p90x and breastfeeding ?s

Options
i'm looking for friends on here that are moms and workout. I have a two yr old and a 3-wk old as of today and my post-pregnancy dr's appt is Feb 16th and I plan on starting p90x and also running on the side. I also breastfeed my newborn so i'm nervous about calorie intake and also maybe loss of breastmilk. If anyone could let me know how they deal with exercise and breastfeeding that would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did the weight loss contest at the gym and was able to workout and lose weight while still breast feeding...you just have to make sure you are getting enough calories. I believe she had to add in at least 500 extra calories a day--it was important not to get below 1800 calories a day. (It's really important because my sister went too low on calories and quickly lost her milk after her first baby and the only exercise she was doing was some walking.) I have p90x (much tougher than walking!) and I think you'll need to make sure you get enough protein and healthy fats in your diet (along with good carbs.) I'd double check with your ob to make sure how low is too low for your calories and what's most important to get into your diet for optimal milk production while achieving your goals.