2»

Replies

• shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Fried pork rinds : ) mmmmmmmmmmmm fat and protein
  • FraggleRockerFitnessLover
    Options
    I cut up raw yellow and green squash and snack on that at work when I want my beloved Baked Lays. They are crispy and quite tasty and give me satisfaction
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't substitute anything. I allow myself a single serving of them. It's not like I eat them every day.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Popcorn seems to be my go to now.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes! Make your own at home and bake in the oven. Grab some sweet potatoes, slice thin using a knife or a mandolin, (if your potatoes are too thick, they won't crisp up all the way). Toss your slices in about 2 T of olive oil (for 2 large sweet potatoes) and sprinkle with a little salt and thyme. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook at 250 degrees (F) for 2 hours, flipping your chips once at halfway.

It's also a bonus to rotate the pan while cooking.

I also love using cucumbers(raw) or roasting up carrots.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Sorry..couldn't help myself :sick:

Easy Crispy Cauliflower Chips
    photo-4.JPG
    For those of you who actually would eat this: http://www.manuskitchen.com/2013/03/easy-crispy-cauliflower-chips.html

Edit: I still eat REAL chips, just not a whole bag in one sitting. Just fit it into your daily allowance.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    have one of those little bags the ones that are 150 calories. Popchips, potato chips, same crap, same carbs, same salt, same calories.

Have your chips girl! Just buy the baby bags.
  • elsie0o0
    elsie0o0 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I happen to have fallen in love with these... saw them in Men's Health (I think that's where I saw them at least). They are soooooo good! I've only had 2 kind's so far... so the BBQ ones are good. And if you like salt and vinegar, I recommend those as well.

http://www.popchips.com/

These are the best. I was so sad when my local Costco stopped carrying them, but now they are back!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    your colon will hate you, but fat free chips. or fewer regular ones, or popcorn 97% fat free. and you can substitute carob chips, if you like, for chocolate - they are like little chocolate chips but no chocolate.

Yuck yuck and yuck. I like my colon, it's my friend. You have very pretty eyes but carob does not taste like chocolate.

See what I did there....I complimented you before I disagreed with you. (haha, I'm playing!)
  • ValGogo
    Options
    i eat chocolate and chips regularly and often, just in moderation. on the other hand, i can't even have peanut butter in the house - there is no moderation/will power/divine intervention when it comes to my need to eat peanut butter. it's super-human.

Wow, so you're saying you like peanut butter LOL? isnt' it crazy how some things just turn us into gobble monsters?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Chips, but fewer of them...

...or not fewer of them if you have/can make room in your overall calorie deficit/protein & fat macro minimums/micro targets.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am not a big chip person to begin with, but when I do eat them it's mainly as a vehicle for dips, like salsa or hummus - or once in awhile, delicious Hiland French onion dip. Instead of just having chips and dip I usually have about 1/3 the chip serving and then sub carrot sticks, celery, or cucumber slices for the other 2/3.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You can still have chips, just make sure you weigh out your portions and don't go back for seconds.

If you actually want to get away from the chip habit, I'd suggest eating cut up veggies or fruit. I used to be a big fan of having a snack bag of chips with my sandwich but when I started my weight loss, I gradually changed over to carrot sticks, snow peas (pea pods) and now mainly have an apple with my sandwich. I'm not really a salty snack person anyway but like having something crunchy with my sandwich.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well there are products out there. I found these apple straws at Walmart, and they also had veggie straws. You could also do those mini rice cakes. They make them in all the usual chip flavors and sweet flavors like chocolate (BONUS!).

But I would also recommend portioning your chips. You can buy a big bag and just portion them out in ziplock bags. That way when you want chips, you can just grab a single portion and stop.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Sorry..couldn't help myself :sick:

Easy Crispy Cauliflower Chips
    photo-4.JPG
    For those of you who actually would eat this: http://www.manuskitchen.com/2013/03/easy-crispy-cauliflower-chips.html

Edit: I still eat REAL chips, just not a whole bag in one sitting. Just fit it into your daily allowance.

That looks gross! :sick:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I wish chips were calorie free. Delicious.

No real substitution. I can't even fathom the idea that sugar snap peas (which I do like) could in any way replace or substitute chips. The concept actually offends me.

I have successfully made lower cal chips at home. I just mandolin up a russet potato - dry the slices as well as I can. Coat with a little oil and bake on a wire rack in oven. Doesn't compare to a bag of kettle cooked sour cream and onion, but not bad.

Now if someone can figure out a substitution for Jalapeno-Cheddar Cheeto's pls holla at me.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Popchips! They are awesome.

http://www.popchips.com/

OMG these are AMAZEBALLS! I love the sweet potato flavor..om nom nom!
  • KBClimber
    KBClimber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things at the moment is to make my own plantain chips. I use a mandolin and slice greenish plantains thinly. Spread them out on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper and spray with coconut oil spray. You can then add cinnamon or i like garlic salt.

Stick them in 350 degree oven for 10-15 mins until they start getting golden. Flip and respray and bake until crispy.

Literally the best thing ever and you can make as much or as little as you want to eat so theres portion control.
  • jaclync324
    jaclync324 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Can't believe no one said Kale chips! You make them yourself and you can season them however you like. My two kids (7 and 1) and our dog LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! I made them the other day with olive oil and a ranch dressing seasoning packet. So good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/