it back to when it started, right when I picked up running for the first time in awhile. This was about a week ago, and I just ignored it and kept running/working out.

I'm wondering if I pulled something.

It's okay as long as I'm moving, but when I'm sitting still it aches the most!

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Have you tried massaging and stretching? I know my calves are really tight and sometimes after running they're sore, but I usually massage it out, and stretch like the ****ens.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    This was me last week...then it was on the verge of spasm (according to my massage therapist)...stretching helps...toes on a stair and gently go up and back so your heels are below the stair, as it gets better you'll be able to stretch further....you can do something similar on the floor, go up and down on your tiptoes (sp? lol). And massaging it with baby oil helps too!
    Hope you feel better soon! :bigsmile:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    My calves have been on the achy side for more than a week now! I did a kick-butt workout LAST Saturday and am still feeling it (though, it's not that bad anymore).

I've been doing a lot of stretching- and have had two more workouts since then, sore calves and all. Even though I worked out for an hour and a half on Saturday, I don't feel NEARLY as sore as I did from the prior weekend's major workout.

I guess it would depend on the type of 'sore' you're feeling. If it's a sprain or a pulled muscle, you'll know it. Massage, stretching and heat will help. In my case, my calves were just achy from exercise- and MORE exercise helped quite a bit. As I get stronger, my muscles (in general) don't hurt as much. I just push through the pain. ;)

The tricky part, I think, is learning when to push through the pain- and when to ease up.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Thanks so much! I put some A535 rub on it (or whatever it's called) and it feels amazing!

I think it was a matter of too much too soon, but I'm going to keep at it.
  • I was told today to not stretch too much before jumping on the treadmill, but to make sure I stretch everything out afterwards so nothing cramps up. Don't know if this advice helps (or is 100% true), but thought I'd share!
This discussion has been closed.