Help with Iron (the pumping kind)

MobiusMan
MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
OK, I'm looking to one or more of you guys or girls that is into the fitness end of this heavily to give me some direction.
A little back story...
From 1980-2000 I lifted regularly for toning. I have all the knowledge of how to lift. I started tapering off 2000-2003 and then got hit head on in a car accident after which I have not lifted at all.

I have a plate in my right hand and 4 screws The right hand doesn't take heavy palm pressure well.(the plate and screws were left in due to the multiple spiral fractures in the 4th metacarpal (ring finger in the hand part).
My right rotator cuff has been repaired from a full tear. In addition the right A/C joint has been opened about 3/4". So... I have slightly limited ROM on my Right Shoulder but not bad, about 8 degrees shy of full overhead from front or side

I'm aware a lot has changed in methodology and technique so I'm looking for some guidance for an overall toning/strength program.at home.

I am set up pretty well with equipment here is the list of my at home stuff

Elliptical, Octane 37e
Lifecycle
Concept 2 rowing machine
Parabody GS4 upper body machine with leg extension
incline/decline seated preacher curl bench
Hyperextension Bench
dumbells 35-3# all paired doubles on 10s, 15s, 20s.
Pilate balls.
Bosu balance balls,
free weights out the yang
12# medicine ball
resistance bands of all sorts
floor mats

I live in Western NY so running is patchy due to severe weather right now but plenty of opportunity come spring.

Anyone up for building a really good plan based on the stuff above.

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I'd suggest looking into some of the workouts routines on Bodybuilding.com, or Tnation.com. Men's fitness magazines have some pretty good workouts too. If you are just starting I'd probably slowly work into something though. Maybe 3 sets of 10 or 15 reps. doing 2 exercises per body part. 2 to 3 days per week. Then Cardio 2 to 3 days per week.
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Firstly I am wrapt that you're getting back into lifting.

Lifting for toning is not possible, toning is done by weight loss, remove the fat to see the muslce and lifting is done for building muscle. You're doing great on the weight loss so you will see them muscles working very soon.

You have dumbbells which is about all you need to start with, you don't need heavy weights, start with 15lbs per hand, that's should be OK for the hand, but I am only guessing.

Start slowly, dumbbell rows for the back, chest press for chess, bicep curls, tricep push, lunges with dumbbells in hand, calf raises with dumbbells in hand, do the exercises slowly, no jerking, no resting, no lockouts, keep tension on the muscles the whole range, both positive and negative, it's really important to keep good form for the whole range, they key is NO LOCK OUT, keep the tension on until you break form. Once you break form, change immediately to the next exercise, no rest.

Once you break form your muscle has failed, and that's what you're after, you don't want to be dropping weights or injuring joints because your lifting with bad form. Just look for bad form, then end. I would add a full length mirror to your "gym collection" so you can see form.

Do some planks on your bosu balance ball for obliques, some crunches for abs and some hovers for total core on your mats.

If you're after a routine, I would strongly suggest you try here www.scoobysworkshop.com
This discussion has been closed.