Heart rate monitors

Options
I think it's time I need to get a hrm. I bought one last year from walmart for 30 bucks. It was actually a calorie counter for calories burned. I thought it was great..you wear it like a watch until i realized that it was counting calories when only that arm was moving AND that it was counting calories when I wasnt even wearing it. like wth. How is that accurate??
I didnt want to spend alot of money but I think im going to need to in order to get an accurate one. What are some suggestions.

Replies

• Sohnsearae
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I was looking at some online last night and they all don't say that they count caloires. I need one that is going to give me an accurate account of how many calories I have burned when working out and I don't want a bulky one either. So I'll look back at this and thanks for posting!
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 and I love mine.
    Make sure you have a chest strap and that it's coded.

I don't know what I did without one.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Times makes a great one. Check out a recent forum topic. It's the timex T5 something.. couldn't tell you the name, but it sells for just under $60 on Amazon, but is $97 in stores. I really like it. Think it was more accurate than my old one. Comes with the chest strap as well. Got great reviews and I like it so far. Good luck!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    polar ft7!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 and I love mine.
    Make sure you have a chest strap and that it's coded.

Did it come with a chest strap? and what do you mean by coded?
  • fatBgone80
    Options
    i just got the Polar FT4. so far its been working great for me, plus it has a chest trap to get a reading off your heart, not your movement. Its around $90 but its so worth it.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Like..how do you wear the strap?
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by their chest strap monitors. I prefer my watch HRM. It is from New Balance and pink (Komen). I bought it from Kohls.com. It takes your pulse by laying your fingertips on the face. It takes about five seconds and you don't have to stop moving when you do it. I have found it to be accurate. It is always within 20-40 calories of what MFP says. Like yesterday I did 50 minutes of dancing. My HRM said 600 and MFP said 606. So I believe it is close. I let it take my pulse every 3 to 4 minutes while I am working out, so it can adjust to my changing heart rates during the work out. You only need to measure calories burned during the workout. When you are done, press stop. The rest of the time, it wears like a regular watch. It was on sale when I bought it and I had a 20% coupon, so I got a good deal, but I believe they are normally around $50. I love mine and I highly recommend it to others. :smile:
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    polar ft7!

Yep! That is the one I have! Works great!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Check around for deals. I happen to find a great deal on a Polar F4...not the best model but it works for me. Anyway, it was on sale at the time for about $44. It has a chest strap and I just put it under my sports bra. Only one time did it have an interruption in counting.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I also have a similiar watch but it is irritating. I am going to invest in one with a chest strap. If I am lifting weights, I have to put the weights down and take my pulse. Or if I am playing tennis, I have to pause the game to take my pulse which sometimes takes up to 15 seconds. It can be really irritating when you use your arms in your actual workout.
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I dunno which one I have but I LOVE mine! Only used it twice so far but its great for timing workouts and giving total calorie burn, which considering I do 20mins of resistance training is really good. I just need to learn how to set up the ranges for cardio and fat burning. Highly recommend using one though!
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    polar ft4 - amazon.com for me
    love the chest strap so i don't have to stop during exercise to see what my hr/cal are
    i'm very pleased w/my purchase
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    polar ft7!

• kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    polar ft7!

• Maztastic
    Options

If you're female around your chest just at the base of your breasts. For males somewhere similar, just under the nipples. I'm female and when I wear mine with a bra I find the bra hold the strap in place and is not uncomfortable. I also wear it for swimming but find the strap pulls down when performing a racing dive so normally remove it if diving.
  • alfroid2k
    Options
    After doing some research I decided to go with a Polar Ft7($85) for my wife and a polar wearlink plus with Bluetooth($79) for myself so i can use it with my android phone. Both use a chest strap which seems to be the most accurate way of measuring. the ft7 was 5 bucks more than the ft4 at amazon... not sure about the feature differences but my wife liked the looks of the ft7 better :P

anyways we cant wait to get them and start counting our burned calories more accurately.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If you have even a tiny bit of you that likes the outdoors, enjoys taking a walk outside, or biking in the sunshine, I highly recommend the upgrade from a regular Heart Rate Monitor to this HRM that also has GPS in it. It will open up a whole new world of burning calories! I have bought several of these for family members and clients. They all LOVE them!!!!

Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor (the link for this price at Walmart.com is at the bottom of this page). $128.54 (List Price: $349.98) You Save: $221.44 (63%)

Designed for athletes of all levels, the Garmin Forerunner GPS has one goal in mind — a better you. Don't let its good looks fool you. The Forerunner 305 combines all of the popular features found in the 301 along with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, a new "courses" feature and robust wireless heart rate monitor for optimal performance.

Garmin Forerunner GP 305:

* Continuously monitors your heart rate, speed, distance, pace and calories burned so you can train smarter and more effectively
    * Garmin Forerunner GPS tracks your every move with a super-sensitive GPS that even works on tree-covered trails and near tall buildings
    * Receive a detailed post-workout analysis on the PC with included Training Center software

New Features:

* "Courses" feature lets you download recorded courses and compete against previous workouts
    * Sleek, stylish, lightweight design that "wraps" the GPS antenna around part of the wrist for a better view of the sky, improving reception during training
    * High-sensitivity GPS receiver provides faster acquisition times and improves tracking under trees and near tall buildings
    * Robust wireless heart rate monitor with softer, more comfortable chest strap eliminates cross-talk with other devices and helps you train in your zone
    * Customizable screens let you view up to 12 data fields on three data screens for immediate feedback on the information you need most when training
    * Multi-sport capability lets you seamlessly transition between sports without resetting the unit, so you can use it for running, biking and more
    * Easy to use no calibration required. Just turn it on and go.

Additional Forerunner 305 Features:

* Auto Pause pauses and resumes training timer based on a specified speed, so you never have to start or stop the timer
    * Auto Lap records lap data when you reach a specified time, distance or position, so you never have to punch the lap button
    * Virtual Partner lets you train against a digital person at specified time, distance or pace goals
    * AutoScroll cycles through data pages during a workout
    * Monitor your pedaling cadence as you ride with the purchase of the GSC 10. Like the heart rate monitor, this self-calibrating, wireless speed / cadence sensor uses the same robust wireless technology to measure and report your pedaling strokes per minute
    * Included Training Center software helps you tailor workouts to meet specific goals and objectives. Create your own workouts or use workout templates included on the CD. Interactive analysis tools let you chart performance overlaid on a map.
    * Data acquired by the Garmin Forerunner GPS may also be analyzed with MotionBased.com, a Web-based application that has partnered with Garmin. MotionBased provides in-depth analysis of your workouts, online mapping and route sharing that will take your training to the next level. Endurance athletes may also use the Garmin Forerunner GPS with TrainingPeaks.com, an easy-to-use Web-based training system designed to help athletes train for any event.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4601003&findingMethod=rr
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance one i got from target. I think it was around $60, it has a chest strap so I'm assuming its accurate LOL
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

It just goes around under your bra. The Polar one i have is comfotable since it's not hard plastic. Mainly elastic. :)