Exercise w/ broken foot

Options
Okay friends I could use some help. I recently broke a bone in my foot which makes exercise painful. I have tried the bike at the gym but pay for it later. I have a walking cast so I can walk but not for very long. Any suggestions on how to get some exercise time in without being on my feet? Thanks!

Replies

• jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of pilates and yoga moves that you can do on a mat on the ground! Youtube has a lot of good yoga and pilates videos. You might have to get creative with your searches but I think you should be able to find something. Good luck and sorry to hear about your foot!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    You should ask your doctor for some ideas and run everything by him/her! but off the cuff, arm circles! seated weights (arms only) ! seated punches (like kick boxing but seated and without kicks).
  • nilisabel
    Options
    you should google what happens if you rebreak your foot and the bone doesn't knit. i'd be scared and not put weight on it without doctor's order and run exercise ideas by him.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    use some of the weight machines that work your upper body. Don't worry about how much weight (or not) you add. I'm a weakling and do the low weight options on the machines.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    water-based stuff might be good too as it will lower the pressure on the foot. Aqua-aerobics or something of this sort. Although, you may be a lot younger than the rest of the class.
  • nilisabel
    Options
    ask your doctor about nutrition for while you're healing also.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    Look for "Strong Women" classes in your area. They are geared towards middle age to older women but I am sure they will accept anyone. Ours in Alaska is $36 for 12 classes. The University of Alaska-Anchorage Cooperative Extension is offering them here.
  • Redbella
    Redbella Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    2 yrs ago I was in a tornado (literally) and it broke my back. At first I was paralyzed from the waist down but now I can move my legs but my back and legs are still not strong enough for me to walk. The exercises I have done to get to where I am now is leg lifts in the chair, yoga in the chair, lifting weights, lifting my weight with my arms, floor exercises (situps, pushups, leg lifts, etc) and if you can get in the water. It will put no pressure on your foot and swimming is great exercise!!!
  • PRCatie
    PRCatie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the speedy responses. I wish I did not have a meeting tonight - I am anxious to try these. Tired of sitting!