Starbucks!

Options
I have to admit, I'm addicted to Starbucks. Thankfully, I rarely drink anything from there because the nearest one is in a few towns over and it takes a good 35-40 min to get there -- and I don't drive.

I love most of their specialty coffees, but I know they're high in calories. So this past summer I drank nothing but Tazo Iced Passion tea with sweetener (because it's absolutely BITTER without sweetener). So I've been buying the tins straight from Starbucks itself and brewing it at home, with splenda. It's much cheaper, but I'm still unsure of how many calories there are in a cup.

What are some other healthier options to drink at Starbucks? Or is it just null and void? haha

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Skim milk, no whip. You drop a lot of calories there.

Avoid the frappuccino like the plague - ESPECIALLY the non-coffee ones.

My personal fave? Grande Sugar-Free Caramel Skim Cappuccino. 80 calories! :D
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Reg coffee! Not only it doesn't cost 6 bucks lol but it doesn't have all that whipped topping and sugary stuff they put in. And it's actually pretty good! Paid 2 bucks for 16 oz :D

But my absolute fav is their Chai Lattes! I just ask em not to put the syrup in it :) But sometimes i splurge ;) Shhhhhh
  • chrish1981
    Options
    The tall skinny vanilla latte is only 90 cals. They're tasty!
  • tokays72
    Options
    Unless your drinking coffee, tea or espresso with no added sweetener then Starbucks is a bad choice. I personally like a little kick to my day but hate the bitter taste of even the most gourmet coffee's. I personally use Chocolate Shakeology (140 cal.) and add frozen fruits such as black cherries or blueberries. I then add an iced cup of coffee and 1 cup of skim milk. Almond milk also works great if your lactose intolerant. With this mix I stay under two hundred calories. Shakeology is both a meal replacement and a body building recovery drink. It has enzymes and pro-biotic's which aid in the digestion of food. It is also nutritionally complete with vitamins and minerals that your body craves. I have saved $200.00 a month off my grocery and eating out budget by using this product. I have tried other health drinks and meal replacement drinks.

Stay away from Starbucks! :)
  • Franticantics
    Options
    I'm an absolute addict when it comes to the Mocha light frappacino...and why not, it's only 90 calories for a small one :)
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Unless your drinking coffee, tea or espresso with no added sweetener then Starbucks is a bad choice. I personally like a little kick to my day but hate the bitter taste of even the most gourmet coffee's. I personally use Chocolate Shakeology (140 cal.) and add frozen fruits such as black cherries or blueberries. I then add an iced cup of coffee and 1 cup of skim milk. Almond milk also works great if your lactose intolerant. With this mix I stay under two hundred calories. Shakeology is both a meal replacement and a body building recovery drink. It has enzymes and pro-biotic's which aid in the digestion of food. It is also nutritionally complete with vitamins and minerals that your body craves. I have saved $200.00 a month off my grocery and eating out budget by using this product. I have tried other health drinks and meal replacement drinks.

Stay away from Starbucks! :)

Shakeology is good...if you can afford it. I find it pricey though. Don't get me wrong, im a huge Beachbody fan, love all their products just not the pricetag

Anyway Steph, have you tried Almond breeze? It's really yummy :)
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    I haven't! Is that a Starbucks coffee?
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    No it's not, it's actually Almond milk. Really yummy! it's low cal, have protein (will keep you fuller) and low carb! Yummy goodness!

Here: http://www.starbucks.com/menu

Got you the link to all the starbucks drink food nutrition :)

Hope it helps!
  • Beth720
    Options
    Reg coffee! Not only it doesn't cost 6 bucks lol but it doesn't have all that whipped topping and sugary stuff they put in. And it's actually pretty good! Paid 2 bucks for 16 oz :D

But my absolute fav is their Chai Lattes! I just ask em not to put the syrup in it :) But sometimes i splurge ;) Shhhhhh

So you get steamed milk? The chai used in the chai lattes IS a syrup.
  • NineInchGirl
    Options

I don't work there, i dunno how she does it, but she doesn't put syrup in it and it don't taste like milk either :p just tea. Could be a two part "syrup" 1 the flavor and 1 the sweetener".no clue but it doesn't taste sweet :p
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    No it's not, it's actually Almond milk. Really yummy! it's low cal, have protein (will keep you fuller) and low carb! Yummy goodness!

Here: http://www.starbucks.com/menu

Got you the link to all the starbucks drink food nutrition :)

Hope it helps!

I will have to give it a go! :D
  • Beth720
    Options

I don't work there, i dunno how she does it, but she doesn't put syrup in it and it don't taste like milk either :p just tea. Could be a two part "syrup" 1 the flavor and 1 the sweetener".no clue but it doesn't taste sweet :p

The recipe for a chai tea latte is the chai syrup, water and steamed milk. That's it. She may not be adding any extra syrup in it, but the chai is a syrup in and of itself. Just fyi - in case you go to a different Starbucks and ask for a "no syrup chai". They'd probably look at you funny. :P
  • changingmadelaine
    Options
    My favorite is a skinny caramel macchiato with nonfat milk! Only 100 calories :)

OR for 90 calories you can get a tall skinny cinnamon dolce latte with nonfat milk.
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the few people who refuses to give up whole milk to lose weight. I also refuse to have sugarfree syrup. So... I get a short whole milk cappuccino. It gives me the nice whole milk foam that I love and it's only about 90 calories.

In this case, I consider the reduced portion size well worth it to get the texture I really like.
  • Beth720
    Options
    I'm one of the few people who refuses to give up whole milk to lose weight. I also refuse to have sugarfree syrup. So... I get a short whole milk cappuccino. It gives me the nice whole milk foam that I love and it's only about 90 calories.

In this case, I consider the reduced portion size well worth it to get the texture I really like.

To me it's not giving up whole milk. I've never been able to drink it. WAY too thick for me. Always has been.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Back to Iphone Apps ... They have one and it lists the contents. I just get Coffee with a shot of espresso ... I TRY to keep all my sugar intake in fruits. Way too much sugar in those drinks
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Starbuck is the devil :P You might as well go an eat a big mac combo if you are going to have one of their frappa whippy things. Definitely an occasional food.

I also only drink whole milk (I only eat whole anything, lite stuff makes me gag when I look at the ingredients) so coffee for me = strong expresso with a splash of fresh cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon :) Try it - it's nicer than you think :)
  • ssaemblog
    Options
    I always get an iced coffee with 2% and sweet n' low. The only time I'll get something else is if my dad's paying, hahahaha. Then I usually go for one of the skinny drinks now. Like the skinny vanilla latte.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I live for java chip frapp lights! the huge one is only 270 calories! I run for starbucks!