1 onion, cut into thin slices
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 pound green beans, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 pound turkey cutlets, cut into approximately 1 1/2-by-1/2-inch strips

In a large pot, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the sweet potatoes, broth and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Transfer half the soup to a food processor or blender and puree. Return the pureed soup to the pot and add the green beans, the remaining teaspoon salt and the pepper. Simmer until the beans are just tender, about 8 minutes.
Stir in the strips of turkey. Cook until the turkey is just done, about 1 1/2 minutes.
Notes: Turkey Options: If you like, buy a three-quarter-pound piece of cooked turkey breast from the deli to use instead of the turkey cutlets. Cut the turkey into half-inch cubes and heat it in the soup briefly. Another option is to use leftover cooked turkey or chicken. About two cups of cubed leftovers should do it.

4 Servings

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, cut into thin slices
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
    1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 pound green beans, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
    1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
    1 pound turkey cutlets, cut into approximately 1 1/2-by-1/2-inch strips

In a large pot, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
    Add the sweet potatoes, broth and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
    Transfer half the soup to a food processor or blender and puree. Return the pureed soup to the pot and add the green beans, the remaining teaspoon salt and the pepper. Simmer until the beans are just tender, about 8 minutes.
    Stir in the strips of turkey. Cook until the turkey is just done, about 1 1/2 minutes.
    Notes: Turkey Options: If you like, buy a three-quarter-pound piece of cooked turkey breast from the deli to use instead of the turkey cutlets. Cut the turkey into half-inch cubes and heat it in the soup briefly. Another option is to use leftover cooked turkey or chicken. About two cups of cubed leftovers should do it.

4 Servings
This discussion has been closed.