HRM for big wrists?

ShunkyDave
ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I know this sounds trite, but I have big bones. :)

I cannot wear watches that cost lest than a couple grand because ALL commercial wristbands break after a month of trying to stretch around my arm. I wish I could. My underwear drawer has five watches with broken wristbands.

I'm thinking of getting an HRM, but don't want to spend $50-$100 and find that I can't wear the thing.

Any recommendations? Anyone else out there with 8-9" wrists? What do you use?

Replies

• mattle
    mattle Posts: 14
    While this might not be ideal, have you thought of perhaps getting a HRM that doesn't require it be on your wrist? My HRM uses a chest strap to measure heart rate, but the watch itself can be on a string around your neck, or in a pocket or on a belt (whatever works for your particular workout). Just an idea :)
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Yup, that's what I was gonna say. The watch doesn't have to be worn, just be near you so the transmitter on the chest strap can send the signal to the watch.
  • Lukeaj
    Lukeaj Posts: 1
    Most heart rate monitors have a chest strap that sends the signal. Just get a third party cloth wrist strap to throw the watch on.

As a matter of fact, on cold/wet days I work out on a treadmill. I do not even use the watch portion as most treadmills in gyms now pickup the polar HRM signal. It's great because I can do some great metabolic heart rate training without having to listen for alarm beeps from the watch.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Ok, then perhaps I misunderstood.

The watch isn't tracking your heart rate, it's the chest strap? Do you wear this strap all the time, or just when working out? I'm also looking at a fitbit for me and my wife, but that doesn't track heart rate, so it's not as accurate for calorie burn. My idea was the fitbit for 24 hour wearing, and a watch for 24 hour wearing. But from what I'm reading...perhaps I'm wrong, would have the fitbit for 24 hour, and a chest strap for working out.

Yes?
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    I'm not sure what a fitbit is but I only wear the HRM during working out. Sorry I can't help more than that:)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I know tht polar hrm watches can be like 40 ft away from the chest strap and still catch the readings on the hrm. You only wear polar type hems during exercise. The bodybugg and the....other one you see on ads on MFP you wear all day long.
This discussion has been closed.