Ever stalled by Surgery - What did you do?

mkrafick
mkrafick Posts: 68
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been at this for over a year now - I held my 2010 resolution. It was slow going, but a big change in my body. I've only lost 40-50 lbs (Scale shows 40lbs lost, but I have put on muscle) over the course of the year.

I've hit a few roadblocks - found out my body is very sugar sensitive and that would stall weight loss, started lifting heavy twoard the end of last year which meant stress on my body and an aggrivated back, etc. I was able to get past it, losing a few weeks of progress each time - always holding what I loss but no progress on the scale in those two cases.

However, I had surgery on my sinus's over Christmas. I was pretty much back to normal by 2nd week in January. However the post-op visit I was told no physical activity at least 4 more weeks (Val day).

Got the lecture from a few heath professionals that my body is using all energy to heal itself, even now when I feel fine. I've been told maybe I shouldn't even diet so the calories go to healing.

So I have a few options:
1. Try to maintain for 2 months - not dieting at all, and buimping my calories backup.
2. Diet on food only (no exercise), but to make weight loss I have to drop about 300-400 cal lower than my body is used too. The drawback - will my body heal slower while dieting? Prolonging when I can get back to physical exercise?

I really am frustrated, coming so far only to be stalled AGAIN for a 3rd time in a year. I truly think my doctor is being overly cautious, but will follow his orders and stay away from activity. But should I even diet - is it slowing me down from coming back?

Anyone run into this problem before?

Replies

• First, try to stay positive. It is hard, believe me I know, but eventually I came to realize that there was light at the end of the tunnel.
    Second, follow your doctor's advice. Don't push yourself too hard or you could risk a set back. Realize that by counting the calories and changing your eating habits is a good start in this particular battle.
    Third, don't seclude yourself. Talk with friends family, anyone to stay upbeat and positive!
  • Bump - for those not on at 6am.
This discussion has been closed.