Is it normal to get a headache when first losing weight?

Options
Hey,

So I started here last week and if today's early morning weigh in is any indication I may be up to 6lbs lost in a week and a half. but heres the thing, I am a pretty healthy, albeit overweight, out of shape, guy but over the last week or so I have been getting these slight headaches. sometimes they go away after I eat sometimes they persist. they are not strong ones but they let me know they are there. I just had a checkup and was told i was fine, my HBP is regulated, so I am not sure... I have been drinking about 1.5 710ml bottles of Crystal light a day and then usually a couple small glasses of water. any thoughts?

Thanks

Replies

• darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Dehydration most likely.

Drink all 8 8oz glasses of water every day.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    did you used to drink a lot of pop or eat a lot of chocolate? could be caffeine withdrawal headaches.
  • Kimlarge
    Kimlarge Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you can get headaches if you drastically change your diet, specifically when i cut a lot of unhealthy carbs i got headaches for a couple days!
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    make sure you stay hydrated ... also could be withdrawal symptoms
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    I would say dehydration also. Make sure you are getting plenty of water. Get in the habit of taking your water bottle everywhere you go. Like your phone! :love:
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Can be due to dehydration - what sort of dieting are you doing ? Some of the diet plans can cause headaches whilst your body is adjusting to the new make up of the food you are taking in. These will usually pass as your body detoxes, becomes more hydrated and also sorts out where it is getting its food from.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You may be eating alot less than your body was used too. Eat five or six small meals and drink alot of water. My mom when she cut her sugar intake down with southbeach diet had headaches too.
  • shae123
    shae123 Posts: 26
    Options
    My experience has been any time I cut alot of something out of my diet and did not replace it with water I have had headaches. Hydration is key when cutting out caffeine, sugars, carbs, etc.
    I hope this gets better for you soon.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I experienced this as well, i thought maybe it was a switch in food, and asked my doctor, he said it could many different things. Just like the previous posters wrote, caffeine withdrawl, drastic change in food, dehydration. I def. drink enough water, it was just the sudden change in food habits, no more greasy, full carby meals! They do pass, thankfully!!

Good Luck, take a few tylenol and keep on keepin!!! :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My headaches went away when I started dieting, and exercising. I do get lightheaded when I work my legs though. I'd say the same as everyone else. Drink more water, less crystal light. I used to drink a lot of gatorade and found out too much is not a good thing.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. Your body is probably going through a sort of detox from the sugar and fat that you were eating.
  • traceyblt
    Options
    Its probably your body detoxing, i had the headaches on day 4 of my diet but i,m glad 2 say they have subsided, so stick with it and u should be ok :)
  • spunky_spit_fire
    spunky_spit_fire Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good quetion I was wondering the same thing because I have slight headaches daily also ! I assumed it was from no longer drinking 2 liter of coke cola everyday and I do drink 8 glasses or more of water now ,
  • SirJFK
    SirJFK Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I haven't thought about too much planning when it came to start counting cals I just pay attention to how many calories a serving is of whatever i'm having and try to track it. today was the 1st time planning my day and going from there. I thought Crystal light was a good substitute for water?? I never used to drink a lot of water before and normally i could never drink just plain water, but i'll try that and see. I have been pretty lucky, I had been drinking Diet Pepsi for a couple years and have always liked the taste of the non caffinated variety so i only have caffinated pop on occasion. I have 1 coffee a day. the only other DRASTIC change i've made is I have started eating salads more and more fruit. other than that... i'm eating the same foods just less... but i'll try drinking MORE plain water and see if that makes a difference other then having to visit the mens room every ten mins :)

Thanks for your advice and encouragement I'll keep you all posted

John