Ice Cold

dewoods
dewoods Posts: 148
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
First and foremost I am no expert on the topic I am posting. I was just doing some research on the effects of body temperature to weight loss and thought I would share what I found. If you don't like it, delete works great.

It has been said that short term exposure to cold, 30 mins or so, will induce fatty acid release to provide your body fuel for heat production. Shorter durations of cold exposure with shivering can increase adiponectin levels and glucose uptake by muscle tissue. Even if there is no shivering it is still possible on burning fat via stimulation of BAT(brown adipose tissue) thermogenesis. Cold water also improves immunity. Cold exposure has immunostimulating effects, and preheating with physical exercise or a warm shower can enhance this.

There was a lot of data and details that I won't bother to input here.

Here are 4 steps to take that could be of benefit.

1.) Place an ice pack on your neck for 20-30 minutes in the evening.

2.) Drink 500ml of ice water as soon as you get up in the morning prior to eating or drinking anything else.

3.) Take 5-10 minute cold showers. Use hot water first for a couple of minutes then switch it to cold.

4.) Take 20 minutes baths that will cause shivering.

I am working the first 3 steps but have not decided to do a polar plunge just yet.

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I just read the exact info the 4 Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss...great book!
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96

This is off topic, but I love your ticker! Could I ask where you got it from?
  • dewoods

That is the book I am reading as well. I have been skipping around finding what interests me first.
  • nejohn
    nejohn Posts: 62
    I heard some ladies after class last night talking about this! I believe it was on Dr. Oz yesterday. Very interesting!
  • dewoods
    I heard some ladies after class last night talking about this! I believe it was on Dr. Oz yesterday. Very interesting!

The author of the book The 4 Hour Body Timothy Ferriss was on Dr. Oz yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.