Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother?

Options
HMKan
HMKan Posts: 472 Member
Has anyone read Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother? I finisehd it a while ago. My husband is Chinese so this has been a huge conversation topic among my in-laws. It's really interesting, if not contraversial, and I wondered if anyone else had a take on it.

Replies

• feezybeezy
    feezybeezy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to read it too. I am Chinese and was raised with the same strict discipline.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I would like to read it too. I am Chinese and was raised with the same strict discipline.

It's a quick read. I'd love to hear your take if you read it. Or even your take on the strict discipline that the book has become known for.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I read it last night. I was very frustrated and a little outraged the whole time I was reading it. I agree that parents should push their children to be the best the can be but I think there are better ways of doing it. I think you can still let your children have a childhood (with summer camp, sleepovers, and the freedom to choose sports or drama over music or math club) while still raising them to be the best. Everyone is different, we all have different talents and natural abilities. Forcing a child to play a specific instrument or to miss out on activities completely ignores their individuality and natural talents.