I have got to try this! Banana Ice Cream

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Ok, so I'm watching "Good Eat" with Alton Brown. It's about bananas. He just made banana ice cream using nothing but bananas, cream, and touch of vanilla.

IT LOOKED DELICIOUS!

Now, here's what I'm wondering-can you make ice cream using just skim milk instead of cream? Anyone know?

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    Ok, so I'm watching "Good Eat" with Alton Brown. It's about bananas. He just made banana ice cream using nothing but bananas, cream, and touch of vanilla.

IT LOOKED DELICIOUS!

Now, here's what I'm wondering-can you make ice cream using just skim milk instead of cream? Anyone know?
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    mmmmm yum and yum....I'm thinking skim would be more ice textured because of the low fat ....but then again...what do I know????!!! :ohwell:

hugs and good luck!
    Ali
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I will take a frozen banana or two and just put it in the food processor. It's very creamy and sweet. I don't add anything. It's kind of "sorbet-ey", but you could probably use a little skim milk (or 2%) and get a similar result. I like the idea of adding a touch of vanilla. I sometimes add cinnamon.

Also, my new favorite treat is a lesser evil chocolate "milkshake" using a frozen banana and a cup of chocolate soy milk. It is really good. Really good. :tongue:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I will take a frozen banana or two and just put it in the food processor. It's very creamy and sweet. I don't add anything. It's kind of "sorbet-ey", but you could probably use a little skim milk (or 2%) and get a similar result. I like the idea of adding a touch of vanilla. I sometimes add cinnamon.

Also, my new favorite treat is a lesser evil chocolate "milkshake" using a frozen banana and a cup of chocolate soy milk. It is really good. Really good. :tongue:

um that sound unbelievably delicious!!!!!!:tongue:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    the best way is to try it I guess...... how about substituding half of it with yogurt, that might help with the creamieness, because I would think it would be more popsicle like if you just used skim milk
  • shorerider
    Options
    Hate yougurt!

Going to try it this weekend I think and see how it turns out with skim milk.

Will let everyone know
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I dont think skim milk wont have a good texture. but I would try Vivikays suggestion (above) and add some fat free vanilla yogurt. or use fresh bananas, make the mixture and then freeze it. Once it's frozen break it up into small peices and throw it into the blender to make it creeeeeeeeeamy. mmm that sounds yummy.:flowerforyou:
  • supersaver
    supersaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just putting a frozen banana in a blender sounds really good. I think I'll try it. Thanks.:wink:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Just putting a frozen banana in a blender sounds really good. I think I'll try it. Thanks.:wink:

That's what AB did--froze the bananas and then blended them with the extra stuff.

I told my hubby if nothing else, I want to try a banana smoothie like that!

Never had a smoothie before but now that I can eat fruit (limited of course) again, I want one!!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've made banana ice cream using one of those "ice cream balls" (see link) and it is AMAZING! I actually made frozen yogurt and all it was was mashed up banana, milk, nf plain yogurt, splenda and vanilla. Throw the ball around for 20 minutes and it makes incredible ice cream!

http://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Cream-Maker-Quart-Green/dp/B000QV20BU/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212821525&sr=8-1

I wouldn't suggest skim milk -- I've tried it and it just doesn't work -- gets all crystallized like the other posters mentioned.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love banana ANYTHING!!!! Hmmmm.....
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Ohman it all sounds so good! lol What if you froze the skim milk and the banana seperately and then blendered *lol* the whole thing?
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to Alton's recipe. But it does call for simple syrup and lemon juice, as well. Sounds fab!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27213,00.html