Ready to quit, day one

Options
I was doing great until dinner. Now I have like doubled my allowed intake. Exercise aint gonna help me now. Screams. This is why i can't count calories i get so defeated.

Replies

• Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    One day at a time!!! You can do this don't beat yourself up it will change just give it some time..
    Keep logging everyday no matter what good bad and ugly... I did and it changed for me...
  • anikkim0915
    anikkim0915 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!!!
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You're not going to be perfect overnight!! Log it and do better from now on. You have to let yourself get adjusted before you can even think about giving up or it wasn't worth trying! By the time you're adjusted, you'll be so good at it that you won't want to quit!
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can do this... one day at a time. I have those same kinds of days, and I just have to put them behind me when they happen. When I mess up one day, I do extra exercise the next day so that over that two day period, I am still in the negative on calories. Remember that the formula is calories in - calories out. As long as you are burning more than you are taking in over the course of a week, then it's all good! Besides, learning to do this differently is a lifestyle change. Most of us, certainly me, cannot make that change in a short period of time. It takes time, but you will get there if you don't beat yourself up for a bad night. Tomorrow is another day, another opportunity! You CAN do it.
  • SewJoe
    SewJoe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, just keep your commitment and remember how badly it feels when we fall. It helped me to remind myself how guilty I would feel if I ate late at night (before bed, dinner long gone). Anyway, I forced myself to close the fridge door, drink some water and go to bed. It was hard, but the feeling of wanting to eat went away in a few treacherous minutes and I woke up extremely happy. Don't give up, keep your commitment.
  • julencamsmom
    Options
    If you fall off, just get right back on. It's ok to mess up occasionally as long as you eat better the next time!
  • jonise1969
    Options
    Don't give up....we all have bad days! You will be fine if you just keep logging on and keep your diet and exercise diary. You will start to change! We are all in this together!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It's only defeat if you give up! Just log everything for a week or so and then go back and look for patterns. See where you can make changes to get you closer to your goals. This is a lifestyle change, you've got time. Good luck :)
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    shoot, don't let that alienate you! weight loss does not occur because you go under calories, weight loss occurs because through counting calories you learn about yourself - how you eat, when you eat, how much you really eat. Then you can make adjustments and learn how to lose weight effectively. These "mistakes" teach you the most about when you eat too much and why, by addressing those times and reasons you can lose weight by building lasting habits. Don't freak out, don't run away, just learn from this. You will lose the weight, I know you will. I can tell you want to so badly, this is you learning how. Don't be angry with yourself, just don't eat any more tonight, and get back on track tomorrow. See if you need to eat smaller meals more frequently, make sure they have enough fat and fiber in them to keep you full until your next meal, make sure you're drinking enough water. It only takes 21 days in a row and then you will have built a habit. 6 months and it's a lifetime habit. But be forewarned - by the time you get this weight loss thing down, you will have to make a new habit because then you will be required to eat more so you can maintain :) Another 21 days and you will have that handled too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My first day was way over too, but I decided that for the first few days it would be a victory just to record what I was eating, this helps me to be more aware of just how much I'm eating.
    Now I find that when I'm reaching for something to eat I stop and think for a minute whether I really want it (actually I always want it, I try to stop to decide if I really NEED it!)
    Keep it up, don't beat yourself up, you'll get there!
    Ruby
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Something that seems to help a lot is plan how many calories you're going to eat before dinner. Its a lot easier when you know you exactly how much of what you can eat. I try to fill my plate with my alloted amount of calories and then immediately put the leftovers away or at least not on the dinner table so I'm not tempted to just get another helping.
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    It is day one. You have to learn to eat the right foods at the right times. This is not something that just clicks overnight. Feel good that you made it through day one. The first week is the hardest. I was so shocked to see how much I ate without even thinking about it in the beginning. Now, 8 months later, the eating is easy I know what I should eat and how much I can have. It does get easier! Log the good days and the bad days and know that there are going to be bad days. There are also rewards if you stick with this. You can do it, don't get discouraged keep your head up, go to sleep and wake up tomorrow ready for a new day.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    oh, and I should add - Day 1 is the hardest. You lose the most weight your first week - because it's the hardest! Just stick with it.
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't give up now! Use your experience to learn from it! Try something different tomorrow from what you learnt today. The lessons we learn the best are those that we learn from mistakes.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    When I first started, my first 3 or 4 days were like way over. But this allowed me to see what I had been consuming on a daily basis. It opened my eyes. That is what you need to use that for. Then you get to look back and what you have been eating. Look at the list and see where you can make changes. Like....hmm, I don't need all that butter on that, or what if I had one sandwich, or what if I had half the ice cream, or how about 2 eggs instead of 3. These are just examples of course. But seeing it allows you to make those changes. Please don't give up. You will get it. No one is perfect right out of the gate. You have got to get back on that horse. Keep plugging and realize that it's a process. We are all still learning each day. Lean on the members for support and hang in there. :drinker:

It can be done! Counting calories is the ONLY thing that has ever truly worked for me!! :smile:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    One step at a time.

Get used to logging and seeing what you're eating and what its nutritional value is. Then, as you educate yourself on what your body does and doesn't need, you can make adjustments as you go. Like others have said, this isn't an overnight change and you're not going to get it all right in one day.

Also, get used to working out. Doesn't matter if it's only 10 minutes a day to start. Just do it. Don't worry yet about your cals in and out so much as keeping track and getting into the habits that you'll need in order to succeed in the long run.

Logging, working out and being mindful are the 3 most critical things you need to learn. Being mindful includes paying attention to what you're eating and the consequences of those choices (good/bad/indifferent), paying attention to your workouts and when you need to speed up or slow down, remembering to drink your water and get sufficient sleep, etc. That's alot to pay attention to and alot to learn.

So, take your time and don't rush. As my son's Sensai told the kids tonight "In rushing, you can make more mistakes and it actually slows you down because you have to do them over again.". Although we all know this as adults, it's awfully easy to forget when it comes to an outcome we want results for NOW. :-)

Good luck!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Baby steps....it'll get easier and more manageable with time.
  • unworthyservant
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!! lol, I went double, sometimes triple over my limit for the first THREE WEEKS!! What I did was give myself some practice time, to just get in the habit of logging my food everyday, don't let yourself feel bad right now. Then after 2 or 3 weeks, start cutting out the foods that are full of calories (like pizza) and try eating something with less calories (like roasted turkey, YUM) and over time your calories will start dropping, just DON'T give up because then you won't know what you are eating. YOU CAN DO IT!! =D

edit: And remember! It's not just calories that matter, as you alter your eating habits, shoot for eating the right amount of fat, carbs, protein, sodium etc. But that is all later, right now your goal should just be getting in the habit of logging!!
  • Surfergurl29
    Options
    I also find it difficult to count calories ...ugh! I like weight watchers and I follow it (I just track here instead of on etools) ..but you need to find what works for you and remember it is a marathon...not a sprint. Not everyone fits into a cookie cutter mold for dieting. Today you might have went over a little, but think of how much you would have gone over if you were not aware (or writing down) what you are eating ....yikes!

Feel free to add me as a friend ;)
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You're just starting out. Continue logging so you can clearly see what you're eating and where you're getting most of your calories, fats, carbs, etc. Then you'll have a baseline to measure your eating habits. It will also help you see where you can cut back. And by looking at other people's diaries, you can learn new ideas for meal choices.