Which machine to choose?

Options
Hi, I went the gym last night (for the first time) and there were so many machines to choose from. Treadmills, Elliptical and bikes(2 kinds). Which one should I choose? I tried all 3! The Elliptical is great, But I can only do it for about 3-4 minutes then it starts hurting really bad! Do you have another suggestions as to which one I should use? Im lost :cry:

Replies

• Chantelle160
    Options
    Walking on the treadmill is amazing exercise and a great place to start. :smile:
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i like the bikes
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    They are all a great way to exercise. Try mixing it up. One day do the elliptical, then treadmill, then bike. This way you are mixing up your exercise and you can see which one you like and gives you the results you want!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you find more comfortable! Everyone is different :] find something you enjoy and can stick with :D I cannot stand the elliptical haha i get sooo bored.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would use the elliptical and the treadmill. Exercise bikes don't do much unless you're doing a crazy spinning class. Start with the elliptical and do it for as long as you can. If it's just a couple minutes, that's fine. You'll start building your endurance as you go. Then go to the treadmill and do some interval training, as fast as you can go for as long as you can go and then a slower "rest" period, and back to fast.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • SimonLondon
    Options
    I found the Elliptical to be the easiest on my joints when I first started. Yes it feels hard and even now the first 10 minutes make my legs ache but once past that I can stay on for hours.

You could also try the treadmill on a slow speed but with a good incline.
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    I tried the bike for 20 min, then the treadmill for 5 then the elliptical for 5 haha and did some weights
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I vote for the cybex arc. I love it.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a goal to try every machine at my gym at some point to see if I like it. :) We have the Precor CrossRamps that I didn't want to use because it looked like a "skinny girl" machine. But now it's one of my favorites! Try them all, it certainly can't hurt! :)
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry the first night didn't go so well. Did you try any of the treadmills or bikes? Maybe try the treadmil until you get a little more used to being active. Dont push yourself so much that's you're in real pain, because that just makes it more likely to get burned out and quit. Hang in there!

Did you ask if someone was available to show you around on the machines? Maybe just changing a setting would help it feel better? (Staff at my gym will do this for free.)
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    I hate ellipticals!
    HATE them!!
    They make me feel all sloshy and motion sick.
    I don't really like bikes unless they have the upper body ergometer (meaning the bike thingy for the arms too.) I try to watch tv or do other things if my arms aren't busy too and then I find I have forgotten I am on a bike and just sit there...

I really like the treadmill cause even when I am slowly jogging I can read while I am on it and I can't forget that I am on the treadmill cause it'll throw me if I do! :)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Me too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Just starting out I would say go elliptical! I think they are fun. Plus you work your whole body instead of just your legs like on the bike, After that gets boring for you, I say go treadmill.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    When I am getting back into the gym routine I find a circuit like workout is good until you work the strength for some of the machines. Try 5 or 10 minutes on a few machines. Then you can keep working up how long you are on them. I like some kind of bike, elliptical, stairclimber combo. Ive been gym friendly for a lil while now so on the weekend when I have time to burn I can do 45 elliptical, 20 stairs, and 40 bike in whatever order. Then I stretch for 15 and just make the 2 hour daycare limit! I only get lunchbreak sessions during the week so 30-40 min max, so I try for a good push on Saturdays!
  • chunk3y_m0nk3y
    Options
    I love the ellptical because it is so easy on the joints. It is really hard to do at first if u arent use to it but then it does get a little easier. Like the 1 guy said..the 1st 10 min is really rough but once u get past that point it seems to be easier. I bought my own elliptical so I wouldnt have to go to a gym and I find its nice to use something that doesnt hurt to use it. You can feel ur muscles working and I love that feeling. The treadmill is great if thats wut u like. Its harder on the joints because of the impact. Im not saying u shouldnt use it because if u like it then go for it. Im not crazy about the bikes cuz for me if im going to be working out I dont want to sit on my butt. lol Some ppl really enjoy them so it really comes down to preference. What ever machine u really like the most use it. Switch it up some so it doesnt get boring. Good Luck and remember...u CAN do it!!
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Me too, love it!!!
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options

Me too!!! :flowerforyou:

Hmm... Not sure what this is
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When I first started I couldnt do but 5 minutes on the elliptical now I can do 30. But I like having someone to talk to me it makes it go faster. The treadmil is so boring to me and my feet feel like they go to sleep. I dont usually have that problem on the elliptical. Do what is the most comfortable for you especially until you get use to it. Or try a little of both.
  • bldg
    bldg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Where is it hurting when you use the elliptical?