Fruit and sugar question NEED HELP!

Options
So I am trying to eat more fruit as I like it a lot for snacking or breakfast which I never ate before. However, I am going way over on my sugar counts. Is there a difference between good and bad sugar? For example if I'm eating fruit, is it better when I go over on my sugar counts than if I'm eating other things? I need help on ways to keep my sugar down. It's only 830 in the morning and all I've had is a protein shake with banana and am over already!

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Google low-GI fruits. These have the fewest sugars and will have the lowest affect on your blood sugar which will help keep you full and even keel longest. Berries, apples, etc, will be your best friends. Bananas are hard because they are very high sugar. I think the best bet is to shoot for 5 servings fruit and veg a day, and try to make at least 3 of them veggies. For me personally, I would rather eat the sugar from fruits than say from cookies, so I don't mind when I have days like yesterday when I had pineapple and watermelon for snack and went WAY over on sugars. Also, what type of protein shake are you using? That might have more sugar than the banana. If you can, find a protein powder with <3g of sugar per 2 scoops and make your shake with either water or plain nonfat yogurt to maximize both sugar intake and protein. (I do this regularly if you want to look at my food diary.)

HTH!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Or just don't track the sugars. Lots of healthy things have high sugar and you'll always be over.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What all is in your protein shake? (I've never had one, so I don't know.) Does the mix contain sugar? How do you flavor it? Look at that. One banana shouldn't put you over -- if it does, your sugar goal is too low. You should be able to have a piece of fruit.

That said, yes, sugar from fruit is better than added sugar. Now, if you're diabetic, all sugar counts, but for dieting purposes, you need to pay more attention to added sugar and calories. If you're eating a couple of servings of fruit each day, that's good for you, regardless of the sugar numbers. You wouldn't want to eat nothing but fruit, because then you'd have other issues besides just going over on your sugar, but a couple of servings a day isn't a problem.