Why I love ground Flaxseed, (a bit personal)

Options
I'm sure there is a list out there for why ground flaxseed is SO good for you but I have found two reasons to eat it everyday.

1. it cured me of my chronic constipation. For 10 years I suffered from painful trips to the bathroom, going only once a week about. I had to take a daily stool softener just to achieve this! I drank water, had a healthy fiber diet - but apparently not enough for my body... because I read somewhere about a homeopathic cure for chronic constipation was flaxseed. As advised I added 2 tbsp to my daily diet, it took about 2 months but it worked. I've been "regular" for the past 3 months and it's the best thing ever! LOL

2. Ever since my first son's Cesarean birth (I have two) I have suffered or should I say my husband and I have suffered from me being EXTREMELY dry down there. that problem is now gone!

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I love flax seed mixed into my yogurt. It is healthy for me and I love the way it tastes with yogurt. I never eat it any other way. Good stuff.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Where can you buy flaxseed? I hear many on hear talking about it.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've been known to use it in place of oils. Just put some ground flaxseed and water in the pan.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy flaxseed? I hear many on hear talking about it.

All health food stores have it, most drug stores carry a supplement, and most regular grocery stores have at least one form either in a packages cereal or by itself.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    You can get flax seed in the flour section of Wal-Mart. If you buy it already ground store it in the fridge. I love it in oatmeal and as a topping for my son's cereals. He used to suffer from constipation before we started adding the flax a few years ago. I also add it to pumpkin and banana breads.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go get this tonight. I've been using benefiber and its not helping with my restroom issues. I eat Kashi with Almond & Flaxseed but not everyday.

Thanks for sharing this tidbit!
  • Matterafun
    Options
    Just last night I used flax seed meal instead of flour or bread crumbs to coat my baked chicken. Yum!
  • SueLaboo
    Options
    I throw it in EVERYTHING...no one even knows it's there now...soups, stir-fries, smoothies. Kinda like spinach in lasagna...I've done that since the dawn of time and my kids thought lasagna was SUPPOSED to have 'green stuff' in it! LOL
  • Michi658
    Michi658 Posts: 1
    Options
    My doctor actually recommended Flaxseed to me. He said that adding it to every meal would help with the bathroom issue and with my goal to lose weight, since it helps you to feel full faster. I add it to everything I eat but only on my portions, such as spaghetti, cereal, yogurt. I didn't think to add it to my son's stuff, but now I will since he does suffer from constipation pretty bad.

830128.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My mom has been putting flax meal into her morning yogurt for years. I eat a flax meal muffin every morning. I love it with some cinnamon or cocoa powder. It's yummy and it keeps me full until lunch. It is also high in Omega-3s so your good cholesterol gets a boost and it also has little to no net carbs. Speaking of which, it's 11:30 and I still haven't eaten. Time to hit the fridge!

Costco sells ground flax meal. It's cold milled and so doesn't need to be refrigerated, but I still keep mine in the fridge. It's about $7-8 dollars for a LARGE bag.