Im new to MFP... I need some advice on Vegetarian Meals

Options
Hello,

My name is Mariel and I recently went veg in April of 2010, I really love how I feel but kind of got into a rut of eating cheese.... not that there is anything wrong with it!!!! I LOVE CHEESE and anything that has cheese.

I am looking for new vegetarian recipes that are kid friendly for a picky kid, also feel free to add me as I will need lots of encouragement to help me loose the 35lbs ahead of me!!!!!

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Awesome, vegetarian is the way to go! I still eat fish, so technically I am a pescetarian, but most of my meals leave out fish ingredients.

I am big on beans and lentils. Usually I have a salad for lunch with one of these as my main ingredient.My favourite tool when I look for new vegetarian ideas is this website: http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx You input the ingretient (or ingredients) that you want, and under the "ingredients I don't want" I usually add in the meat items that match up with the ingredient I want to actually use (such as "chicken", "beef", "pork"). It works like a charm! Also, I do use recipes that include meat, but I usually substitute chicken stock for veggie stock, and add a different protein in place of the meat, or I leave it out altogether!

I agree with you on the cheese, it's SO hard not to eat it all the time. It's especially hard when eating out to not be "forced" into getting the cheese-heavy dishes all the time (this was a BIG problem for me when living in Europe).

Anyways, good luck and happy veggy-ing! You made the best decision for your body and the world!
  • pannet
    pannet Posts: 27
    Options
    Mariel - what do you like to eat that is not flesh to get your protein? I was a vegetarian for 20+ yrs (in my 20's, 30's & early 40's) and used every variety of bean for protein along with eating tofu in any number of ways using vegetables and/or fruits with them. The number of recipes are infinite!!!! If you live near a health food restaurant or store (like a whole foods, fresh fields, trader joe's, etc.) go inside and look at the variety of dishes they have and pick up the recipe cards (usually free!). Hope this helps!
    (I didn't stop being a vegetarian - I married a carnivore and began eating fish & fowl again! Now I'm headed back towards vegetables and fruits again/no longer with the meat eater.)
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I don't eat a totally vegetarian diet, but probably could very easily if it weren't for my meat loving fiance!! ;-) Anyway, I do sneak in some meals without meat a couple of times a week. Here is one that I just made and it rocked my world. SO YUMMY!! I'm going to just copy the web address or whatever you call it........

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-and-Corn-Quesadillas/Detail.aspx
    (this has 1 tbsp of brown sugar - sounds weird but add it if you make these because it's really good)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wisconsin-Cheese-Soup-II/Detail.aspx
    (I make this ALL the time - it's super yummy - not very low fat!)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Chili/Detail.aspx
    (haven't made this - but it sounds good!)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Lasagna-II/Detail.aspx#
    (haven't made this either but I'm gonna!)

Okay, well I better stop or I'll get carried away. Good luck with your journey and weight loss and new lifestyle! :-)
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, but not vegan. Tonight I made beefless beef stew. I learned that bouillion cubes are actually made of soy instead of beef, so you just boil 1/2 cup of water with 1 beef bouillion cube. When that dissolves add mixture of another 1/2 cup of water with 2-3 tbsp of flour mixed together so there are no chunks of flour and add to the bouillion cube/water mix. Then add boiled potatoes and carrots (and you can add veggie patties/beefless beef chunks). There are also lots of vegetarian & vegan meats out there that you can subsititute for what you normally would eat meat with. You can also make lots of cheesy varieties such as baked ziti with (or without) ricotta cheese and mozzarella on top, or macaroni and cheese, stuffed cheese shells, etc. You could also make taco salad with no beef or with vegetarian "beef" crumbles with the taco seasoning (it cooks pretty much the same). Or "chicken" (try quorn, that seems to be the best in my mind) quesadillas, "chicken" pot pie, etc. I usually opt for actual vegetarian meals that do not include vegetarian "meats" but they are good for when you get bored of other meals. Sometimes I make Pasta Roni or Kraft and replace the pasta for whole wheat pasta, veggie & cheese grinders, cheese (& veggie) pizza/calzones, ravioli, manicotti, tortellini, and so on.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Also, those should be kid friendly meals, as I am and always have been a very picky eater, even before going veg!! You could also try eggplant (such as eggplant parmesan etc). Grilled cheese, and vegetarian "hot dogs" "hamburgers" "chicken patties" spaghetti and "meatballs" etc are some other kid friendly options. My favorite lunch is: romaine lettuce, baby spinach, cucumbers, red & green peppers, carrots, sugar snap peas, sliced almonds, mozzarella cheese, croutons, and fat free kens italian dressing (you can only buy it online in packets, but its only 20 calories and covers a huge salad!) I also like to add 2 boiled egg whites for more protein (but since I am picky I eat those separate from the salad haha). And you can also add chick peas, scallions, onions, tomatoes, etc as well. It is a nice lean meal and I really enjoy eating it after I workout. I usually have this with a glass of water with lemon and I feel terrific afterward :) Message me if you have any creative ideas or would like some more!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian with vegan leanings. I also don't eat a lot of soy(no tofu), no gluten or dairy. I'm try to eat as clean as possible and buy organic produce.

I make my own vegetable patties using a variety of beans and vegetable chopped up. I find it's cheaper than buying the premade patties and I know exactly what goes into them. I bought a tupperware burger patty mold from amazon and make up a bunch and freeze. I also eat eggs. I only use olive oile or organic cocunut oil. I also make green drinks in the juicer and add flax seed powder to them. it's a nice, tasty way to get in fruit and veg.Daiya makes a great soy free, gluten free cheese. I eat yukon potatos, sweet potatoes or yams

My favorite breakfast is quinoa cooked with a little coconut milk with dried cranberries and almonds slivers added. The thing I had to learn when preparing quinoa was rinse it so the hull loosens up.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Kids will definitely eat burgers of any kind. Also try making a dipping platter of celery, carrot and grape tomatoe and hummus.
    Mix your own trial mix with nuts, and dried fruit.

I also but quinoas pasta. Serving with roasted veg over top or a low sodium pasta sauce. You can also make bean meatless balls to top.

Try using butter lettuce in stead of tortillas for wraps.
  • MissEmDizzle
    MissEmDizzle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for ALL the good advice..... its very much appreciated!!!!

I hope you all reach your goals

Please feel free to add me and we can help eachother on the way to our ideal health and or weight!!!!