Anyone have to up their calories to see sucess?

Options
This week I've upped my caloric intake to 1700 net, I was told going from 1200 to 1700 calories a day with my work out schedule I would see better resorts... opps I mean results... can you tell I have our trip south to a all inclusive resort on the brain LOL!... anyone else do this with sucessful results?

Replies

• lisa_lotte
    Options
    I couldnt believe it when someone told me that I wasnt losing weight as I hadnt been eating enough. It seemed crazy to me that I would losing wieght by eating more. It has working though and since I have started counting calories and eating enough (and always eating exercise calories) I have started losing again :-)

Lisa
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    yep it works, although I do it the other way round, I cut back to 900 cals a day for a couple of days then up to 1200 ;-)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I couldnt believe it when someone told me that I wasnt losing weight as I hadnt been eating enough. It seemed crazy to me that I would losing wieght by eating more. It has working though and since I have started counting calories and eating enough (and always eating exercise calories) I have started losing again :-)

Lisa

Me too..

read these!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had to do the same thing... I was eating a NET of 1100-1300 calories, and apparently that wasn't enough fuel for my body to function properly... so it was hoarding everything. Once I bumped it up to NET 1300-1400, I started seeing results. Weird, ain't it? But hey - it works!
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    yep it works, although I do it the other way round, I cut back to 900 cals a day for a couple of days then up to 1200 ;-)

Ah yes, a nice shock to the system... especially when you're stuck in a plateau!
  • ktrame71
    ktrame71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too have realized that I need to eat my exercise calories so my net calories equals my daily calorie goal. Before I started eating my exercise calories, I was barely losing. My hard part now is I love to exercise so much, I am burning 600 - 1000 calories a day in a workout. That is a lot of calories to eat when you are already full. :)
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the same boat. I'm usually around 1100-1200, even days that I work out, and I'm stuck. I've not been at it too long though, going on week 5, so I was trying to wait and see if it'd start moving again, but I may bump it up just a little. I honestly am eating enough that I'm not hungry, but maybe I'll do things like have a whole egg instead of an egg white...that kind of thing...and see what happens. I'm running 4 miles, 3 times a week then a couple of days of weight training, so I may need more?
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options

Ah yes, a nice shock to the system... especially when you're stuck in a plateau!
    and it's great adding the cals cos it feels like u can eat loads ;-))
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been really struggling to eat my calories lately, I usually average between 800 and 1000 and burn between 500-600 a day with tae bo. I am now making a conscious decision to try and get between 1200-1500. My weight loss has been bugging me lately, I've hit a real low and some days I'm a pound or two heavier than I was another day. It feels very discouraging and I get really upset by it as I feel I'm working so hard and not getting any results. I'm hoping upping my calorie intake will finally get some more weight off. I've still got 24lb to go! :-(
  • caroline1982
    Options
    I go to weight watchers but was curious to see how many calories I was eating a day so I joined this site. I seem to be eating only around 1,050 if I follow the weight watchers plan and with going to the gym 2-3 times a week that does not seem enough. My weight has stayed the same for the last two weeks which seems silly considering less calories plus exercise should equal weight loss. Now I have read these posts I do seem to recall in the last few months when I have cheated a few times and gone over my budget to about 1400-1500 that week I have actually lost weight I guess I just thought it was a fluke.
    Maybe I will try bumping up my dinner on gym days with extra chicken and pasta and seeing how it goes.....feel guilty adding on more calories when I am trying to lose weight.

Ps. this site is also a million times better for finding products on the data base that weight watchers so I think I might swap for good. plus I am going to disney on holiday soon and all the places I like to eat over there are in the database so it will be easy to keep track.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My friend has this problem and her solution is to have more cups of tea and eat a couple of her favourite biscuits in the eveningas a treat after her exercise or after dinner/doing some coursework!

I dont think you need to eat all your exercise calories back, this website won't be totally accurate but i try to eat 200/300 if i've burned 500 cals for example!
  • ktrame71
    Options
    Great idea! I also enjoy a tablespoon or two of light peanut butter with an apple or cracker. Super yummy and doesn't bother me before a run :)
  • ktrame71
    Options
    I agree. This site is so much better than weight watchers.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I uped my calorie intake to 1400 from 1200 and its been going slow for me i work out 6 days a week doing jm 30 day shred and 30 mins on elliptical, idk what else to do? i am eating some exercising calories but getting very discouraged HELP!
  • ktrame71
    Options
    MFP had my calorie goal at 1210 right now. I let MFP figure my calories burned per exercise (I don't have the time and money to buy a heart rate monitor). I usually burn around 600 to 1000 calories a day on my workouts according to MFP when I input my exercise. So I need to make sure that I have had 1,810 to 2,210 calories depending on how many calories I have burned. I wish I could tell you more about how it is working for me right now.

Good luck!
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    so how do I figure out if I am eating enough or to much?
  • colonelangus
    Options
    I've been doing this six or seven weeks, I just figured out how I could get my food pyramid into a 1000 cals. It works, you will lose a couple pounds a week.
  • ktrame71
    Options
    I just make sure my net calories is no more than less than 50 - 75 calories for my daily calorie goal. Such as yesterday - My calorie goal is 1210. I consumed 1,669 calories but burned 508 calories through exercise. that left me a net of 1,161 calories with 49 calories remaining.

At first I was just paying attention to my calories consumed to get them to equal my calorie goal. After about two weeks and not much happening other than feeling really hungry and grumpy, I realized I needed to pay attention to my net compared to my goal.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes I had to up my calories and eat all my exercise calories to continue to lose weight. This was hard for me to believe but it's so true. You have to eat to lose weight. Lost my 20lbs and have been happily maintaining sense November.

Good luck on your journey everyone.
  • renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 times a week burning around 550 calories, and eat alittle under 1,100 calories a day. I actually gained 2 lbs!!! I'm about to up my calories because my BMR says I need to eat around 1,500 just to maintain!!! (I'm 5'9...165 lbs). I think I will up my calories and see what happens. To the people who upped, what kinds of things did you add that didn't make you feel so heavy?!?!?