p90x substitutions

cd_kc
cd_kc Posts: 21
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I managed to do p90x for about 6 weeks before getting derailed last fall. I am ready to start back up, but wondering about some modifcations I had considered. I do the "lean" version and I don't like the "cardio" portion as I find it boring, repetitious of exercises used in the other sessions and I don't feel as much cardio as, for example, in Kenpo. I thought to replace it with either another round of Kenpo or another cardio routine such as Biggest Loser Cardio Max and/or running. I now will have a heart rate monitor, once I get the battery replaced, so that will let me know more about my actual cardio expenditures. Others thoughts? I'm also not big on the Yoga as it is long and repetitious, but I figure I should probably keep that.

Replies

• trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Definitely keep Yoga, it is extremely beneficial and the Yoga X is a fantastic, thorough yoga workout. I think I work harder on that than any of the others.

For cardio days, any cardio that burns about 400-500 calories and works the whole body is equal the P90X cardio, so if you want to sub those workouts I'd say go for it.
  • slw9146
    slw9146 Posts: 1 Member
    I agree with kempo not having much of a "cardio" aspect to it in P90X. I really like the plyometrics-I burn the most calories with that workout. The cardio X workout video has quite a bit of yoga stuff in it at the beginning-I'm not real big on that either. I think the Biggest Loser Cardio Max would sound like a good one to do if you're looking for a good cardio workout.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    I'd seriously consider doing the classic version as that is really how the program was designed. The "Lean" program was a complete last minute after thought. Women shouldn't fear lifting weights and heavy weights at that.

As for Cardio, P90X+ has some two good cardio routines. Both ar 40 minutes. Interval X is interval training and gets your heart rate up. Kenpo Cardoi takes Kenpo up a notch and byong just standin trhowing blocks and kicks. As for Kenpo, trying going faster than the dvd. Don't wait for Tony to tell you to start or add weighted gloves, that will really make you sweat.

Good luck and Bring It!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I think you should try P90X Classic. Also, you can create your own hybrid for the cardio portions that you want to take out. Yes, try subbing in Cardio Max and running on the cardio days. Challenge yourself with double workouts. You can also create a calendar with windows calendar maker in order to keep yourself accountable for each days upcoming workout.
  • cd_kc
    cd_kc Posts: 21
    Thanks for all the helpful tips. I will re-look at the classic. My biggest challenge is time as I work full-time and am mother to 3 boys 7 and under (yes they can give me a workout too that makes me feel insane at times). I am trying to get up at 5 am so I have time to wake up and enjoy a few moments of quiet, get the workouts in, and then get me and my boys ready. My husband helps, but he also does his workouts in the morning. Any tips on finding time?

I did not keep to any diet plan the last time I did the p90X and regretted it as I felt better, but not much weight loss. Again, time is my enemy as I am often running from place to place and grab things as I'm either on the move or too starved to cook.

I am trying to have lots of yogurt, fruits/veg on hand as well as a supply of frozen meals and soups - I know fresh is best, but it's easier to track and grab. I love to cook but am a throw it together cook, which doesn't match up well with having to track everything. Thanks for all the inspiration. I am really ready to shed 15-20 pounds and see what lies underneath.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    I'd seriously consider doing the classic version as that is really how the program was designed. The "Lean" program was a complete last minute after thought. Women shouldn't fear lifting weights and heavy weights at that.

As for Cardio, P90X+ has some two good cardio routines. Both ar 40 minutes. Interval X is interval training and gets your heart rate up. Kenpo Cardoi takes Kenpo up a notch and byong just standin trhowing blocks and kicks. As for Kenpo, trying going faster than the dvd. Don't wait for Tony to tell you to start or add weighted gloves, that will really make you sweat.

Good luck and Bring It!

Agreed.

At some point, you will likely outgrow some of the original P90X dvd's. The Cardio X & Kenpo dvd's became too easy so I upgraded to P90X+. Interval X+ is much more uptempo than Cardio X and Kenpo/Cardio X+ is a better calorie burner than the original.
This discussion has been closed.