BREAKING OUT!

Options
Soooo I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and I just started breaking out!!! I never break out - I get about 1 zit once a month.. if that, I've always had clear skin. Now, I am breaking out! My chin especially.. this has never happened before.

Could it be from my "new lifestyle?" I've been drinking plenty of water and eating well.

What's going on?????

Replies

• crobertson1916
    Options
    I'm with you. I've been struggling with the same issue for a several months now. I am interested in any feedback you get from this.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Break outs can be caused by sweat. Do you find it happens primarily after exercise? I often get "prickly heat" after a run where I break out all over my chest and sides of my face and neck. It's irritating and ugly but it generally goes away after a day or two.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Your bodies are just cleansing themselves! Once you start eating healthy foods and drinking lots of water, your body starts to filter out the toxins and impurities that they have been holding onto while you've lived a less healthier lifestyle. So just keep up that water intake and keep exercising and your skin will eventually clear up! (Exercising is especially helpful because you sweat and it'll help clean out your pores.) :)
  • CJWirth09
    CJWirth09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you work out in make-up this is a common culprit. I try hard not to do it although it is hard when I go there right after work. But I try to wash my face REALLY good before if I can and also right after.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You will tend to break out more in the beginning. I know I did! My suggestion would be to wash your face more, and use a face lotion with sycilic acid (or however you spell it) or benzyole peroxide (Ok...don't know how to spell that one either :). Proactive works well, and you can usually get a system for $19.00 a month (they sign you up to get a new shipment automatically every month, but you can quit anytime). I usually do that and get about 2-3 months supplies and then stop the shipments. I don't use THAT much to need new stuff every month and it gets expensive. Otherwise, clean and clear has a acne lotion that works pretty well too.
    Good luck! :)
  • ForeverRange
    Options
    Great feedback lruff1987.
    And congrats on your steady success, -38 since April 2010, wow! Inspirational. Keep up the good work.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I had clean skin until I had kids. Im 32 now and still have break outs. I started breaking out and getting an acne rash around my mouth. After a few months of it not getting better I went to the Dr. He took picture and sent it to the Dermatologist. I have adult acne. They put me on antibiotics for almost a yr to control it. Acne is controlled by your hormones and has to do with shrinking of the pores. You can get a few pimples from your work outs. Just make sure to shower after a work out and use a acne rinse. I like Johnson's Clean and Clear. I'm now off the antibiotic and its better but now perfect.

Don't worry too much about it. Once your body gets used to the changes it will level out. Keep up the good work.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you work out in make-up this is a common culprit. I try hard not to do it although it is hard when I go there right after work. But I try to wash my face REALLY good before if I can and also right after.

OMG! I didn't even think about the makeup part!! I onyl work til 1:30 so I usually workout whenever I get home, take the dog out, eat a quick lunch... and don't even think about washing my face off!

I normally use Neutrogena grapefruit face wash, smells sooooooo good and works really well on my face usually. Today when I go home, I'll be sure to wash all my makeup off :)
  • nikapp13
    Options
    so pleased i saw this thread as ive found this happening too.. I NEVER get spots (maybe one every six months) and today i have loads.

will try removing makeup before a work out...although i normally exercise first thing so dont have any on really. hopefully it will clear up on its own
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    To add to the working out with makeup item:
    If you do workout with makeup on, make sure to bring some sort of a cleansing towelette for your face (I use AcneFree Sport Wipes) and use it immediately after working out. It gets off the makeup and gets dirt and sweat out of your pores after your workout.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I agree with what was said before, your body is detoxing.

Try to wash your face before and after each workout.

Also, wash your hands A LOT at the gym! Gyms are germ cities.

Drink extra extra water and it should all clear up in a few weeks!

I know it's frustrating, but don't let this derail you! You're doing great!

BOTTOMS UP! :drinker: <----water
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    It's all about cleaning your skin! All that stuff about chocolate and fried foods etc are old wives tales (obviously since I doubt you're eating that stuff!) Just wash your face regularly - I was every time I shower and before I go to bed - I had to start doing that a couple years ago and now I get like 3 pimples a year...maybe! I use clean and clear face wash, then oxy face pads and then I use an astringent with witch hazel. That's my personal combination that works for me but maybe something like that will work for you!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh the skin the largest organ of the body. I agree with others that you may be detoxing but I would also say that if you are close to menstrating this could cause it. Most people will break out on/around the chin during the time of the month. I would discourage using too many cleaners to get rid of sweat. The reason I discourage this is you could dry out your skin by cleaning it too much. As a result ur skin will produce more oils in attempts to recover from being dry = more breakouts. Not sure what state you live in but most the people I know who have issues with skin is due to dryness and sebum overproduction (Utah is dry). If you live in a humid state you may be safer to clean more. Without seeing your skin its hard to give to many suggestions. Im an esthetician and if you have questions feel free to message me. Hope this helps:smile:
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I'm gald I'm came across this thread. I broke down to get a facil because I am breaking out so much and really want to have my pores cleaned and try for a fresh start. I seldom wear makeup and wash my face morning and night and even before my workouts. And it only seems to get worse. I didn't take into consideration the climate. I was in a sandy humid location for 2 years then I am up north dealing with cold and wet weather. I definitely notice the difference in my skin on my shoulders blades. They've dries so much it like little cuts. But my face has felt the same. Maybe it is reacting in a microscoptic way. Either way, it sucks! I'm having more breakouts now than I did as a teenager!