Disney World here I come!

Options
Any recommendations for taking on Disney world...

as GROWN UPS?!?!

NO kids!!!

I've been to Disney World once, when I was 14, and had a lot of fun, I remember thinking Epcot would be cool if I was older.. dating, dancing, drinking..etc.

And I've been to Disneyland a bazillion times, but always with a kiddo or two in tow.

But, since I got divorced last year.. I suddenly have all this ME TIME that I've never had before. I've never really been able to experience adult night life, etc. (I had my first child at age 19, so too young to go out before he was born...and then too busy or guilty afterward to make the time for adults-only vacations).

I'm not a heavy partier by any means, but I'd love to turn this vacation into a somewhat romantic/fun ADULT time. (The kids are on vacation with their dad)

So...

no diet talk allowed (we'll keep up our running for exercise but I'm not gonna worry about some splurges here and there)

What is a MUST DO while at disney world? My boyfriend and I will be there from Thursday next week until Sunday night.--we're actually arriving early wed morning, but are staying in Palm Beach that night to see Pearl Jam before we drive up to Orlando early Thurs morn.

I know it's going to be terribly crowded. But I'm trying to look at the bright side! We have park hopper passes that also allow us into the water parks and pleasure island.

any recommendations?

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options

as GROWN UPS?!?!

NO kids!!!

I've been to Disney World once, when I was 14, and had a lot of fun, I remember thinking Epcot would be cool if I was older.. dating, dancing, drinking..etc.

And I've been to Disneyland a bazillion times, but always with a kiddo or two in tow.

But, since I got divorced last year.. I suddenly have all this ME TIME that I've never had before. I've never really been able to experience adult night life, etc. (I had my first child at age 19, so too young to go out before he was born...and then too busy or guilty afterward to make the time for adults-only vacations).

I'm not a heavy partier by any means, but I'd love to turn this vacation into a somewhat romantic/fun ADULT time. (The kids are on vacation with their dad)

So...

no diet talk allowed (we'll keep up our running for exercise but I'm not gonna worry about some splurges here and there)

What is a MUST DO while at disney world? My boyfriend and I will be there from Thursday next week until Sunday night.--we're actually arriving early wed morning, but are staying in Palm Beach that night to see Pearl Jam before we drive up to Orlando early Thurs morn.

I know it's going to be terribly crowded. But I'm trying to look at the bright side! We have park hopper passes that also allow us into the water parks and pleasure island.

any recommendations?
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Let me know! I'm going with 13 others (kids and adults) in Sept/Oct. Haven't been there since I was 14 either. Hoping to lose all my weight by then so it's easier on my joints!
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options

any recommendations?

yes, taking me:bigsmile:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    If they are doing Star WArs weekends like they did last June you MUST be at MGM Studios for that! I loved Star WArs as a child so I thought it was way cool!! My 8 year old son thought it was the greatest thing EVER!!

Check out all the live shows. They are awesome. (Indiana Jones, Lion King, Finding Nemo, etc)

Ride that are a must...test track, soaring, tower of terror, space mountain
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :angry:<
    this is my jealous face

I've never been! You are going to have so much fun!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options

any recommendations?

yes, taking me:bigsmile:

:)

:smokin:

Hey, everyone's invited!!! I just cant' foot the bill! :happy:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Wow, not really sure what your plans are. R u stayin at the parks the whole time? Disney is a big place. They have Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM and Epcot plus Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. U won't be far from Cocoa Beach. Maybe 45 mins if u want a day there. Daytona Beach is about an hour and a half away. There are gambling cruises that leave there daily also,From Cocoa that is. Pleasure Island is lots of fun. Sea World, Universal Studios, Island of Adventure (lots of thrill rides). Let me know what u r interested in and I'll let ya know what is here ( which is quite a bit). It's hot and muggy here so what ever you are planning have plenty of water. I'll help ya out all I can. One thing that is cool is you can wake up on the east coast for the sunrise on the Atlantic and settle down with a beautiful sunset on the Gulf Coast.
  • anothergoat
    anothergoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh, I LOVE Disney World!!! We have been there 4 times and I can't wait to go back.

The place is huge. You could be there a week and not see everything. I can't even imagine dragging kids around and having a good time...it is so much more fun and relaxing to just be there as an adult.

I recommend the guide book "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" and the website "allears.net". The guide book has really good tips and suggestions based on who you are...teen, romantic couple, parents with kids, etc. The website has info and photos of everything.

We like Epcot the best (now that we're grownups) - be sure to stay for "Illuminations" at night. The German restaurant "Biergarten" is fun and very authentic. See the shows...they are all well done and they give you a chance to sit down. Downtown Disney is fun at night if you like clubs. Even the resorts are fun to explore as they are all themed and different. Lay on the beach at the Polynesian Resort at sunset and watch the fireworks go off over the Magic Kingdom across the lake.

Have a great time - I'm jealous!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. We are just starting to plan (think about) our next trip there in Feb. (we also went in Jan of' 07 - but it was 5 adults and 5 kids)

Must do rides and show (that we went to)

Everest (animal Kingdom)
    Rockin' Rollercoaster
    Tower of Terror
    Fantasmic
    Mickey's Philharmagic
    Splash Mountain
    Small World (just because)
    Lion king show
    Nemo Show

I didn't do much at epcot, so I don't have many ideas for you there.

Have fun!

The website mentioned above is actually www.allearnet.com and I like wdwinfo.com too.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Do NOT go to Blizzard Beach without some kind of water shoes!! I burned the bottom of my feet there & it ruined the next day for me! :noway: The cement gets COOKING!

Tower of Terror is a blast! (forgot which park it's at) And I would reccommend watching the parade one night at the Magic Kingdom, it's lovely!

Have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shannon... Tower of Terror is awesome!
    I got on that thing when I was pregnant (ofcourse I didn't know I was). I also agree with Ann on the Rockin' Rollercoaster. We're going to Disney next year around Mayish.

Have tons of fun!!!!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options
    Wow, not really sure what your plans are. R u stayin at the parks the whole time? Disney is a big place. They have Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM and Epcot plus Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. U won't be far from Cocoa Beach. Maybe 45 mins if u want a day there. Daytona Beach is about an hour and a half away. There are gambling cruises that leave there daily also,From Cocoa that is. Pleasure Island is lots of fun. Sea World, Universal Studios, Island of Adventure (lots of thrill rides). Let me know what u r interested in and I'll let ya know what is here ( which is quite a bit). It's hot and muggy here so what ever you are planning have plenty of water. I'll help ya out all I can. One thing that is cool is you can wake up on the east coast for the sunrise on the Atlantic and settle down with a beautiful sunset on the Gulf Coast.

we're really sticking to disney since we already have the tx and dont' have too many days. I dont' think we'll make any beaches or anything (unless we do it wed before the concert)
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options
    Oh, I LOVE Disney World!!! We have been there 4 times and I can't wait to go back.

The place is huge. You could be there a week and not see everything. I can't even imagine dragging kids around and having a good time...it is so much more fun and relaxing to just be there as an adult.

I recommend the guide book "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" and the website "allears.net". The guide book has really good tips and suggestions based on who you are...teen, romantic couple, parents with kids, etc. The website has info and photos of everything.

We like Epcot the best (now that we're grownups) - be sure to stay for "Illuminations" at night. The German restaurant "Biergarten" is fun and very authentic. See the shows...they are all well done and they give you a chance to sit down. Downtown Disney is fun at night if you like clubs. Even the resorts are fun to explore as they are all themed and different. Lay on the beach at the Polynesian Resort at sunset and watch the fireworks go off over the Magic Kingdom across the lake.

great! thanks!

the polynesian resort sounds like a great idea.. will they let us on property if we aren't guests? I'll check out the allears site too!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options
    Do NOT go to Blizzard Beach without some kind of water shoes!! I burned the bottom of my feet there & it ruined the next day for me! :noway: The cement gets COOKING!

Tower of Terror is a blast! (forgot which park it's at) And I would reccommend watching the parade one night at the Magic Kingdom, it's lovely!

Have fun! :flowerforyou:

thanks for the suggestion! I dont' have any but maybe I can pick up some cheapos in FL, less to pack that way!
  • mommy22girls
    Options
    Not sure what is still there -- I was there in 2001 (Oct.), but for night life, be sure to check out Treasure Island... It is a part of Disney and they have a lot of clubs and stuff. I hope that you have a great time! I wanted to go there for my honeymoon, but hubby didn't think it was a place to go without kids -- I am still trying to convince him that we need to leave the girls and go ourselves!!!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

Definitely go to "illuminations" at Epcot! When we went to Disney 2 years ago. We went to Illuminations twice! It is a MUST see.