Anyone know any good dinner ideas?

Options
I always seem to be stuck finding something to have for dinner, can anyone suggest something?

Replies

• NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My quick go to is chicken or fish with a veggie and a side.
  • jerinsmommy
    jerinsmommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Load up on veggies. I like to combine peppers, onions and cabbage. Add some diced chicken breast. I keep my veggies in the freezer so I don't need to add any oil when I cook them. Yes, even the cabbage can be frozen. When everything is done add your favorite sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy.
  • reikichris
    Options
    One of my favorites is Parma Rosa Pasta with Vegetables.

Use the Knorr Parma Rosa Mix (the Garlic and Herb is really good, too) with no margarine and fat free milk. Mix it with steamed vegetables (onions, julienne carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc.) and toss with Bow Tie or Tri-color rotini pasta. Top with Parmesean Cheese.

Very simple. Only takes about 20 minutes to make. The calories change depending upon what vegetables I have that day, but it is low cal and lo fat.
  • sarahs_irish
    Options
    I do a quick stir fry. You can use fresh vegetables if you have the time. But I just grab a bag of stir fry vegetables from the frozen section, cook my boneless skinless chicken or lean beef in a little bit of terriyaki sauce and add my vegetables. It really good with just a little bit of soy sauce too. I don't add any oil, i just use the juice in the wok or the pan from the meat and left over terriyaki sauce. If you want a little bit of carbs to go with it, cook some of those rice noodles or soba noodles. They are really good and a little goes a long way. Really quick and easy to cook. You just soak them in hot water for 5-10 minutes. Throw it all together in the same pan you cooked your vegetables and chicken with and you've got a really healthy meal. Fast too.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I always keep brown rice and stir fry veggies handy. Toss in about 3 ounces of chicken breast or and egg white and a little soy sauce. Quick and easy.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Load up on veggies. I like to combine peppers, onions and cabbage. Add some diced chicken breast. I keep my veggies in the freezer so I don't need to add any oil when I cook them. Yes, even the cabbage can be frozen. When everything is done add your favorite sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy.

I have never heard of feezing veggies so you don't have to add oil. Does this work well? Do the veggies still taste as good?
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    My quick go to is chicken or fish with a veggie and a side.
    Mine too!

You can also look into those steam bag veggies. Choose one that hasn't been seasoned so you can season it the way you want. They're pretty inexpensive too.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

I have never heard of feezing veggies so you don't have to add oil. Does this work well? Do the veggies still taste as good?

Yeah, the veggies will still taste fresh. What happens is that when they're frozen, the heating process creates a natural moisture when the veggies thaw, so they don't stick to the pan when you stir-fry them. An alternative to using oil, would also be to use some chicken broth [low sodium, preferably].
  • jerinsmommy
    Options
    When you freeze your veggies, they make their own juice as they thaw in the pan so you don't need any oil. I use fresh onions, but you can freeze them also. I get peppers and cabbage at the farmer's market when they are fresh. I load up when they are at the cheapest price and then clean them and freeze them. For peppers, cut in half or dice, clean and freeze. The smaller pieces take up less room in the freezer. For cabbage, I clean it and core it. Then I use my food processor to shred it. Put in gallon bags and freeze. I don't notice a difference in taste. I would suggest to just buy 1 head of cabbage and try it. If you don't like it, you aren't out much. You could just freeze half and use the rest fresh.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you can make stuff turkey

2 green bell pepper
    1lbs ground turkey or ground lean beef
    lowfat spaghetti sauce

if you know how to make stuff peppers use that receipe it is good low in fat
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    good idea on freezing, have you tried freezing tomatoes? Am wondering how they come out.
  • jerinsmommy
    Options
    Yes. I freeze tomatoes too. Just wash, core and freeze them whole. You can also dice them. When I thaw the tomatoes, I put them in the blender to puree. Then use this to make chili or whatever recipe that calls for tomato juice. You can also dice the tomatoes and use them in chili or sloppy joes. I like making my own spaghetti sauce. Any vegetable that is frozen has to be cooked once it is thawed. For instance, you wouldn't be able to use frozen cabbage for cole slaw.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    interesting. Thanks for the tips. I am going to try freezing my veggies this weekend :happy:
  • WolforA
    Options
    I also use pineapple juice, doesn't burn or turn sticky and really doesn't eveporate! It works and tastes great esspecially with chicken! I havn't used oil in over a year.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken, smoked salmon, or another kind of baked fish with a vegie and salad!!! Soup a couple times a week- It's working!
  • Indi1015
    Options
    Turkey Burgers with feta and spinach (I think this is close to an Atkins receipe) - my favorite dinner!

1lb lean ground turkey
    1 container of LF feta crumbles
    1 Egg
    1/2 cup chopped Spinach (I use fresh)
    1/4 cup of chopped onions
    dash of cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper
    optional 1 tbsp of finely chopped black olives

Mix all of the above ingredients and form burger patties. Spray a pan with cooking spray and cook.
    Put turkey burger on an whole grain English muffin with a slice of tomato and 1/2 tbsp of lite Ranch dressing

I usually eat this with a small side salad with Newman's Own Lite Balsamic Vinagrette.

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I do!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    tonight Im making baked chicken with a light panko breading, seasoned brown rice, Fresh Asparagus in cream sauce. with a side salad