Drinking up all of my calories :-(

Options
So I was in the ER last night because I had flu like symptoms, a temp of 102.7 & my asthma was out of control. I was pretty dehydrated so when I went to the pharmacy, I picked up some gatorade since that's what I was advised to drink. I can't even tell you how thirsty I am. I already drank one & a half of the big bottles of gatorade (which are 4 serving each). I'm kinda of mad because I feel like I'm wasting my calories. I know I need the fluids & electrolytes. Ugh!

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Drink G2, only 60 calories :smile:
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Health comes first! Extreme calorie limitation while you're sick will only work against you! Drink the Gatorade, don't worry about the calories until you're better, then get back on the wagon. Plus, you probably don't feel like ingesting much else, anyway, right?

Good luck and get better!
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known that when I was at the pharmacy! I was in a daze, I just grabbed whatever. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks :-)
  • Katymom22
    Katymom22 Posts: 121
    Options
    zero calorie life water also has electrolytes and 0 CALORIES!!! i like the strawberry kiwi lemonade and drink them all day!!
  • lesliefm
    lesliefm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you have flu like symptoms you should really drink Pedialyte instead. It has a lot lower of calories anyway.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was sick all last week. G2 is great - about 1/4 of teh calories. Other than that, don't worry about it! Just get well and get back on the wagon when you're feeling better.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Your body is working hard to repair itself. You are dehydrated and will probably show a loss but be prepared for the gain next week. Have you been eating? you probably have calories to spare anyways.

Get well soon
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    when youre sick, your metabolism is actually higher because your body is trying to "waste out" all that bad stuff....either way- your body uses more calories when youre sick. especially when you have a fever.