Is my caloric intake too low?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to MFP. Based on my weight, height, gender and where I want to be, MFP recommended that I have 1,200 calories per day. It also asked how much I want to exercise. Should I eat my 1,200 PLUS what I burn in exercise? Is 1,200 too low?

69053.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• dskyer
    dskyer Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to MFP. Based on my weight, height, gender and where I want to be, MFP recommended that I have 1,200 calories per day. It also asked how much I want to exercise. Should I eat my 1,200 PLUS what I burn in exercise? Is 1,200 too low?

69053.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    U should always eat at least 1200 cals.. if u work out you really need to eat those too since your intake is the minimum...... Just log in your work outs and it will give you you cals for the day.. GOOD LUCK:bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how much do you want to lose per week? 1200 cals isn't enough for EVERYONE. I do eat 1200 a day and I also eat my exercise calories. however, the larger you are the more your body needs to keep you going. Also the more active you are the more you need. Definitely eat your excercise calories (or at least most of them). You can always adjust your goals too, if they don't seem to be working or if the deficit feels too low. :flowerforyou:
  • dskyer
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and weigh 154. I am on my feet pretty much throughout the day except when I have a lot of work (part-time from home). My exercise is usually walking around the block or playing with Wii Fit.

Thanks!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and weigh 154. I am on my feet pretty much throughout the day except when I have a lot of work (part-time from home). My exercise is usually walking around the block or playing with Wii Fit.

Thanks!

you are probably ok at 1200 then, but just to clarify for your daily excercise level what did you enter? Just make sure that matches your typical day (ex- you're clearly not sedentary, you are likelly lightly or moderately active)
  • dskyer
    Options
    I'm trying to get in at least 30-45 minutes of walking a day. Today was not good because of the heat and stickiness.

This is a great site...I love all of the support and encouragement. Thanks!

-Donna
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I suggest upping your calories and see what happens. 1200 is too low for you, I think. The less you have to lose, the harder it is going to be because it will have to be a slower loss. You simply cannot cut your deficit below a healthy level to maintain healthy weight loss, and 1200--given your lifestyle--is probably too low.

Read the post linked below to learn why sometimes we have to eat a little more to lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi