free food at work!

Options
Hi - I've been using MFP for almost three weeks. I think the toughest part about staying true to my calorie goals is free food at work! The temptations range from boxes of doughnuts to candy jars to leftovers from lunch meetings to today's centerpiece - a catered lunch party for a coworker's anniversary. This is stuff I used to just eat mindlessly (Hey - it's a treat!) but it obviously was contributing to some weight gain.

My close work friends know I'm calorie counting, but it's the type of environment where people will jokingly comment if you don't partake in the huge slab of lasagna or the slice of anniversary cake offered up at events. (it's a small company, so it's easy to feel like you're under the microscope). Since I don't look overweight (I'm doing this to get in shape for vacation and to finish losing the 20 lbs. I gained after college), certain people tend to make a huge deal if I eat light. It gets under my skin. Just needed to vent!

Replies

• Kevalyn34
    Options
    Vent away!!! You're going to look great on your vacation!
  • katieloui16
    Options
    I understand you 100% on the nagging co-workers thing! This happens to me often also, as I too don't have too much to lose, just want to eat healthier and get in shape for summer! So people don't always understand and it can make you feel quite left out. I just wondr how many of thesepeople secretly want to also lose weight!

Don't let obstacles throw you off, they're one of the things that if anything make you more disciplined to your new food & exercise lifestyle!
  • zydratethief
    Options
    Tell em its got Nuts or dairy and your either nut/lactose intolerant = permanent solution...

OR

You could tell em its not Kosher! lol
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    We always have freakin free food at work. And I love it all!!! It is so hard to stay away from it. If I'm not counting calories for the day then I lose control. As long as I am counting calories and can see how I will have to starve for the rest of the day to keep under my calorie goal then I do ok. I let myself have a calorie counting break for a couple weeks before Christmas through New Years just because it was so hard to refrain from all the Christmas goodies here at work ... and I paid for it! I gained 6 pounds! Luckily I've lost it all plus some now, but I'm just saying I know how you feel regarding goodies at work. It's a love hate relationship... :(
  • cyclone4731
    cyclone4731 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's tough. Used to work in a doctor office and we'd have drug reps come in 3 or 4 times a week bringing lunch for everyone.

BTW, having nothing to do with MFP or calorie counting or anything, the coolest palindrome I ever saw is:

A man, A plan, A canal, Panama
  • zydratethief
    Options

A man, A plan, A canal, Panama

omfg....genius!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You are smart to watch it now. 20# may seem like no big deal to others, but mindless eating adds a small amount of # each year, and we slowly creep up in weight until we have a "larger" problem.

You can approach it in terms of health, as well as your goal of trying to shake off those pesky 20#. For instance, if you have diabetes or heart disease in the family, you can also use that as your "excuse" to eat right, so that you can prevent these diseases from happening to you.

How about treating everyone to a healthy fruit/veggie platter? I find that people will munch on the food that is there, no matter what it is.
  • hannahpalindrome623
    Options
    Ok -that seriously IS the coolest palindrome ever.
    And cranberrycat - you're right! The extra lbs. really DID sneak up on me, until I weighed about as much as my husband, felt miserable and had to go up a couple pants sizes.
    I've done little things here and there since then to drop a few pounds (walking the dog, cutting out snacks now and then, etc), but this is really helping me to stay committed to it for once.
    This lunch starts in 10 minutes! Here's hoping they're at least serving salad :bigsmile:
  • Loki182
    Loki182 Posts: 31
    Options
    Funny you should post this today. We had a birthday party for a co-worker today and it was almost impossible to refuse a piece of cake and ice cream. Not to mention they ordered subs from a philly cheesesteak place for everyone... ack. Soo good, but I know it had to be so bad for me. I got a turkey sub but they put so much oil on it I could almost see completely through the paper that it was wrapped in... aside from the sub I managed to sneak away with just a tiny sliver of cake and a couple small spoonfulls of ice cream. I guess I will be hitting the gym tonight afterall.

For what it's worth though I managed to only eat the cake and leave all of the icing on the plate.

*Sigh* Why is it so hard to be good, but so easy to be bad?
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    There is CONSTANTLY food at my office too. I just have a small portion of whatever's going around, log it, and get on with my day.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Make sure you're spoiling your appetite all day long. If I'm not hungry, I can resist anything. If I get hungry, I have a really hard time saying 'no'.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Charmagne