Totally Unmotivated!

Mrl617
Mrl617 Posts: 15
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
I feel really unmotivated lately. I have stopped working out because of some seriously painful shin splints. I haven't really been eating healthy lately either. I had one meal today, which was from Dairy Queen. I haven't been eating breakfast either, which I know is the most important meal of the day. I guess I'm just looking for something to motivate me and get me back on track. Anyone else feel/felt this way? How do you deal with this and move on?

Replies

• DMK710
    DMK710 Posts: 106 Member
    you sound a little down. stress and depression can pack the lbs on (it did me) even if you don't eat . Shin splints are painful and you may need to see a doc for relief for that issue.

Your on the right website for encouragment....just read other fitness pals stories too. they always encourage me.

Good luck to you and try really hard to maybe start off with fruit in place of dairy queen.

take care of YOU!!
  • A few yrs ago I had this great momentum going and lost a fair bit of weight than I too suffered shin splints and it derailed me for a while. I guess first is reevaluate your goals. Someone once told me that i just might not want to lose weight that bad, and you know what, at the time I really wasn't in that place yet. Is this something you really want for you? If it is than find other forms of exercise that wont flair up the injury. Aqua aerobics are get for rehabeing any kind of injuries. The elliptical is also good for low impact exercise. I hope that helps.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Have you looked into getting some shinsplint sleeves? I have....I don't have them yet but I think it's an option.

People like these but the criticism is that they fall down

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Shin-Splint-Compression/dp/B000KPHHP6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1295932086&sr=8-4

I'm thinking about getting it.

There's also some shin splint compression sleeves

http://www.amazon.com/Cho-Pat-Splint-Compression-Sleeve-Medium/dp/B0034D94ZW/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

In the program I'm doing (see sig) - I have to jump a lot, running does not bother my, I have medial shinsplints in the front...
  • janesmith1
    What I do is just stop a lot because the pain is horrible.....then I go back to my workout. I imagine if you're in a class it's harder for this to happen but if you're at home, keep working through it, get those compression sleeves (linked above) and i'm sure you can work through it.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    I had a few days like that two weeks ago. I was really depressed and really unmotivated to do anything. I don't know if it was because of the gloomy weather but I just wanted to eat unhealthy and not work out. Don't know if it'll work for you but I took a long bath and had a really good cry. I didn't really have anything to cry about but it was such a good release. I still worked out during those days and believe me, it was tough to talk myself into it but mind really is over matter. If you are sad, just let your emotion take over for a bit, let it out, then move on. Hope this helps. xx
  • Mrl617
    Thanks everyone! I am looking into getting those wraps and see if they will help.
    Also, I think I might be a little depressed due to the weather. I know I really want to lose this weight and it's something I'm striving for. I really just need to take a look at my goals and make sure they are realistic. I also think having a nice bath with help. Maybe just some "me" time. It gets somewhat stressful having a baby and working all the time, I really could use a day at the spa.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Its hard in the winter to get motivated when its cold and snowy everyday!!! At least here in utah it is.. I had shin splints and used a roller thing( I dont know the specific name is but roller, a styrofoam round thing you roll your whole body on) and it worked instantly.. It was really painful at first but after 5 mins it went away...and i havent had the problem since..
    Hang in there you can do this:wink:
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Thanks everyone! I am looking into getting those wraps and see if they will help.
    Also, I think I might be a little depressed due to the weather. I know I really want to lose this weight and it's something I'm striving for. I really just need to take a look at my goals and make sure they are realistic. I also think having a nice bath with help. Maybe just some "me" time. It gets somewhat stressful having a baby and working all the time, I really could use a day at the spa.

Oh the weather totally affects my mood! I'm from California and I've been living in London for 6 years and I'm still not used to the dreary weather here. It is so hard to get myself out of the couch to go for a walk when it's just dark and wet outside...you know, sometimes I get up and just jump around. Not jumping jacks, not jump ropes, I just jump around and wail my arms in the air..like I just don't care =P...that helps sometimes...not sure why...but it helps. Or I listen to Britney Spears and pretend I'm in one of her videos...haha
  • Mrl617
    I do the same thing, not to Britney Spears, but to my music. I turn it up, put my head phones on and just dance around. I live in Illinois and I swear it's one of the most boring states there is. It's been so gloomy lately and I especially hate the winter time. I really can't imagine it being any better in London though. It looks so dreary, but I've never been so I can't really say.

Oh the weather totally affects my mood! I'm from California and I've been living in London for 6 years and I'm still not used to the dreary weather here. It is so hard to get myself out of the couch to go for a walk when it's just dark and wet outside...you know, sometimes I get up and just jump around. Not jumping jacks, not jump ropes, I just jump around and wail my arms in the air..like I just don't care =P...that helps sometimes...not sure why...but it helps. Or I listen to Britney Spears and pretend I'm in one of her videos...haha
  • janesmith1

If you do decide to get them could you bump this thread back up or send me a msg about your thoughts on them? TY. :)
  • Mrl617
    Sure thing! I went to Walmart thinking they might have something, so I wouldn't have to order them online. Believe it or not, they don't have anything. They have foot wraps and that's about it.

If you do decide to get them could you bump this thread back up or send me a msg about your thoughts on them? TY. :)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    im a cook at dairy queen
    that stuff is horrible for you
    but i cant stay away from it cuz i work with it 6 days a week
    haha.

the thing that helps me is shopping for healthy foods
    i actully get excited about it :]
    learning new dishes to make
    and working out with my boyfriend (or a workout buddy) its important to get some support.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    I had shin splints until I changed my shoes, regular sneakers kill me,but Im good wearing skate shoes (airwalk/dc's/enties)
  • Mrl617
    My husband and I used to work out together but now that I've stopped, he's stopped too. So there goes my motivational support. I'm looking for new shoes, but honestly, I don't have a lot of money to spend on shoes. I have very low arches so I know if I got the kind of shoes I need, I would end up spending a lot. If skate shoes help though, I have some Vans. Because I LOVE Vans haha.
  • glturner2
    glturner2 Posts: 5 Member
    I too had shin splints last year, I had to stop running for 3 months but yoga helped and so did changing my running shoes. I now have some trainers with really good arch support and I haven't had any problems since. I saw the doctor about it back then and was advised to cool off on any activity that aggravated it so please be careful. The problems really sapped my motivation but I made it through and I'm sure you'll get through this too.

The yoga really helped me get through this, it gave me the space and time to put my head back where it needed to be and let me focus on what i wanted from my exercise/weight loss program. It also made me realise that a few weeks to re-focus and ensure I was doing things for the right reasons was a good thing.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
This discussion has been closed.