Taco Bell 'Beef' Less than 35% Beef?

Options
13»

Replies

• Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's funny. This week I was craving Taco Bell. I have been sick and not craving any type of food for a month, so I decided to go for it and get some ( I call it Taco Smell :laugh:)

Anyway. As I drove home with the food, instead of that mouth watering reaction I have had in the past I felt a bit nausaus (sp). I thought, "Oh that is because you have been sick!"

When I got home and opened it a crunched into the first one and this reddish goop fell out the other side. What is that? I remembered the taco meat being brown with meat in it. Instead it is now a reddish color and I didnt see much of anything that resembled meat. So I ended up eating one with 'meat' and 2 with out. I just cracked the bottom and threw it in the garbage. The crunch of the taco, cheese, lettuce, tomato and sour cream was what I apparently was craving anyway!

I wonder if you can order a taco, no meat?? :huh:

P.S. I had a bad experience with McDs and have never eaten another burger from there. Now TB is off my list. Before you know it I will be eating clean and yummy foods only!! Well...........except for Wendy's :laugh:

You CAN order a taco with no meat, I'm a vegetarian and I just tell them that! Sometimes they ask if I want beans instead but that has lard in it (among a bunch of other gross things plus too many calories!) So if you're craving the crunch, go for it!

Cool thanks.............after reading this I went to TB and asked for " A beef meximelt no beef no beans" she was confused...........I said it will be like a grilled cheese and tomato because it is a flour tortilla, pico and cheese steamed in the machine.

It was delish!! I found out they put 1oz cheese in each one.

That sounds awesome. I'll have to try it!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    USDA guidelines say that taco fillings only have to contain, I think, 55% actual beef, and even if a place advertises 100% beef, that doesn't mean it's what we would call meat. It likely includes other tissues - tendons, and yummy stuff like that mmmmm.

I think you have a point there. It's probably similar to the way McD's burgers are peppered with chunks of cartilage, and directly related to the reason why cold McNuggets BOUNCE like superballs. (Great for all sorts of late-night games, I found out while I was in college.)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I always thought of Taco Bell meat as dog meat so this doesn't surprise me. Nor does it upset me and I can't see why people are suing. Are they upset their 39cent taco wasn't real beef? You get what you pay for. Cheap food is usually cheap. It's not rocket science.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you crave Taco bell, go with steak instead. Easy peasy!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I find making these things at home make me bery bery happy! I can control what goes into it. I dont even use the packets due to the sodium, any more. I found a recipe for taco seasoning on line and make up a cup of the stuff. It is also good when just grilling up a pc of chicken breast. My friend used it on her grilled tofu steak. I used ground chicken or 10% fat fresh beef.

The taco shells are what they are, but you can buy low fat soft tacos or wraps.

I also made a taco burger. Made my ground taco meat. Took a whole wheat bun, taco meat, homemade pico, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole if I have it, 2% sharp shredded cheddar. It was a great 'taco burger" mmmmmmmmmm now I am hungry. Guess I know what I am making for lunch :laugh:

Thanks to everyone who broke my love of TB. Other than the cheezy thing I have no desire for their food any longer.

Now if I could just quit pizza I'd be 110 pounds in no time :laugh:
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    Taco meat freezes well, too! I usually make a double bath and freeze half for next time we have tacos, then I can just put the frozen block of taco meat in the slow cooker in the am next time we want tacos. Freezing it in single-Serve portions would be great for taking to work sometimes
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Taco meat freezes well, too! I usually make a double bath and freeze half for next time we have tacos, then I can just put the frozen block of taco meat in the slow cooker in the am next time we want tacos. Freezing it in single-Serve portions would be great for taking to work sometimes

Thanks!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Fast food 'meat' is a disgrace. I'm a high quality person and putting cheap food in my body is a disgrace. Everyone should feel this way. I doubt they will win the case though. It is all about the $ and no one, even our mighty government, is going to mess with the billion dollar fast food business. The government preaches healthy eating but let's face it... if everyone stopped eating that junk today the economy would suffer tremendously and the government would lose out on millions of tax revenue generated by the mass majority that eat this 'food.'

It's all about the Benjamins!

But in this case it ISN'T about the Benjamins. This is not a case with a monetary reward. They are only askig that Taco Bell be truthful in their advertising. The negative publicity alone will force Taco Bell's hand.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It can't be any worse then some of the other crap people put in their body. I'm not a big fan of fast food. But when I do eat it, I normally go to Taco Bell.