Morning Exercise Vs Evening Exercise

Options
Hello! So I've heard multiple times that I should be heading to the gym in the morning, instead of at night. It would be much more difficult for me, although not impossible, to do so. So I was wondering, what is the difference in impact of morning vs evening exercise, if I'm eating and burning the same amount of calories either way?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• xyz6789
    xyz6789 Posts: 43
    Options
    I hear that all the time too, but you need to workout when you feel its best for you. The main thing is you're doing it. I workout at night because that's when I feel strongest. I've done this all my life and I think my results are just fine. I've tried working out in the mornings and I feel weak and tired. I'm more of a night person myself and I have a ton of energy to burn in the evenings. I'm sure people will disagree with me but workout when you feel most comfortable, if you don't then chances are you're not going to stick to your routine.
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am always very grumpy in the morning ESPECIALLY if i have to get up early just to exercise. Which makes my workouts not fun. And it doesn't help that my fiance is really chipper and happy when he gets up to exercise in the morning. :grumble:

So I wait until mid morning to do anything. :happy:
  • amyrial
    Options
    if you work out during the evening you are not moving as much afterwards compare too during the day.Myself i found working out in the evening keeps me awake later then usual and have hard time sleeping since I have so much energy..the morning exercise is the best cus you feel energize and refreshed for your day. For me the best time was after lunch, i don't have to get up early and i don't have to wait for any machines since it's not as busy at that time. :smile: :wink:
  • rfepps
    rfepps Posts: 8
    Options
    After not eating between dinner and breakfast, many people opt to do cardio in the AM before they eat anything for breakfast because everything burned is coming from stored fat instead of what may be in your stomach. It is true, but some have symptoms such as weakness, shakes, etc. You try it, if you feel ok, make sure you eat a balanced breakfast within 20-30 minutes after working out. If you are into lifting weights, you definately want to have a little protein & carbs , but with just cardio you should be ok. You will know your body. The good thing is, your working out. Keep it up!
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about when it's best for you to fit in your workout. Yeah, i heard morning exercise might be better too, but whats the use if i HATE doing it and have to wake up at 4:30 am because of my schedule. If i did that i would never be able to stick with it. Same goes for evening workouts. The best way to do it in my opinion is find a time that fits into your schedule and plan it into a weekly schedule like an appointment. This way i normally always get mine done.
    however, if you find yourself consistently making excuses for working out the best way to do it is first thing in the morning. Put your shoes next to your bed and your gym clothes next to them.
  • jbolda
    jbolda Posts: 1
    Options
    Here are some articles that might be convincing (yeah, on askmen.com, but they should still apply):

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_60/68_fitness_tip.html
    http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/226_fitness_tip.html

There is another article that I cant seem to find, but it has something to do with Serotonin. I cant for the life of me remember the details though. Oh well!
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I think I'll stick with night then. I've been holding myself to it pretty well, I actually look forward to going as an end to my evening. I don't usually head to bed right after, I have a few hours depending on what time I go. I know if I were to try mornings I'd find myself hitting snooze and going at night anyway.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I kind of do both--basically whenever I can find the time, whatever time it might be! I absolutely HATE mornings (with the passion of a 1,000 fiery suns), but I actually feel best when I drag my @ss out of bed and workout then--rest of the day feels more "awake" and alert than usual. I don't think it affects what I "burn" though... I'd stick with PPark51's comment (half because if that pic is really his, looks like he knows what he's talking about!)--as long as you're working out, that is the best time for you!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've been using a week's trial at the gym to see if I can justify the expense without sacrificing my sanity, and I've found I've just got nothing left in the afternoon. I'll see if I can pry myself out of bed at 4 tomorrow to try the AM workout (gym opens at 5, work starts at 6:30...and somewhere in there I know I've got to shower!)

I'm sure it all depends on how your body and your schedule work together....I wasn't really a morning person until I started dropping the weight and upping my exercise. Now I'm super annoying rather than super annoyed, a plus for me!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest..I am not a morning person. I will lay in my bed, cuddle with my covers, then get up and eat breakfast and relax as i gain my strength and energy back. If i workout in the morning, more likely I won't have fun and I'd complain more. So..i workout more in the afternoon after lunch, before dinner is when I feel my best. On busy days..if i gotta leave early i will do what i need to do first so i have the extra time to sleep if i need it, and will workout after chores, errands, volunteer work unless i have the energy to do so before..which is rare- but it does happen.
  • sadl1313
    Options
    I read the men's fitness articles above and they are good. Seems like they give good pros and cons to evening and morning workouts.

In my opinion, I would work out when it is best for your schedule. Don't discount the value of quality sleep in losing weight. There have been many articles that discuss the effect of sleep on weight loss...especially abdominal fat. More sleep=less abdominal fat. I would only work out in the morning if you can guarantee that you can get a full 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Human growth hormone is released during sleep in a pulsatile pattern. This hormone helps use up your fat stores during sleep, thus the importance of sleep! Plus sleep is very restorative to your body. Without me rambling on anymore, if you have to get up so early that you aren't going to get enough sleep, then I believe more harm than good will be done to the body. You will be more prone to injury and infection, have less energy, and won't be getting all of the fat-burning benefits of sleep. If you can go to bed early and get 8 hours of sleep, then you don't have to worry about all of my rambling above. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I do both, depending on the rest of my schedule. Days I work, I come straight home and straight to working out. Any day that I don't work I wake up early, have a small breakfast of some carbs and protein, let it set for about 30 minutes, then do my workout and have another small meal of some more carbs and protein.

I love working out after work because I usually come home from work dragging and it makes me feel better and I also sleep better because I'm all tuckered out by the time I head to bed. Plus it makes dinner taste that much better, because you've totally worked for it right before. lol

But when I don't work, I much prefer the morning workout because I love the start to my day that it gives me. It's out of the way and I feel pumped and ready to face my day and can go out/hnag out all night without worrying about still needing to get my exercise in. Plus, I can work out more or less if I know what my plans are or just do an average workout and then structure my calories for the day off of that.
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    Morning or night? Simply depends on what works for you - that way it will get done! I love to run as my main form of calorie burn and get up around 4.30am to do this as I love trail running and that is when it is the most beautiful with so much wildlife to enjoy! Also, it is one more thing ticked of my list. However, I am just as passionate regarding night trail runs for the same reason, especially with a full moon. Do what ever gets you 'buzzing'!. It is all worth it. I tend to stay away because I had being inside, that's just me! :glasses:
  • boxerbby
    Options
    EVEN THOUGH I EXERCISE IN THE EVENING, I THINK EXERCISING IN THE MORNING IS GOOD TOO BECUASE IT GETS YOU GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION :bigsmile:
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    working out in the morning can be good for your metabolism. like a kick start....
    I do both depending on rate of recovery etc. I feel awesome all day for it too!

if your feeling tired etc by mid afternoon...
    you are either:
    1 - not getting enough sleep, or
    2 - not eating enough of the right stuff...this for most people is the most likely cause. That or you went way to hard on that morning session, lol. (more likely food related ;p )

I get up, take a pre-work concoction, lol.
    then hit gym, hit it hard for 20 or so minutes.
    then come home and cry in the corner. then have breakfast!!

2-3 hours later im eating my first lunch. 2-3 hours after that, im eating again! then again....

then dinner at home...

never tired, unless for whatever annoying reason i've had a bad sleep the night before...like today. sigh.
  • MrYogi
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of trails and research on morning vs evening workout and I think I came to this logical conclusion:

When you wake up in the morning you have 100% of physical energy.
    If you workout in the morning, you are going to spend 90% of your energy and you have only 10% of energy for the rest of your day to work with. Now, that is why you feel tired the rest of the day.
    On the other hand when you workout in the evening/night, you have 100% of energy to work with most of your day at the job and when it is time for your workout at night, you have 90% of energy left which is good enough for your workout. Which is a win-win situation.

So, it depends on how much energy you need for your workout and for the rest of the day. I sit in front of a computer all day at my job so I only need about 10% of my total energy in a day.
  • luckyandme
    luckyandme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally I love to exercise after work in the evenings. However I am in school and work 2 jobs at this time so my evenings are busy with work, school, school work, and some nights I'm just too tired to get to the gym even straight from work. So this week today infact I started going in the AM before work. My goal is to do this 3x per week then to go on Sat/Sun like I normally do around noonish which I love b/c it's not early not late it's perfect for me. Sadly work gets in the way of doing that everyday. This morning's workout went well and I'm feeling pretty good. Ate breakfast afterward. Breakfast was preplanned last night since I had to bring it to work with me to eat after the gym. This was good b/c it didn't allow for me to over eat like I sometimes do after the gym without even meaning too. If I can keep this up 3x per week I'll be so happy and proud of myself. Really I think when you go to the gym just has to be right for you and your schedule. The other thing is when I was going even after work at 4:30pm I'd notice I had difficultly falling asleep at night by about 11pm. Here's hoping AM work outs go smoothly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sustainability.

this is the key.

If working out in the mornings is not feasible- practical- enjoyable- sustainable- then you won't do it. So don't.

I LOVE working out in the mornings- I feel so energized all day- I love going home knowing I'm done for the day.

But realistically- it's not practically. I have a hard enough time getting up in time for work- much less getting up 2 hrs earlier.
    So I work out at 8-9 PM at night.

Now that I've moved and I live much closer to work- I'll take a look at the realistic nature of working out in the AM- but mostly I hate waking up- so waking up to work out is a chore- no matter how much I love how I feel AFTER.

Find what works for you and sticks. that's the important part.
  • Kaitlinsgettingfit
    Options
    I don't think that it really matters when you do it. The most important thing is that you are doing it! I personally enjoy getting my workouts done in the morning because I get it over and done with for the day! I tend to lack motivation the further into the day I get. So doing it in the morning ensures that I get it done.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Zero appreciable difference. Workout when it's a good time for YOU.