MEN VS. WOMEN

Options
So my husband and I are doing this together. So far he has lost 66lbs to my 24lbs. He does have more weight than me to lose but why is it men lose more weight then women so much faster? And why do they burn more calories when doing the same excercise as a woman?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Men naturally have much more muscle mass. Muscle burns calories at rest or during exercise.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Well, I have always said most men are full of *kitten*....perhaps this is evidence?

Just kidding. I know this is common, but I am not sure why. Off the cuff I would say that we are engineered to store fat in the event of pregnancy, child birth, breast feeding, etc. That's my common sense theory but I don't know whether there is any science to back it up.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for us women, our bodies tend to let go of less fat than men's bodies. Thanks to our ancient DNA of only being mothers, cooks, cleaners, etc., we didn't need a lot of muscle to go run and hunt and defend the family. So thousands of years later, we burn less calories and it takes longer for our bodies to understand we want to LOSE the fat, not keep it.
  • improvstitute
    Options
    Men naturally have much more muscle mass. Muscle burns calories at rest or during exercise.

Yep!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Naw, like Eric said men have more muscle mass on their bodies and testosterone. Muscle helps to rev up our metabolism. Fat is inactive and does nothing but store the toxins in our body. Many women simply diet down without a care in the world to whether they are losing fat or muscle. They just want to lose "weight". Also, they do not care to do any resistance training to even the score. Even though both men and women have estrogen in their bodies, women of course have more than men. In simple terms, estrogen makes us fat.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    So my husband and I are doing this together. So far he has lost 66lbs to my 24lbs. He does have more weight than me to lose but why is it men lose more weight then women so much faster? And why do they burn more calories when doing the same excercise as a woman?

Two things BALLS!.. We have testosterone which helps us exercise harder, build more muscle and metabolise fat faster. It is just the way it is. Men and Women are built differently for a reason. Women have to birth and feed children. They also have a stronger sense of smell and taste which unfortunately makes food taste so much better and makes it easier to get lost in food. Men by nature are also more aggressive which makes fitness and easier activity for us to embark on. Hope that helps.