Gain weight during menstruation?

Options
I was a bit disappointed when I stepped on the scale this morning and noticed I gained 2 lbs (I exercise regularly and eat healthy 90% of the time). I did have a cheat day yesterday but I did not over indulge in anything bad (def wasn't enough to add 2 lbs to my body!) I did start my menstral cycle yesterday, and I feel somewhat bloated today....but I'm unsure if the weight gain is due to my menstral cycle or b/c of my 1 cheat day :( Regardless, Im getting ready to hit the gym for an hour to get a GOOD workout in... Im paranoid that I'll just keep gaining... HELP!
:frown:

Replies

• CiCiSlim
    Options
    I tend to have 4 extra pounds during the week of mine. Try not to worry too much about what the scale says and focus more on how you feel. Keep making healthy choices and working out and you'll be fine! :-)
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yeeeeeeppp, expect to gain between 1-3 pounds or so, I do, and realize it's due to my period.. afterward I usually drop 1-3 of it, could be partially the period cycle ending, or the paranoia of weight gain and just working out like insane.. LOL.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    For sure keep making great choices and doing what you've been doing. I gained less than a pound for mine, but lost 3.2 lbs the next week.

Keep being awesome :)
  • CamilleMiracle
    Options
    Usually when i start my monthly i gain a little weight. It is nothing to worry about. You should be fine:).
  • AlishaA
    Options
    I didnt gain weight but I didnt lose any either and I had been working on this for the week. I wanted to eat a lot more too. I looked it up on internet and it said you will get hungrier for 2 days prior and the first two days of. Prob retaining fluids, drink more water and best news of all your metabolism is actually higher during this time!
  • butterflyx3
    Options
    I gain too.. no biggie! Youll go back to nromal soon.
  • BrownSquare
    Options
    YES! I gain at least 3+ pounds! (Or more!) It comes off don't worry it's natural during your cycle. :smile:
  • jodimyfitnesspal
    Options
    It happened to me recently too... made me feel pretty discouraged as I had been eating well.

I heard it is due to water retention that occurs over that time. You often put on weight and bloat. But then after a week I weighed myself again and I had lost the extra few pounds.

Hold it out and you should find it drops right back down... 1 or 2 pounds is normal, and your weight can very easily vary up or down even during the day by a small amount.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    Yup. I was so sad when my jeans finally got baggy and then I couldn't squeeze into them on Saturday....I got the bloat. :explode:
    A few more days and they will be baggy again.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yup! Happens to all of us. :)
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    yeah i learned this month NOT to weigh myself around that time of the month. it had said that i had gained 3lbs, but that went away and took some friends with it when i was done. typical weight gain is anywhere between 1-4lbs. don't sweat it!
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    Oddly, I lost 2 pounds instead of my 1.... I'm up to almost 4 pounds lost... But don't worry about it. :)
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I never weigh during my period.I usually gain 5 to 7 lbs during it,but its gone the 2nd day after.ugggg
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I hate being a girl sometimes :grumble:
  • lgeren
    lgeren Posts: 45
    Options
    Ahh that's why my scale was up this morning!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had the same realization this morning! I couldn't figure out why I felt so bloated the last few days, and lo-and-behold, I had my answer this morning.

Think of it this way - after you're done, imagine how much the scale will drop. Instant weight loss!
  • dhogemann
    Options
    I always put on a pound or two right before and it stays on for about 5 - 6 days and then one morning I'll wake up and weigh myself and everything will be back to normal. The week after I usually experience my biggest weight loss for the month.:smile:
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the gain from mine this week as well. It is very discouraging, but I am hoping for a nice loss next week
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yep before MFP I gained 10+ pounds...now because I track what I eat, my salt intake and make sure I drink plenty of water I tend to gain between 3-5pounds.....still a gain though but not as bad.....but the next week is usually my biggest lost for the month :love:
  • toradoshi21
    toradoshi21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. I've gained a couple lbs this week due to mine. Just do what others have suggested, keep drinking plenty of water and making healthy food choices. It'll come off, don;t sweat it.:)