Simple carbs vs Complex carbs

Options
I understand that simple carbs are broken down and digested quickly, contain refined sugar and very few essential vitamins and minerals. Examples include table sugar, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, honey, molassess, maple syrup and brown sugar.

Complex carbs take longer to digest and are packed with fiber, vitamins, and mineralsl Examples include vegetables, whole grain bread, oatmeal, legumes, brown rice and wheat pasta.

I received that info from www.briancalkins.com/simplevscomplexcarb.htm

Anyway my problem is I drink fruit juice (ie apple, orange, and grape) alot. I always buy 100% fruit juice. I also drink water. I need the calories because I am trying to gain weights. Drinking water is good but it doesn't give me the calories I need. I don't eat alot of honey but I do put it in my green and white teas.
As far as complex carbs go, I always eat brown rice, whole grain breads, and oatmeal. I don't get as much vegetables as I should but I am working on that. In general I eat a pretty healthy diet. I love organic food. Most of what I eat is organic.

My dilemma is that it is really difficult to keep the simple carbs low considering all the foods that have sugar in them, even when they are organic or natural and fat free. If anybody have any suggestions to help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• krawls33
    krawls33 Posts: 58
    Options
    I understand that simple carbs are broken down and digested quickly, contain refined sugar and very few essential vitamins and minerals. Examples include table sugar, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, honey, molassess, maple syrup and brown sugar.

Complex carbs take longer to digest and are packed with fiber, vitamins, and mineralsl Examples include vegetables, whole grain bread, oatmeal, legumes, brown rice and wheat pasta.

I received that info from www.briancalkins.com/simplevscomplexcarb.htm

Anyway my problem is I drink fruit juice (ie apple, orange, and grape) alot. I always buy 100% fruit juice. I also drink water. I need the calories because I am trying to gain weights. Drinking water is good but it doesn't give me the calories I need. I don't eat alot of honey but I do put it in my green and white teas.
    As far as complex carbs go, I always eat brown rice, whole grain breads, and oatmeal. I don't get as much vegetables as I should but I am working on that. In general I eat a pretty healthy diet. I love organic food. Most of what I eat is organic.

My dilemma is that it is really difficult to keep the simple carbs low considering all the foods that have sugar in them, even when they are organic or natural and fat free. If anybody have any suggestions to help me it would be greatly appreciated.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Good question!

Natural sugar--like that in juices and fruits and honey--isn't as 'bad' for you as refined sugar. Maybe you could eat more fruits instead of some of the juice. That way, you get some fiber, too. And most fruits are packed with good vitamins and minerals.

Sounds like you're doing great on the healthy foods so far.

Hope you get some good answers here that can help you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • krawls33
    Options
    Yeah fruit is so expensive though. Eating right is expensive especiallly organic food. It is worth it though for my health. I have 2 boys to raise so I have to be in top shape physically and mentally.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I really admire you for not falling into the mentality today that "thinner is better" and wanting to be a healthy weight for you and your boys. You sound like a wonderful mom!
  • krawls33
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate the compliment. Being too skinny causes health problems same as being over weight.